Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Still unable to load game online or offline mode from steam install.

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Umuri, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

2. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Are you able to find any of the logs for sota from steam which show what it was doing?

3. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Jaesun likes this.
  4. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

No logs, sota doesn't generate any logs at this point.
    Had a discussion with Atos about it just to ensure there wasn't a hidden logfile I was missing.

For the same reason that "Install it on another computer" isn't a valid fix. It's a hack to get around the issue. If portalarium is going to utilize steam, then it should work.
    I could fire it up in a VM and be fine, but that doesn't help diagnose nor fix the problem, nor make it any less critical.

5. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Still cannot play online.
    Still cannot play offline with existing characters.
    Still cannot create a new offline character.
    [​IMG]

Still cannot enter the game in any capacity.
    Build 862 according to options->multiplayer, which is the only place i can find it at this early stage of login.

6. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

:(

OK, stupid basic stuff, what antivirus do you have? have you forcefully approved both exe's? a number of antivirus programs have decided theres an issue with sota.. cos
    sounds like that is a very likely issue

7. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

In the past weeks, I have done the following to error check:
    Purged out SOTA's registry keys, application data folders, and even tried it on an entirely different user profile created brand new.
    Reinstalled most windows services by hand.
    Reinstalled steam after manually purging it out.
    Uninstalled antivirus and switched to two different ones. Currently on MSSE, which there's no excuse for having a conflict with.
    Booted into three different clean environments to scan and remove any infections.
    Manually deleted and re-added every firewall rule pertaining to SOTA and cart-blanc'd the exes and folders just for good measure.
    Enough manual file cleaning/hotfix installs/patching that it's basically everything but an entire windows clean install, which i legally cannot do on this system as windows licensing does not allow a clean reinstall over this machine without it purging the existing license which is only valid for one install.

Considering no other game I have on this system has anything close to this problem(Tested over 50 in my steam library and 40 outside of it), even if it is an infection there's obviously something wrong on port's code that nothing else does.

The fact that offline mode cannot even create a new character tells me something's horridly wrong in port's handling process of the connection, at a minimum.
    Not that I don't appreciate your help liz, you do great work, but this is above community help paygrade.
    The fact that there's not even any logging to submit to help this is aggrivating, as is the fact that Atos himself couldn't even see the post while it was pending moderation for 4+ days.

8. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

I know but 30+ years in IT, Ive been and seen a lot, which is why I try to help, of course it is easier to help when you can physically see and look. Plus, you are a well known and I feel for you not being able to play on the computer you wish.. The fact you got a steamguard warning makes me think somethign somewhere is being remembered, but the last thing anyone wants to hear is completely blow away your whole setup and reinstall windows et al just to wipe some hidden setting in say steam or the av. I know a number of antiviruses hate sota, and as we know its not a virus, but, they dont like the P2P portion of say the patcher especially, or the map dll..

9. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Also, just for amusement sakes and because i finally had some free bandwidth to blow on yet another reinstall, retried with official installer. same problem.
    Cannot play online, or offline, with either steam or official install.
    Entirely blocked from the game.

10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Did you allow the firewall to allow all the ports the game needs?

11. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Can you please show us your PC specs? And OS version?
    Also did you check the sota log to see if you see anything weird in there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.