Tailoring what to craft to increase the skill?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by ilcontegis, Aug 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Oh ya this is pretty old, the pot I think only give 40% now. Matic is still the same though, you will only get extra hides, not any of the special mats.

2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

For regular tailoring (as well as blacksmithing and carpentry), it's salvage all the way. Blacksmithing and carpentry are obvious, since mobs drop those kind of items all the time. For tailoring salvage, the best place is to loot sacks. But watch out for what it could do to your virtue! Even areas that look abandoned can have sacks and crates set as "someone miiiiiight come back for it, so no virtue for you!" I worry even when trying to loot them from bandit and satyr camps.

Maybe mobs should drop more salvageable cloth/leather armor?

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

books.

Spoon and Elwyn like this.
  4. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

Question about checking crates & barrels. Ok, ive been busted & fined for stealing, but its not what you think. Why do i get in trouble "only sometimes" for looting or removing items from crates & barrels when i get a green circle on the cursor when i mouse over it? Most of the time its fine but OMFG! other times the Ghostgenieguard pops in from nowhere & busts me then fines me & takes an amount of gold from me w/o even asking. & als, lol, where the hell do they get these X-Rayvision-Teleporting guards from? Magical Guards-R-Us? xD

5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Crates and barrels in.adventure zones are guard free. Those in town are not as far as I know.

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

To be caught stealing there needs to be an NPC with line of sight to you. While you will get the virtue hit regardless if caught it not.

Pro tip 1
    Apparently even dogs and cats can call the guards in New Brittania. (And sheep...and cows...etc so a good thief is usually mean to animals first) :rolleyes:

Pro tip 2
    The fine is local and increasing. The more you get caught in the same town the higher and higher the fine will be. So sometimes it's time to move on.

Pro tip 3
    Close doors and don't stand next to Windows.

Pro tip 4
    Some NPC walk around opening doors. Knowing some schedules can make a big difference

The line of sight to NPC is when you pocket an item not when you take it.

So you can take something (drag) from in front of an NPC, then walk around a corner and then pocket it (drop to inventory).
    Or the classic: open door, take item, close door, pocket item - rinse repeat

Jaesun, Elwyn and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  7. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Another cool tip to help from getting caught stealing is the Distract skill in the Subterfuge tree. Sometimes you can cast it into a corner of the room/building and NPC's will run over to that spot... and that's when you can grab things off the shelves, etc.

It doesn't always work though. Some merchants and trainers and such are stationary and won't move to the distraction spot so be careful.

8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Since this got necro-ed, I have a couple of updates. First, we are now finally getting tailoring salvage items in regular mob loot, and it is less necessary to loot sacks and crates. But it still helps, because of how many you can get.

Second, thanks to a bugged fountain, I had to work on my Truth again. Skipping the details (off-topic for this thread, but I did succeed!), if you watch your Shroud stats (yes, you have to beat the main story first!), you can get a vague idea of what's happening to your virtue. So I can say confidently that in most adventuring areas, looting crates and sacks has no effect on your virtue. I'd still watch out in Tenebris Harbor, since it has been said to be a place where looting deco affects virtue.

Alley Oop likes this.
  9. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

My 2 cents to the many tips already given:
    - get XP first, not from crafting, but gathering. For the start skinning and mining should be best. Level base + swift skill only to get XP fast. Use tools + potions if available (not really required, but helpful)
    - spend the XP first on gathering until you get the XP fast (for producer its still slow :-( until you have a high pool, if possible > 3M XP.
    - for the refining section I consider only the efficiency skill worth leveling. Especially for the additional silver and gold ingots (also needed by a tailor unless you buy them...), but rest is nice too.
    I would level this first because you get more mats to train the production skills
    - for production leveling get - if possible - a potion of guidance = 4x faster and a GM trainer (10% faster, 10% XP saved). Important for MW + enchant, helpful for the rest.
    Salvaging is fine, but keep the "nice" gear e.g. for patterns, only use junk.
    In former times you could even make a profit from bear/wolf hats and if you did some adventuring you should have enough mats, so leveling + profit
    - Once you have a higher level you can start crafting the gear you want to use or sell, keep the exceptional ones for later MW/enchant, regular is not worth much, you can sell to NPCs, salvage or keep for MW/enchant training.
    - MW/enchant will cost insane numbers of silver/gold + base gear. Use the potion of guidance and have enough XP/mats available before you start.
    - I would use the tier one mats for leveling (e.g. plain cotton or leather). Gear you really want to use/sell usually will have tier two (like hardened leather).
    I propose to start the tier two only once you are higher level as it costs roughly 4x the mats (and costs are up to 10x the base cost as the tier mats are more costly)
    - Do the decorative gear (non combat) whenever you like, they do not need good stats and they dont make crafting that grindy, more of an achievement.
    For the first few items of a recipe you get a nice bonus XP, so try to craft all recipes and the first few during 2x XP days

10. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

True, they arent guard free. Every time i break one open with a guard near, or even right in front of them (LMAO), they'll run over & say usually one of two things - "What was that?" or I heard something...be on guard!" But i always make sure it shows a green circle on it from my reticle before i break it, yet i still get busted some of those times. Some have been in a private residence, some a buisness & some right out in the open. There just doesnt seem to be any rhythm...[​IMG]

11. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

The only cool thing about getting caught is even though your fined...you still get to keep the item you took, lolz. At least everytime i checked after i was released from cusdody, haha, i still had mine :p

Oh, i forgot about my original reason i posted here, lol, i got caught up reading your response. In Aerie especially, you can take what you want from crates & barrels in & out of buisnesses & in the open. I break & take right in front of the guards & all they do is...well you saw my previous post im sure. Also i take right in the open in front of dozens of NPC's & never have anyone say anything bad or really anything for that matter...again, except for the guards. So as i said before there doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason for getting caught sometimes.

12. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yea, that is funny.

I've never had any problems with the law as long as I break the barrel/crate/etc. So those are apparently not in the 'legal' code.
    However taking from a container, like drawers or cabinet etc, then the constable shows up.

I think I've definitely been fined in Aerie for taking from containers in homes.

For instance Ardoris or Brittany Alleys which have lots of both then you can run around breaking barrels/crates and never get fined. While if you'd open just one sack then the constable would pop.

(Like so many others into decoration I run an alt to get everything not bolted down).

Jaesun likes this.
  13. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Do the bags you refer to have a "steal all" window?

I only take things that give me the regular "Take all" window when I double-click on them. If the window says "steal all" and the cursor turns red, I don't touch the stuff. I don't break crates in towns because I hate the sight of broken crates. :)

Some towns have an abundance of stuff I have been able to take with no problems. For example when you enter Brittany Central at the docks, there is a yellowish house two doors or so to the left of the crafting pavilion. There are bags outside and inside and other things (vegetables, sacks of grain, empty and full jars needed for cooking, etc.) that I take and no NPC has ever complained. The castle in Aerie also has storerooms on the top floor with lots of loot-worthy things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.