Taming Mastery Idea

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yakamo LLTS, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Since we are introducing Masterys in the game maybe we can add a Taming Mastery that would only affect Tamed Creatures, Not summoned.

----------------------------------------------
    Taming Mastery, 4 or 8 million passive skill
    +500% damage to Tamed creature +100% HP
    -100 Attunement to Player to all Elemental trees including Death. Or set all Attunement to 0.
    No negative affects to Life Attunement
    Tamers Resilience 4 mil passive +15-20 resistance to the Tamer for all Elemental schools including death. Now this might not need to be a thing, just an after thought.

Tamers must wield a tamers whip - Removing whip and Tamed creature will not attack. Will only follow

In effect you would be a true taming class who cators to keeping your creature alive and keeping yourself alive as well.

- Attunement may need to be increased even more, possibly -120.
    As a tamer I would start using traps like Caltrops and such.
    What do ya'll think?

@Chris

Agree. I think pets should have abilitys like Bears have a natural Taunt. Wolfs have a rend. Horses insane run speed and so on. What other animals am i leaving out, i'm pretty noob when it comes to Tameing

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Pawz, danjacobsmith, Gorthyn and 7 others like this.
  2. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Great idea, honestly. Certainly one of the better ones I've seen here in a long time. I'm all for any build that effectively transitions you to a pet class to whichever extent you'd like based on how you build your character beyond taming.

Unfortunately, I've been begging and begging for this playstyle to be viable (or even playable, honestly) since launch and have basically been ignored. I've even when I've given them proof for each and every single ability and how they're not working - complete with reproduction test cases on the bugged ones.

The very few responses I've gotten have basically been cut and paste nonsense they feed to anyone about things they're not going to work on anytime soon. I've seen two developments in all forms of pet abilities since launch. The first was when they fixed the absolutely broken taming mechanics from launch itself that let players obtain obscenely powerful pets with little to no work or time investment. The second was a pass on summons from some point early last year which did absolutely nothing to benefit these abilities or that playstyle at all.

At this point, even with great ideas like this one, we basically need to forget pets exist in a way that can allow characters to build around them and be even comparably successful beyond the very early game. Port has repeatedly shown that these abilities are not ones they intend to bring into viability. Sad, because most trees contain some form of summon mechanic - they used to be the very pinnacle (last ability) on many trees, and were totally worthless and unusable. They still mostly are.

Valor likes this.
  3. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I kinda like the idea if masteries is the way the game is going. I think tamed pets of a highly skilled tamer should be nearly or as strong as a player but the tamer should be weak.

Numa, Valor and Mykll like this.
  4. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

It’s my hope that the strongest tamable pets in the game are on par with a high skilled, well geared player, but require being mounted (mounted combat coming eventually) in order to control them in combat with limited skill options from the tamer while the HP, defenses and even attack skills are that of the mounted pet. However, I’d first like to see the Taming skills reworked for long term plans rather than the bare-bones system we currently have.

Valor likes this.
  5. Armitage_

Armitage_ Avatar

I like it, great idea!

Valor likes this.
  6. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

This is probably the level of change that would need to happen to make taming both viable and not everyone become a tamer. As such I doubt this is something we'll realistically see until either Episode two or well into Episode one.

MrBlight and Valor like this.
  7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I really really want taming to be great in this game, and great might or not include power. Not asking for some op own every tree but i am asking for a really fun one, even slightly harder to achieve.

Numa and Valor like this.
  8. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Like the idea but pets would have to hold aggro much better than they do now. Even with ring of mouse on as soon as i heal my bear I'm enemy number 1.

Also, What does a tamer do with all those not very useable combat slots on their deck if their pet is doing the vast majority of the fighting. Maybe a Mastery tree could open up skills for pets that points could go into for more dynamic pet combat, something like dodge/fortify etc for the pets. The tamer could be using other skills like fireflies/blind/ etc to help the pet but would be cool if they could also cast more specific buffs for them.

EtherBunny, Valor and Numa like this.
  9. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Agree. I think pets should have abilitys like Bears have a natural Taunt. Wolfs have a rend. Horses insane run speed and so on. What other animals am i leaving out, i'm pretty noob when it comes to Tameing

EtherBunny likes this.
  10. eli

eli Avatar

My favorite part is the taming whip.

Maybe this is the necessary balance ingredient needed to make pet dps approximate weapon dps

Valor likes this.
  11. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Good idea!

12. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Altho i do hate pet dmg n skills being based on player. If you were to add a mastery that made pets actually dominent for real tamers ( at expense of someyhing else ).. it would be a huge step in right direction.

A weapon slot tied up to increase pet.. would be interesting.

Essentially a taming makeover in the form of basically making it a CLASS, and a solid one, i would actuslly login and try it.
    And if they balance it that not evrryone runs a pet n the mastery ( cause no focuse or some other seriois penalty ).. itd be a good step.

Trihugger likes this.
  13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

How about we just make taming worth something.

Sorry but doubling pets HPs - NO
    Killing all attunement jut because you chose to tame - No

I kno you are trying to call this an "extra" taming skill but NO, need to fix taming itself first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.