1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Player Test Environment (QA Server) issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugsā€¦ QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /devbug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)

[Submitted 69129] The obs pantopicon - i hear rain, but its not raining, or snowing

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, Audio, & Instruments' started by Rinaldi, May 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

05/20/2021 21:17
    Title: The obs pantopicon - i hear rain, but its not raining, or snowing
    Reproduction Rate: 1/1
    Blocker? no
    Details: i hear the wind blowning, but i also hear rain, but it is not raining or snowing. This rain sound was not present when i first came into the scene, but when i was climbing on up where the ice elemental, wolves, and bears are, the rain sound started and has been going on for about 5-10 minutes now. Is this sound intended? it seems outa place.
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 32708
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 GPU RAM: 8088
    SotA.QA.Win.64.1193.Date.05.17.21
    Area: Mistrendur_R4_ObsidianPanopticon
    Area Display Name: The Obsidian Panopticon
    Loc: (-61.5, 104.0, 13.9)
    Debug: TWlzdHJlbmR1cl9SNF9PYnNpZGlhblBhbm9wdGljb258fCgtNjEuNDUxLCAxMDMuOTY5LCAxMy45MzYpfCgwLCAtMC44MzQsIDAsIC0wLjU1Mil8LTEwMy4zNTQ3fDM5LjA5Njg0fDEyLjgzNzcy

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i do here a steady hiss close to the canyon walls, but it seems to me to be more an indication of the steady wind under the gusts. @Sannio

3. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Hey Oop. I have tinnitis, so I hear a hiss all the time :(
    But this sounded like rain splashing on the ground, and was separate from the windy hiss sounds.
    It did seem strange, cuzz the sounds did not jive with the visuals.
    I noticed no change in the weather visuals in that zone. Could it be that the visuals on the weather are overridden (and so the rain is not showing), but the sounds still cycle through the various weather patterns?

Addendum: just jumped back into QA. I turned music volume to zero. I went to an area up on top of the cliff (where bears and wolves are), and then walked to an area that had minimal to no wind sounds, and the rain sound was very prominent, and was the only thing i could hear ( iwas not in combat, so there were no other ambient sounds). I was fiddling around trying to get a video capture, and before I could get a capture, the rain sound faded away. So, I think the rain sound is intermittent. So, I somehow caught this oddity twice in a row. I was in the zone for a while thereafter, and did not hear it again.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  4. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

I'll check it out. Issue #69129

@Rinaldi This probably isn't the case, but I wonder if you have a bad sound file. Does the hiss sound like like a proper environmental sounds, or like a sound gone "bad"? If the latter and you play SotA through Steam, have you tried verifying the integrity of the game's files in Steam? https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

5. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Sannio,
    I think the hiss is what is what Alley Oop heard (although I am not sure if she was describing the normal sound of the wind whooshing).
    For me, I did not hear a hiss. I heard what sounded like raindrops hitting the ground: not like drops that you hear in the cave (which sounds like a drop of water hitting a pond), but more like the steady tap of many raindrops hitting the ground. The raining did not sound weird (i.e. like it was corrupted), it just was out of place since there was no raining visual. . As far as i can remember, it was the sound the rain makes elsewhere in the game (tho, as I said I have not played in over 6 months).
    Maybe a dev can jump into QA with me and make it rain in a POT or something, and then I can say for sure if the sound I heard was uncorrupted rain.
    I do not use steam.
    I'll have some time today. I will try to jump on and get a video capture if it happens again.

6. Sannio

The skydome in this scene has been set to not allow rain to fall (although snow is fine). I think now that the rain VFX aren't happening, but maybe it's still making the sound effects at tims when it would normally be raining. I'll look deeper into this soon.

7. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

okay, i have a video capture of the sound

https://imgur.com/8s6EeIy
    You might have to click the volume icon in the upper right corner of the video to hear the audio (the icon sometimes is a bit indistinct)

Also, on live server today: it was raining in pinotpicon, sound and visuals.

Sannio likes this.
  8. Sannio

Thanks for the update!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.