Spell research with an accompanied skill tree

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by sammakonkorvat, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammakonkorvat

sammakonkorvat Avatar

I have always wanted an interesting spell system that is both logical and fun and I feel like most games fail in this aspect. This is one possible idea for how to get towards that goal. I have other ideas, but this is mainly about Spell Research which probably falls under crafting for the most part.

Actual spell research through (but not limited to) trial and error which allows for "mutations" and random effects to spells you are trying to make/discover. The effects of the spell are determined by the reagents used, your skill level(s), and the power words used in the spell. This would allow for (at least from a numerical standpoint) unique spells. If you are happy with the spell you can choose to save it in your spellbook. Certain rare reagents could prove to be especially useful in this. There could also be power words so powerful that a simple novice could not even use them (without risk at least).

Spells that you have discovered can be sold/taught to other players (possibly depending on your mastery of certain spell related skills and also the student's). If there is going to be a system where specific spells have a skill level of their own, then the newly taught player would have a very low level of the spell at first. If not, then it is determined by the general spell skill, this spell falls under. A single spell could theoretically fall under multiple spell disciples/skills.

There is hopefully going to be a smart system using the power words, that would allow a lot of flexibility in making spells beyond just simple number fluxuations. Optimally this system would allow for spells that the developer does not have to specifically "approve of" in the code. If that is not possible, another option would be a powerful tool (at least for the developer) for creating/approving new spells, so that adding them would be very easy. Creating the graphics for all this is obviously a problem, if there isn't an elegant solution that would make the process much faster. A lot of the similar spell effects could possibly have some kind of colour coding, which would at least help with not having to make every effect from scratch.

It is, of course, easy to talk about "smart systems" and "elegant solutions" without providing them but this is just an idea and those things can be further explored if need be. I hope this can spring some discussion about the subject and help create an amazing magic system for this game.

TL;DR
    I would like to see:
    - Spell research that has a skill tree and allows for random effects and therefore unique spells for you to sell/teach.
    - A smart spell system which allows for a lot of flexibility for many different spell combinations and effects
    - Unique (player created) spells that are also different in other ways than just numerical values.

Cazador likes this.
  2. joeymeyer

joeymeyer Avatar

I concur, an advanced spell system closely resembling the description above would be quite unique and very intriguing. Another game that I enjoyed for its unique feature was Magicka(http://www.magickagame.com/).
    Invoking spells was extremely enjoyable and committing them to memory was even better. DotA and DotA 2 both have this feature as well instilled in a single hero better known by "Invoker" (http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Invoker#Abilities) you are able to manipulate the few runes of power to create one of his 11 spells.

3. psykez

psykez Guest

I enjoyed AC's spell system until of course peapod came out and made it just something you could look up on a website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.