Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Staff vs dual wands - enchants need to be fixed

Discussion in 'Items & Inventory' started by Xee, Apr 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

1. Title: Staff vs dual wands - enchants need to be fixed
    2. Reproduction Rate: 100%
    3. Blocker? Yes (with out the fix why would anyone want a staff besides looks?)
    4. Details: I have been bring this up a few times. Staff enchants really need to be doubled up to compete with Wands. Changing wands to single hand only would not be a good fix as it would mage the melee and bow classes way over powered. In order to maintain Balance the Enchants for 2h needs a major boost or is really not worth it. Attached is a picture of my enchanted / Master worked wands vs the staff I just Enchanted 3/3 to show the base stats of dex and int vs 2 wands. for a Caster its all about the stats not weapon dmg. Even the Attunement which is one of the more important can't compete with 2 wands. Please fix I view this is critical as we have nice patterns coming but no reason to use the staffs.
    5. Steps to Reproduce: enchant 2 wands 3/3 with high stats, do the same for staff. you get twice the stats always with wands over staff.
    6. User Specs:N/A
    [​IMG]

Nelzie likes this.
  2. Berym

Berym Avatar

Something that needs to be addressed with all 2h weapons, surely? Give them double enhancement value?

Rentier and Nelzie like this.
  3. Talimar

Talimar Avatar

It's very telling in regards to making a build for staffs in regards to damage output. When you build a mage staff, you go for melee stat boosts because of the additive effect of melee bludgeon skills. The loss of shield defense bonus for even a high tier earth staff means that you are just waiting and hoping that your ability will crit or stun more then whether or not your bonuses for casting is significant. As such, you're specialization skill is going to favor bludgeon as opposed to the preferred magic. (in this case, earth.)

Choosing a wand to make your casting more noticeable however means that your damage output is reduced due to the loss of weapon damage in regards to bludgeon skills. As your earth stats percs aren't sufficient to overcome the staff value. As an earth user, I need to use mace to keep reasonable dps. 1h mace and shield if I need to offtank. (except bunnies... bunnies don't like me.)

*a top tier Attuned earth staff that was pure earth damage and geard for magic crit bonuses only created an output difference of about 60 damage on a crit with a gm earthquake. (sadly, it's a twig and not really useable except for decoration.... something like 20 durability.)

A dual wand setup will give you closer to 80-120; if they are bad wands. (comparted to the damage output of 1h mace and a stat-boost shield.)

1h mace and shield however outperforms earthquake bonuses in regards to groundpound + earthquake totals.

(*I want a staff in regards to damage though, for fizzle ratios. I want a staff personally because smacking people with a stick is kind of the playstyle my character developed....but they're all non-simple staffs.. skulls... crystal spikes, etc. etc. )

Getting a staff to order is very hard because high tier wood crafters already know how much of a waste of materials it will be to make a proper staff.

jfatino likes this.
  4. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Even with Bludgeon factored in the wands have 5-15 dmg vs staff 7-22. You still can achieve with those skills descent dmg as well. which makes Stats still the weakest factor. Staffs and wands although supporting of Bludgeon do not get the same masterwork abilities of maces etc as they were more geared towards casters. I agree with the Berym its not just staffs. Masterworks has been addressed as I noticed it gives double stats but the enchant side is half.

jfatino likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.