Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Spell stacking issue

Discussion in 'Release 13 Feedback' started by Isaiah, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

Since it's working for you, can you post some average numbers from 1 to 5 size stacks? I'm about to jump on but I did not observe any damage increases in previous sessions, but I also don't use fireball. But I do have Fire innates maxed.

Also, what's your Level and Int? Assuming you're also casting with reagents.

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The more I think about this the more I realize I do not like the idea of stacking and creating combos by stacking cards on top of each other.

The deck is cool but it seems to have some drawbacks when it comes to stacking of any kind. Creating combos and stacking icons is far too much work. Maybe just having the skill card for the combo is good enough. If we have the skills to create combos then maybe they should just let the combo card come up randomly instead.
    Or maybe they could just let us stack up the combo cards in our deck? For example an archer might not want to cast the arrow spell ever maybe he always wants to just have the combo with the spell and the arrow attack come up. Why not just give us the combo cards if we have the appropriate skills.?

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

docdoom77 likes this.
  3. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i started using some reagents to see the fire weapon spell and how it worked. - i stacked that one three times and only used the first level of reagents.

not sure if it is just that way for that spell, because it is new and not fully fleshed out, or if it is intended that way - but its how it went down a few times for that one. it didn't last longer or have a higher DOT, either.

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

When I fought you I was stacking 5 cards at a time. It works but it is tiring. I got more than double damage with my fireball spell too. Casting lots of spells is not good. I want to be able to do big damage with a spell not petty damage.

5. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

i'm in the 60's with a 30 int, if i min maxed i could go further with it .... but blink is to fun ......

it seems as unpredictible as death magic was in r12, i've had a 2 stack do 120 and a 5 stack do 40, a single glyph averages about 20 for me, I'm having a hard time determining if aim is a factor.

6. Borg

Borg Avatar

Deck management is unpleasant and cumbersome.
    Staying still buff practically useless in PVP.

7. hart15

hart15 Avatar

Yeah, the glyph stacking has become more of a chore than an enjoyable feature. Most of my friends hate this system, I just dislike it. I agree the devs should go back to the drawing board on this if they want to create a fun combat system. A bad combat system can destroy a good game.

8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

More on this later as I get more time to test. The problem with the Stillness Buff is that it fixes what it also breaks. :)

It's only designed to fix it so players don't want to run and jump all over the place. The problem is that when you think of Melee vs. Ranged this only favors the Melee and Ranged unless you're right next to one another. Which means someone is always going to have to move because it's a DPS war and if you don't move then you're literally swapping DPS and we can all count from 1 to 300 so it's fairly obvious that if someone has the buff and you don't, they're going to to probably win. If someone is already ahead of you in the DPS war and you're the one moving to them, they're probably going to win. So the net impact of the Stillness Buff becomes "Gee, I'm glad I'm winning AND getting a buff for it!" Where as the intent was never to give more of an upper hand to the person winning, it was just to get people to stop running around.

The Stillness Buff probably still accomplishes what it set out to do (stop people from running around) but in the process it widens the gap between Melee and Ranged fighting.

Three possible solutions to this....

1. Increase ranged weapons about TWICE as long as they currently are.
    2. Allow players to block spells and skills.
    3. Make CC spells like Confusion, Root, Stun, etc... last TWICE as long as they currently do. But create more counters that actively BLOCK being rooted or stunned in the first place. I don't mean having 20% resistance, I mean being able to say "I can't be rooted, period".

smack, Moonshadow and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Good point.

10. Borg

Borg Avatar

That buff fixes nothing, they just cant fix latency issue so they added this to force people stand still.
    So you can stand still enjoying your Static Automated Deck MicroManagemnt Combat system as far as you want in PVM and suffer it in PVP.

Moonshadow likes this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I agree.

Moonshadow likes this.
  12. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

Something else I'm not liking is that you either have to have a pve build or a pvp build, it may be unintentional but it will separate the community in the end, and I don't like that. I've gotten away with building a crappy deck for pve with my pvp build but I'm really just screwing myself out of faster xp gains and this sort of thing can build resentment. I want people who are into pve to enjoy there pvp if and when they sample it and having to rebuild your character for such is just not cool. On the other side of the coin, I don't want to be a drag on my party during pve just because i have a pvp build.

13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The good thing is we should have enough skills to have multiple decks. Even in pve we might want to use multiple decks. A PvP deck might be the same deck we would use against fast moving creatures because it might have more stuns and roots. It should be ok.

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

There was a point made about spells doing less damage without stacking but we can get more spells fired off and do the same damage over time. There is a problem for a mage who does this. They will run out of mana after fighting one strong opponent. Also if they ever force us to use reagents then mages are completely screwed. There will be no way a pure mage can compare with any other style if we are ever forced to use reagents and have to use so much mana or the stress of stacking. Even if the reagents were level 3 skills or higher because all I use are those skills at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.