Storm Giant issues

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Xee, Jan 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

01/02/2022 10:14
    Title: Storm Giant issues
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? yes
    Details: No Xp from Storm Giant. As well there needs to be away to let people enter the fight but not leave. every time we do the giant people get locked out because someone got to close so we end up using a GM potion to summon players into the circle. at one point there was away to click on the outer air wall to enter. but its not there anymore.
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz (16) System RAM: 40761
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 GPU RAM: 5980
    SotA.Win.64.1498.Date.12.20.21
    Area: POT_forest_metropolis_01c_template/Silverdale Market
    Area Display Name: Silverdale Market
    Loc: (59.1, 38.0, 236.5)
    Debug: UE9UX2ZvcmVzdF9tZXRyb3BvbGlzXzAxY190ZW1wbGF0ZXxTaWx2ZXJkYWxlIE1hcmtldHwoNTkuMSwgMzguMDEsIDIzNi40NjIpfCgwLCAtMC4wOTUsIDAsIDAuOTk1KXwzNDkuMDkxNnw5LjU4MjE5MXw0Ljc0NjU4Mg==

Chiasma, tomcat_de and Time Lord like this.
  2. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

If killing the giant is not giving any xp I would think that should be considered a bug and not just feedback. But maybe that was related to the GM potion?

Sannio has stated that non one is supposed to be able to get into the ring once the fight has started. While I think that doesn't work so well in practice and should be changed in some way, I'm also not sure using the GM potion is quite appropriate to get around it.

tomcat_de, Time Lord and Alley Oop like this.
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You killed a Frost Giant in Jotungrund (the normal spawned ones) and received no xp? But at the time you did have an active GM potion power on you?

Or did you summon one using the GM potion and received no xp? GM summoned creatures have no loot or xp (as people would exploit the crap out of that).

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Gwendolyn Obscuro

I'm sure Xee is aware of that. He was in a party that killed the regular frost giant but used a potion to be able to summon other players to him. I would think the giant should have given xp and so his post should indeed be considered a bug, I was just speculating that the gm potion could have somehow caused the issue.

Of course since this is currently a feedback thread on frost giant issues, the biggest problem is he still regens when players use knockdown/knockback, gust, lightning storm and pets that use those types of attacks. And in large groups it is really hard to keep everyone from using any of those.

Chiasma, Anpu and Time Lord like this.
  6. Echondas

Sometimes the XP takes a little time to kick in -- or only happens after the enemy is looted like with undead?

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Thanks for the report! Regarding the giant not giving XP, that's a bug and now issue #70090.

Regarding not being able to get through the "wind wall" after the fight starts, that's intentional. No one in or out after the fight starts until the giant dies, or everyone fighting him dies/leaves.

8. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I understand this Sannio but its become a huge issue especially with pug and pets trying to stop people from accidently triggering the fight which than leads to an hour plus trying to reset everything the wall does not go down even when all are dead inside all because people out side have agro from being able to heal etc.. so all have to than leave the instance and find another giant again... I think out of the 4 times our guild has done since release only 1 of them times we managed to successfully not accidently triggered... we love the hard fight but that mechanic is not people friendly which does push people to skip this content unless they have a good group of regulars.... discord well great to help , does not help when playing with multiple languages and translation time between leader and those that need to follow. :)

9. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

Not sure if it is possible to play the "wind wall" animation but delay the wall collision for 10 seconds after the fight starts.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

yeah I just pm'ed Sannio on this if it could be a slower ramp up to the wall or even a cast time for the giant to do an animation long enough that the stragglers can see the animation starting to get inside. that wall is pretty instant lol.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Gwendolyn Obscuro

I think this is an excellent solution. It still keeps people from joining the battle half way through and there would still sometimes be someone who hasn't done the battle before who just runs up to the giant before everyone is even in scene, but it would at least account for the lag you get in groups in that scene. The way it is now even if everyone is lined up and waiting for the group leader to run in you might just see him pop from one place to the other and not be able to get into the ring in time.

12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

What actually triggers the battle? When anyone gets near the giant?

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Agro does. so if someone gets too close than all best be inside or its done. lol same goes for pets... nothing worse than slow pets showing up late and coming across that field lol. its like watching your dreams get crushed before your eyes lol

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Ok yeah I can see now that the party can be scattered around but not in the area that the actual battle takes place, because someone can run up to the giant and then start the battle.

I wonder if something like, once a person in a party activates the battle, all of the people in the party are then teleported to the battle area?

FrostII and Time Lord like this.
  15. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

From Sanio:

The wall goes up when the giant engages in combat with anyone. The wall isn't an ability of his. It happens as part of a larger mechanic that only knows if the giant has aggro on anyone. Also, some time after the giant loses aggro, the battle should reset. I think that reset time is 2 minutes. Are you waiting a full 2 minutes before reset? Or how long are you waiting before you give up and try to reset the scene?

The giant shouldn't be able to see/sense anyone outside of the wall. Any people on the outside of the wall should not be in combat with the giant or have his aggro, and shouldn't affect that battle reset time. What makes you think the giant has aggro on an avatar outside the wall? Is there some visual indication or is it just an assumption?

Keith "Sannio" Quinn

FrostII, Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  16. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

so next time we run need to pay more attention to see if the reset is a person that is agro. my assumption is that a hot spell is cast and that agro generated is from the person outside. but I didnt take the time to study do if anyone does run it again which I hope to this weekend we can make some better test notes :)

FrostII and Time Lord like this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Setup a pet teleport hotkey.

Time Lord and FrostII like this.
  18. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I have one and keep a tight leash on my pet. but not everyone is on the same page which is always the people issue :)

Time Lord, FrostII and Barugon like this.
  19. Echondas

Maybe just have the giant not agro until someone actually hits it?

Tiina Onir and Time Lord like this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

That sounds like the most reasonable of all solutions. The Giant, so large powerful, and we as colorful and insignificant as we are by comparison, why should the giant pay us much attention at all, unless we become the unwelcomed ants in his home. That solution would open up many other possibilities within that instance.
    ~TL~

Echondas, Tiina Onir and Xee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.