Starting Equipment/Making Money

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Baldrith, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I was talking to a friend of mine who had some valid/good questions about when we first start in this game...

Once we venture out in the world will we be naked with no armor/weapons to try to earn a living or gather some resources to craft with...or will it be like UO and we will get a bag of 'newbie' clothes and weapons depending on what you chose when you started the game?

We were thinking it would be fun if you had to go out with your bare hands and slap creatures to slowly aquire useful items/sellables to get started in this new world of ours.

Not everyone is going to have the items from the shop ie crafting tools etc...so to craft your own starter tools or to buy some from someone else you will need a source of income/ability...

Questions we were just discussing...and perhaps it's too early to know...but maybe some discussion on this would be fun and helpful....

2. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Just give me a candle, a knife, and an empty book.

3. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

I would like it if you started out with something to be your profession. Maybe a question is asked at the character creation screen along the lines of what career you will start out with. Miner, logger, swordsman, crafter, archer, etc... Then you get some really basic tool to help you begin your craft upon entry into the world.

And, if I read this right and the fighting/crafting trees are separate things in game (ie. you can level them up separately) then maybe it would be 2 questions along the lines of what crafting would you start with and what fighting skill you would start with.

Just popping out an idea that might not even be good.

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  4. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Yep awesome idea. It seems like they did ask you what you are going to do Mage or fighter and you'd get some outfitting based on that...maybe they asked about your career too because I remember the scissors and thread in my bag too yay...And the book and candle haha.

5. smack

smack Avatar

It would be interesting if you were asked about any class or profession type questions during character "creation". I think it would be opposite of what they have in mind though. The way I would do it is to use the conversation system. However you enter the world, you would simply just walk up to an NPC and ask them about that profession. Like if you're interested in being a miner, find an NPC miner trainer and talk to them. Perhaps they will give you some starting gear, recognizing you as someone new to town or simply because you're interested in that profession and they want to get you started on it.

6. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

As there are no classes in SotA I don't think class trainers or NPCs would make sense. I could see trainers for specific skills, but there isn't the idea of having to pick a class and then be locked into that class for your char.

7. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

Trainers in the sense that WoW has would make no sense here. However, I would love to see a mixture of the UO skill training from a vendor, and being able to do that same aspect with other players.

8. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

In Titan Quest you started out with nothing but a copper dagger and what you became was all up to you, I'd be more than fine with that.

*Copper because it was set in ancient Greece, so in SoTA it could/should be an iron or steel knife.

9. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

It'd probably be just some very basic weapons. A sword, dagger and or club. A few reagents if there's regs. Or maybe stuff you pick up through some sort of newbie introduction quest. I remember doing those in plenty of games. In UO the one in Haven was a good little intro to teach the basic UI.
    I particularly enjoyed those in Elder Scrolls games :)

10. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I'd expect there would be a small tutorial starting area that would boot you out the door with some small basic staples. From what was given in the RG interview, it seems pretty likely there's not going to be a lot of hand-holding, but most RPGs don't start you completely naked. :D

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yeah, it's a room with no doors, a chair, a brazier and 2 chickens :)

12. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I'm at home already! Are the walls padded?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.