1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Surveying is useless for harvesting skills - Please make skill useful!

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Cairo Hayden, Jun 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

Okay, so something that has always bugged me since I started playing Shroud way back in the day was the fact that surveying for any gathering skill in-game is virtually useless.
    @Chris , @Elgarion

Following Survey Skills

Mining - increases survey distance for Mining nodes. Anybody who is a miner memorizes where nodes spawn or can spawn so it's useless having this skill. Seems like we would all level it to GM or higher if perhaps instead of max of 3 ore on the initial hit, the higher it levels up perhaps it could give up to 5, and higher the level the higher chance it can land on a 5. I don't think this would be overly game breaking. Or perhaps on meticulous it could give more then 1 on meticulous even, though this could be game breaking if people have high meticulous.

Survey Forestry - Harvestable trees were designed to look unique to all other trees so anyone who farms trees knows exactly what they look like. So again, useless =/

Field Dressing - Well, I'm not sure exactly how it helps as if I kill a wolf or a bear it typically dies under my feet and I just skin it where I stand lol...

Foraging - Cotton bushes are unique and are easy to spot, survey does not help find them.

So if surveying added amount we could harvest on everything above I think that would give some purpose to these skills, otherwise I feel they should just be removed because again as is they are useless imo.

Vaentorian, Wilfred, Elgarion and 6 others like this.
  2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It's kinda nice for reagents, they're tough to spot. But even then, the sparkles are not constant, so unless you happen to be close enough to see them and passing by/looking in that direction at the right moment, you usually muss them. One big help would be if the glow or whatever was always on when you were within the activation distance depending on your skill.

Though, even then, still useless for mining, forestry, and field dressing.

Vaentorian, Wilfred, Elgarion and 6 others like this.
  3. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I increased my survey skills from 40 to 100 about a year ago, just to say I GM'd them. I'm thinking it is 1 meter (or whatever a SotA distance unit is) per skill level.

Mining - No real difference in mines. Can see from a greater distance outdoors (plains road encounter, for example). However, one release pre-persistence, this skill lit up nodes. It really lit them up, like a neon light. You couldn't miss an iron node. Anyway, they greatly lessened the effect, or removed it altogether. Maybe they can bring that back.

Survey Forestry - Can now see trees at a greater distance. Can easily see unharvested trees throughout Tanglemire, for example. Line of sight still exists. Maybe high level survey could allow trees to show through other tress and such-- not structures or land.

Field Dressing - I lost kills when low level way back when and had to run around to keep from dying. I had to find the kills from memory. Level 40 or whatever the next level minimum requirement is, is all that is needed.

Foraging - In addition to distance, the various items seem larger to me now. So maybe it scales size, as well? Garlic is easier to spot, for example.

There used to be sparkle effects, too. I haven't seen them for a while. Maybe they were removed for performance? Or I turned down some graphic setting.

Maybe have nodes that can only be visible with high level survey. Maybe based on the tier of the node? Field dressing excluded, because you're already on top of it. Yield could be based on node tier and basic harvesting skill level.

Vaentorian and Elgarion like this.
  4. Gravidy

Gravidy Avatar

I found the other day that there's about 4 eligible pixels which can be used to harvest a mandrake plant. I thought that was quite ironic with GM everything in foraging.

Vaentorian, Elgarion, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I seem to recall maybe a year or two ago, they increased the size of a lot of the reagent nodes.

Elgarion likes this.
  6. Eveara

Eveara Avatar

As an avid gatherer, I would very much like to see these skills getting the love they deserve.

Wilfred, Elgarion and FrostII like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.