Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Strength should have ZERO impact on how many hit points you have

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Feb 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

If we're going to have STR, DEX, and INT be a mandatory drain on experience and required to be competitive at higher levels, then why not just bake it into the cake automatically? What use case is there to not have max hit points? What use case is there to not have max DEX, STR, and INT?

I think where the current system falls flat is that strength is still adding hit points. Strength does enough without doing that too. By design, we're making STR a required attribute to max out. Please let's stop doing that.

Rennik, Sara Dreygon and Adam Crow like this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Not sure I'm understanding what you mean by "adding hit points"......
    Are you referring to your HP's as shown by the numbers in your health bar, or adding "hit point" damage on a successful hit?

3. Drocis the Devious

Sorry, no.

I'm talking about the more strength you have the more hit points you have. So a person that doesn't level strength is going to be missing out on a ton of hit points. It's probably counting for like 200+ hit points at level 100 (I'm just guessing).

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, now I understand.
    Are you saying that we shouldn't have to "work up" our Str/Dex/Int ? That everyone should just be equal in those 3 from birth - period - and no further growth by working on them?

5. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

disagree... someones strength often translates to how healthy they are in life... why wouldn't it apply in game?

6. Drocis the Devious

No what I'm saying (trying to say) is that we currently have a system of STR,DEX,INT and they're all required to be "good" or "competitive" at higher levels. So my question is this, if that's the case (and it is) why do these matter individually? Shouldn't there be a choice to make here?

Just like I feel the attunement system did an excellent job making the magic schools mean something. I'd like to see STR, DEX, and INT mean something. I don't want all the characters to be Conan, Merlin, Legolas's. I want variety. But if we can't get variety and everyone not only CAN but HAS TO BE great at all of them, then lets just make a system where we remove all of them and every level you advance your STR, DEX, and INT move up for aesthetics.

7. Drocis the Devious

No, it doesn't.

Someone super strong can be diseased or one weight lift away from a heart attack. Strength doesn't equate one to one to health at all. Strength is Strength.

Rennik likes this.
  8. Noric

Noric Avatar

How I'm reading this: Drocis wants a stat cap

Or is there something I'm missing?

Fister Magee likes this.
  9. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

Those are exceptions more than anything. What would the general rule be?

They do not equate but certainly strength is often indicative of health.

FrostII likes this.
  10. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

I don't think a stat cap is being asked for, it's just an anomaly. I am playing a ranged character this release; I turned off strength right at the start, thinking that an archer should not need raw strength. And the fewer skills you're trying to feed, the faster the progression:)
    So everything's going great, but at level 56 I don't have nearly the hit points I think I should have (318). I have reluctantly turned strength back on:(

Rennik, 4EverLost and Sara Dreygon like this.
  11. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

I'm also a ranger this release, right on your heels at adv level 55. I've got 376 hp and have had strength turned on most of the time (I think its around 24 pts for the pure str innate). I don't think its debilitating to have not turned it on earlier.

Rennik likes this.
  12. Noric

Noric Avatar

There's more or less not a point to not maxing out every stat. When is having more focus bad? When is dodging more bad? Strength to hp might be the largest of these factors, but they are all there. Until there is reason NOT to max strength, why should it not be a factor in HP?

13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Ill have to check later to be sure, but i think adventure level is a big influence on your health at the moment.

Aside from that, there are more things in game that buff strength than any other stat so it deffinately can seem unbalanced at the moment.

Earth passive, sun passive, earth active, heavy armor passive and active, and create gear

14. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I think they should be left in, but lower the exp costs for them to progress. The way its set up now they are the hardest skills to max out cause they drain much more experience than other skills. It's making the difference between a low level and a high level character much more than it needs to be. I think they should be the easiest to raise since they are so important and most players will eventually max them or at least try to. But the way it is now I'd rather have them removed all together then keeping them as the hardest things to raise.

15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I agree that because of all the strength of it is unbalanced, but unless I'm mistaken there are more affects to critical crafting that will affect other stats as well that are on the way and intended.

But there are 3 passives and 2 actives that also affect strength, 1 passive and 1 active for dex, and 1 active for int. so i believe that alone is the bulk of the issue with stat balance

16. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I get three HP's with every increase in Adventure Level. That equates to about 43% of my total HP of 460. I'm also 57 health, which is another 12-13% of my current health.

17. Noric

Noric Avatar

There's also the base hp to consider.

18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I think that hp increase per level is larger at low levels and diminishes as you gain levels. But the healthy skill is also worth the mention, yes

Quenton likes this.
  19. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Agreed.

Maybe HP should come from an amalgamation of STR, DEX, and INT (as well as the usual levels and whatever skills)?

I'm not sure why a mage with 100 INT shouldn't also have high HP...

20. Noric

Noric Avatar

I'm not sure why a mage with 100 INT should have high hp because of it...

Fister Magee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.