Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Still getting top dollar for loot in Owl's Head

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by Kara Brae, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I just waddled all the way from Novia to Owl's Head just to sell my loot. The Ardoris blacksmith offered me 1564 gold for it, but the blacksmith in Owl's Head pays 2850 gold for the same loot, so it was worth the waddle. I didn't enjoy it, and I don't enjoy feeling obliged to return to Owl's Head again and again when I am on the other end of the map. Please make other towns attractive for adventurers who earn their living selling loot!

2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Dear Kara, that is by design.

In fact if the economy is well balanced you could turn a profit by buying in some regions where some stock is plentiful and going to sell it to a merchant thats been out of stock for a time.

I'm not sure however that the AI for economy is that far yet, but that was part of UO and a great way to keep people entertained and travelling, making the world feel more alive.

I remember in UO people would often risk their whole day worth of crafting by moving it all on a pack animal just to get the best prices. Then it would even create the fun situation of people standing next to the blacksmith and then asking you "hey were you going to sell all this nice steel to the NPC, cause I'd like to buy them slightly higher in price and melt them to continue to train my blacksmithing"

The economy broke very fast in UO so not many people remember those things, but you had to shop in different towns for each town had different prices on reagents for example. Sometimes a very big difference. Britain might have had nightshade for 2 gold, while moonglow had them at 8 gp, yes that meant you could buy all the stock in britain and turn around and sell it for 100% profit at moonglow, or 200% profit on vendors as big packs for those people who didn't want to shop around.

That the economy becomes dynamic and real like this is a must IMHO :)

3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

We can't be talking about a balanced economy when 3/4 of the map is empty, and every player gets funnelled only to Owl's Head.o_O

4. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Maybe they're testing to see if price difference work, and since you're coming over to Owl's Head, I guess they can say it does?:D

5. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Ha. Yeah right.

The imbalance in vendors purchasing mob trash is just a symptom of different things being added at different times.

Once there is a balance across Novia and Hidden Vale then we will see which towns are truly popular. Right now it's insane to not sell at some vendors and this is a synthetic favoring of certain locations.

6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thats true @Kara Brae but I'm trying not to be so critical of huge impact design decisions anymore since I've been brought to the dark corner of the room and repeatedly told not to really express my opinions on things I didn't really understand. That actually means everything that actually is important (according to who knows who)... Because all my programming experience and work with freeshards, cryengine, unity, unreal engine, cloud servers and even EA itself is to be disregarded.

There was also another special forum rule that was added just to prevent lil me from talking about my high school days when I played UO with a passion. Noone want to hear about that too it seems... I would get modded and or banned if I started again.

So I'm left with telling it how it is, if at least I knew who makes those decisions and why then perhaps I could say "hey maybe its time to give that task to someone else"... but then again even in DEV+ there is very very little info as to what are the priorities, who is responsible for that feature, what is the math, why this is being done before the rest of the system is ready.

So I must accept and just bow my head I guess, however pathetic that might seem to me.

Truth is, I live in constant fear that I might get banned and I'm not really enjoying myself even if I'm a supposedly "honored" early backer.

So I just try to explain simple stuff like this, where it came from, and try to inject little side-suggestions about systems I know are not really important... (in other words that wont offend anyone at the top of the pyramid)

Now if you ask me, YES in the big picture there would be TONS of things I would do to get this to make sense :( Starting with a good AI...

argyle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.