Taming question

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by ConjurerDragon, Dec 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

After taming my first animal, a squirrel, I wanted to try one that had more than 1/1/1 stats.

I read somewhere that pets can help to defend against new targets of taming who likely are aggressive - however I´m at a loss how to.

The squirrel is obviously no use, but I got a chest mimic, too. But when I summon that I have to have the mimic necklace equipped. Which I can´t change against an "empty" necklace to tame the next target without dismissing the mimic...

So how can a pet help in taming a new pet? Or is what I´ve read only reference to magical pets like elementals helping subdoing animal pets?

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

You are correct that you cannot change necklaces while a pet or the chest mimic is out. So using the chest mimic won't work.

Let's use your squirrel as an example. You would use your squirrel to attack another animal you wanted to tame. While your squirrel has it's attention, you would start to tame the new pet. If you were successful it new pet would replace the squirrel on the taming necklace.

Replace squirrel with a wolf, bear, or any other animal you have tamed. I have used this technique often early on to 'upgrade' my pet to a stronger one. You will lose the original pet do to it being overwritten on the taming necklace.

ConjurerDragon likes this.
  3. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

The chest mimic was a founder reward. The devs may have put him in a taming necklace and called it a tamed pet but it really isn't. The chest mimic is permanently in the necklace - if it dies and you don't rez it during the countdown (that I assume shows anyway) then you can always re-summon it later like any of the deco pets sold in the coto store. Because of this you can't tame a different creature over it (and you wouldn't want to - they are fairly rare)

When people tell you to use one pet to tame a higher level pet they are generally suggesting to tame over the first pet. You need to make sure the necklace is not locked to inventory to do this. Just have the pet out and fighting as usual to help tank for you. When your tame attempt is successful both your newly tamed and previously tamed animal will disappear and the new animal will be contained in the taming necklace you are wearing. The other approach when you want to keep the previous tame is to use your current pet to lower the health of the animal you are trying to tame and then switch necklaces quickly and tame into an empty necklace. But this method does require you to dismiss the first pet and be out of combat to change necklaces so you will need to kite the animal (or use bard mez for lower level stuff) since you will now have aggro.

ConjurerDragon likes this.
  4. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

And I thought the only way was to use a new necklace each time for each new pet.
    It never occured to me that one could "overwrite" the old pet using the same necklace to tame a new pet... Thankyou both of you.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  5. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Are the animals of one name identical?

Say I tame a boar in a Tier 3 area - would it have the exact same stats as the same named boar in a Tier 2 or 4 area (assumed that it exists in all those tiers)?

I wonder because the stats of the animals I tamed differ slightly from the stats given in the WIKI

e.g. the "Wild Boar" I tamed has 183 health when examined, yet the WIKI lists it with 197
    https://sotawiki.net/sota/Wild_Boar

The same with all others, e.g. my Timber Wolf has health 170, yet the WIKI gives values from 134 - 200 depending on zone
    https://sotawiki.net/sota/Timber_Wolf

Would that mean that every tamed animal has randomly slightly different stats?

6. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

All tamed animals of the same name will be the same for you. In a few cases there are two levels of a creature that tames into the same pet (young cats have two leveled both named young but with different health levels and both large and huge wyverns tame into the ferocious variety) but there are not different level of already tamed pets with the same name. Your pets health values are affected by your summoning and combat pet skill levels as well as certain buffs or gear so assuming none of that changes any wild boar necklace you use will have the same results but when I use the same necklace my wild boar will have higher health levels.

Anpu and Duke Gréagóir like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.