Star Citizen - down to its last 1600 alpha slots

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canterbury, Apr 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Feel silly asking these questions here... but...

I have a Freelancer package, pledged a long time back.

Now they have Freelancer variants? Is there a way for me to specify which variant I'd like to fulfill my pledge package, or am I stuck with the base model?
    I'm thinking I might like the exploration variant.

Thanks in advance.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

You are stuck with the base model unless you either purchase the complete variant to it, or purchase a variant upgrade. You can go to the RSI store and see the differences. Upgrade to a variant type is cheaper if you have the ship in question.

Edit:
    For example, the F7C-S Hornet Ghost Upgrade is only $15, but you must have a Hornet in your Hangar already.
    The F7C-S Hornet Ghost already upgrade is $125.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Just tossing in a quick note that the Freelancer variants aren't out yet, so Rufus can't actually go to the store to 'see the differences' as you are suggesting to him because they aren't there yet. Basically, there have been some images posted online of what they will likely end up looking like, and we think we've got the dev's nomenclature for them correct... but the actual ability to upgrade to them doesn't exist yet. Hopefully it will soon. But it's not there yet.

Time Lord and Sir Bradley White like this.
  4. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

Ah, yeah, forgot to mention that. For ships that have variants, what I say applies, but for ships that don't, like Canterbury mentioned with the Freelancer, it doesn't yet apply. My bad.

So far only the Hornet, Aurora, and Origin 300i have variants in the store.

Time Lord and Canterbury like this.
  5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Thanks, Sir Bradley.

So I could purchase an upgrade, apply it to my LTI Freelancer, and have a variant ship while retaining my LTI?
    (When the variant models are available, of course)

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Yes, and I will be doing exactly that, for example, with my own Freelancer.

They are pretty good with keeping the LTI thing if you already have it on a ship. Another example is later this year people with LTI Aurora's will be able to sidegrade to the other starter ship, the Mustang (which isn't formally released yet), and have LTI on that Mustang, even though the Mustang will never actually be sold with LTI (thus creating a pretty rare ship in the process). I bought a spare Aurora, while there was still LTI, precisely for that purpose!

Time Lord and Sir Bradley White like this.
  7. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

Well, Canterbury got to it before me. :)

Good to know though, because I got the F7A MILITARY HORNET UPGRADE while it was available for that limited time.

Time Lord and Canterbury like this.
  8. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Yeah, the Hornet upgrade is being treated, essentially, like a car body kit. It modfies the nose of the ship and some flight dynamics, but what's underpinning it remains your existing LTI hull.

I have one of those upgrades. Still in two minds as to whether to put it on my LTI Super-Hornet or not... but I was happy to support the veteran's charities by purchasing it in the first place, regardless.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. smack

smack Avatar

Yep, I'll be upgrading my Freelancer also when that's available! Is there some handy table out there that shows all the ships, their features, etc?

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

You mean something like this: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ship-specs ?

Time Lord and smack like this.
  11. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

People hacked the graphics files and got a look at them, surmising from the walkarounds what extra space, weapons, etc, they have. Google 'freelancer variants' and look for videos on it. There's quite a few.

12. smack

smack Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

14. smack

smack Avatar

15. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

Good luck with that project!

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

What I'd really love to see is a long range version of the Freelancer with the same "Ghosting" as the F7C-S Hornet Ghost Upgrade. A Blockade Runner.

That would be my ideal ship. Small, stealthy, long range exploration vessel.

I actually played Eve for quite a while... I flew a maxed out Anathema... as a fleet scout... I figured if you could catch me, it was a fair cop. :)
    I also had deep pocket friends, and Anathemas are cheap on the grand scale of things... Even though it's the coolest looking ship in the whole game. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Numa

Numa Avatar

Just be careful with the data on that page - it's last update was Oct 31, 2013 and a lot of stuff is highly outdated. The Gladiator for example is clearly shown to have two engines but the ship-specs datasheet on it still reflects a single engine.

The Star Citizen wikia page is more up to date.

18. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I'm not seeing any reason why that kind of armour won't be purchasable, in game, for the Freelancer. That's a key thing about Star Citizen, that I don't think it well understood in general by many (not saying this in direct reference to you, Rufus), which is that all the ship hulls will be very modifiable in game. I think the concept of variants has muddied the water; people think they're the only way to get a different version of a particular ship.

In some ways, I'd rather they just sold vanilla versions of everything, to reinforce to people that once they get in game they will be able to change engines, armours, weapons, electronics packages, etc, etc, on every ship.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

No reason to not include me in that group, Canterbury. I'm ignorant of many details of Star Citizen, and not ashamed to say it. Ignorance is a correctable condition, and I'm educable. :)

I'm glad to hear it. :) That's even better, if I can start with my hull and mod it to do what I want it to.

Sir Mike Dragon and Time Lord like this.
  20. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Yup, that's the whole concept. Choose a hull that's closest to what you want to do, then mod it out. So you'll never make a great racer out of a big and heavy hull, and you'll never make a great fighting ship out of a hull that has limited hardpoints to plug weapons into, etc. You just take your time and find what you want to do, and work towards making it happen. Maybe it will be possible with your first hull; maybe it will create a goal to buy a new hull in game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.