Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Stealth/hiding & vanish/shadowform

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Lord John Whorfin, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord John Whorfin

Lord John Whorfin Avatar

Hello ! I've talk with a lot of people about it, and nobody look like to know the real truth about this 4 skills.

I explain myself, and i hope we'll be able to have a DEVS answer to it, to finally have a light on all this skills.

1:Stealth & Hiding: How really work this skill ? How they are programmed to work ? If i got 100 stealth and 40 hiding, did i get more chance to get reveal by a monster or a player(PVP) VS if i got 100 hiding and 100 stealth ? How the programmation math work for them ?

If i got 100 stealth, is that mean i cant be reveal by monster except if i walk throught them or if i use an ability ? Cause right now im at 80 of this skills and i got reveal by any monster they look in my direction same as if i wasnt stealthed....

2: Vanish and hiding & Stealth and shadowform: IS this both skills together should stack ? Right now they arent look to stack. And if they dont stack, its ok but, whats the benefit to level both of them ?

So globaly, is that possible to a devs to take time to put light on all this question about how this skills are setted to work please? That would be really appreciated

Thanks you.

2. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

@Chris Did the troubled zones that stealth wasn't working correctly ever get addressed?
    As far as the stealth itself, the higher your skill the closer you have to be to get revealed by NPC's is how it "Used" to work.
    0-100 is the same vs Players either you have it or don't. your still a shimmer.

3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I have been asking myself these same questions.

The Moon tree seems to have longer duration (and requires reagents) with a lower stealth level. I figure something must be missing because the moon tree is sub-par to the other even though it costs a lot more.

Fister Magee and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  4. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

If I remember right the moon tree is usable in combat, and has a shorter "cast" time.. been awhile. But stealth was my bread and butter.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Maybe it is bugged or I was unlucky because I can cast either in combat and neither one works. I think the cast times are identical, not 100% though.

Retro and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  6. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by Stealth and Hiding...

Camouflage and Silent Movement are two different buffs that, to my knowledge, don't stack. If you feel like you're getting spotted too easily, that's because they're not meant to be an invisibility, so you have to make sure that you're constantly behind your target.

Vanish and Shadowform are the traditional invisibility abilities and currently don't seem to have any disadvantage. Subterfuge stealth is supposed to allow the player to remain in stealth even after doing certain actions (activating switches, lockpicking, etc).

P.S.- some zones are broken and make the enemies ignore stealth altogether; that's a bug. The Distract skill has a tendency of making enemies aware of your presence; it's not worth using at the moment.

I personally don't see any benefit of using both right now. Vanish seems to be an ability that allows you to hide while in combat and you will eventually be able to do things without breaking stealth.

4EverLost likes this.
  7. Lord John Whorfin

Lord John Whorfin Avatar

Thanks Gix, by stealth and hiding i was meaning Camouflage and silent movement, sorry for that old way to spell it. So the fact is, even at 100 hiding and 100 stealth i'll always being reveal 100 feet away in front of a mob ? Thats totally no sense if its suppose to be like that, at this point its totally useless. At 100 hiding and 100 stealth i should be able to walk hided everywhere i want without being reveal except by someone use reveal spell OR if i walk throught a mob or totally at 1 feet in front of him.

But right now a monster reveal me at the same distance in front of him than if i was not hided. Correct me if i'm wrong but its a no sense. Archer can shoot us 50 feet away, and mage maybe 75 feet away ? (number are just for exemple). If im not hided and i pass at 50 feet in front of an archer he start to attack me. At the moment, if im waling with silent movement at 50 feet away in front of an archer, he'll reveal me and start to attack me, exactly the same as if i wasnt hided, so imo for me its totally no sense and it should be fixed.

And i'll be really happy to have a devs comment about this thread, a talk to a lot of people who lvl this skills and realise its totally useless the way it work right now.

8. Gix

Gix Avatar

@Lord Edward Sweyn Well, I personally don't want stealth to be identical in function than invisibility... so having to avoid line-of-sight is a concept that I welcome with open arms. With that said, I don't think the character should visually turn transparent for the user as it's somewhat communicating invisibility and, thus, players have certain expectations.

With a 100 stealth (which isn't the max, btw), I'd expect being able to sneak super close to them so long as I'm not directly in front of them.

As for monsters spotting you from a distance, if you're having issues with stealth-play, try looking around for other scenes and see if you're having the same issue. The West Perennial Trail is a good example of a scene where stealth hardly ever works... whereas the East Longfall Wetland is an area where stealth does work. Etc...

The biggest issue for stealth (other than the fact that Camouflage is a colossal pain to level up), is that the Distract skill (which enables you to force mobs to turn around so that they're not facing you) 9 out of 10 doesn't work... "doesn't work" meaning it has a high probability of revealing you to the enemy.

I'd love to have a dev talk about stealth but, they've made it a business of completely ignoring the matter. Chris has mentioned before that he tested it by sneaking around to skip content... and that's about it.

The way I understand it: Stealth is sound, Invisibility is vision.

Tahru and 4EverLost like this.
  9. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

So, I have Camouflage at 40 and Silent Movement at 45+ (really only wanted it for the tier below it). Anyways, I use Silent Movement with some degree of success. Moving behind a target won't break stealth, since they are not looking at you. If you are in front, yes, they can spot you. It really depends on line of sight. I'm honestly not sure on the range at which they find you, so can't say too much on that. Either way, just maneuvering around correctly while in Silent Movement, I can usually get 3/4 of the way to where I'm headed, until it's unavoidable that I'm seen (usually because I turn a corner and there's something staring me in the face). And I agree with others: I don't want complete stealth/invisibility; I don't want WoW style stealthing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.