Taming, in general

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by monkeyrogue, Sep 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

So taming holds a special place in my heart. From Pokemon, Monster Rancher, UO, and many many many...many others I love having a companion in game that doesn't steal my loot or will gank me because my football team won.

With what I've seen here so far, I want to like the system, but am hitting an initial wall getting started. Those collars.

An item I get. And I am not saying I am 100% adverse to their creation, but resource gathering has been hard (unless it comes from an animal).

I heard someone say the recipe requires silver? I haven't even seen silver in game yet.

My real beef here is not that it's an item. It's more what it entails to get that item.

Seems like an outdoors man, making a snare, uses whatever is at hand (leather, string, sticks).

Which begs me to inquire, why does a taming collar require something more far afield than whatever would be a natural extension of wildlife? When wolves became dogs and were domesticated by early man, mostly they had scraps of meat and lengths of twine.

I'm not saying what we have is a bad system. It makes more sense than most.

Just wondering if there were any plans to expand this. Like, for "natural" animals up to a certain point in skill would require a basic item (wood, leather pieces) that could be creates by a tamer (from the taming tree, or low level crafting) As the skill needed to tame rose, so too would the item requirement, so spiders would require fire (because spiders OMG!! Kill it!) And as the creatures became less "natural", say a Drake (I have dreams back off.) It may require precious metals, food, first born child etc. And if I am to dream big, culminating with dragons who are not " tamed" so much as befriended by enormous precious metals and gemstones and possibly the sacking of a village.

Like I say, I try to keep up on your plans and such, but it's a huge amount of information to go through. I've gone a few pages deep on the forums, and quickly find myself in R20 and prior territory.

And while I'm just shouting at the wind, any chance we can get a eugenics system later? In UO, I tamed a mongbat and it could (I am not exaggerating) take on almost any monster in our path short of dragons (PKers hated that surprise). I know we have "skills" that bolster our pets. And that's nice. But is there any plans to boost the inherent abilities of pets? Maybe teach that mongbat to cast a fireball (to use the UO example) or breed them to breed the monster it could be.

I'll even take Star Wars Galaxies genetics monsters if need be. Just wondering what the long term outlook looked like.

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Taming has a LONG way to go - very VERY long way. If you want to test out taming give me a Hollar, I will help you with collars. (Grumpie Weinie)

But we are so in the infancy of taming, keep making suggestions like you have - Taming a Cat could easily be accomplished with a Collar that was made from a simple leather collar, As for a Obs Wolf I can see Silver and even MORE complex items like silver with and Obsidian Gem :).

3. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Message me - I got some silver for you.

4. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

Sara, I will be when I log in again. Still recovering from surgery so I am not on as much as I would like. I'll be catching up soon.

5. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I too wondered what the heck was up with taming...

I was going to try it out when I *thought* I had the basic concept down... then, if memory serves me correctly.. it seems I saw that each taming attempt effectively burns a collar. I was like "you have to be joking me". I'd stomped around a bit saving what I could and figured a pet would be a help.. but when I figured out that it would take my life savings just to TRY and tame something I just tossed the idea. As a side note; I DO hope they make it just a tad easier to start building the bank account. I'll admit that the 25g bark bread was bringing was a little high (though not a gift....chopping wood is work) there needs to be SOME means for a new person... on their own to explore and enjoy and not have to spend 80% of their pickings on repair bills.

monkeyrogue likes this.
  6. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

It's bound to come down eventually. Look at arrows. Before, you'd not have gotten the 100 you get right now. But it took a while for that to come about. A lot of chiming in on how costly it was to make them, etc. :rolleyes:

So, carry on! ;)

Solazur likes this.
  7. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

SWG was the best MMO ever, until well you know....

8. Curt

Curt Avatar

I think they should change taming collars so they has durability (higher the better you crafted it)
    If you successfully tamed someone the collar could be consumed
    But if you failed it would only lose 1 durability for each try.

9. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

Curt, that sounds good. It means it's "consumed" and not AS expensive, and allows it hold marketplace value. I would even go so far as to say it reduces durability per attempt, but once successful it may consume the item?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.