Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Taming, specifically controlling pets . . .

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by Weins201, Feb 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Once again I feel there is a great need to have some kind of mechanic put in place to ensure there is some level of skill needed for control (use) of higher level pets.

This is another release where a player with no skill at all can walk around with the most powerful pet available now (Ferocious Red Spyder) and just wander thru the hardest of scene with impunity, almost.

I have taken advantage of having the ability on one char to acquire one of these and just hand it off to a brand new char and have used it everywhere with great success.

There is a definite need to implement some kind of control requirement for these pets. A combination of Taming Skill / Summoning Skill / Creature Healing Skill / and Creature Resurrection Skill. Some point total scaled to the creature skill. Or a whole other innate for creature control. Either way, something that prevents players with NO skills in taming wielding the toughest pets.

This does NOT affect summoning of the Spell Tree Summons, and not in any way related.

This also has nothing to do with Markets for tamers, this has to do with an imbalance created with nubile players wielding the most vicious and affective pets.

2. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

I can't recall where I heard this (so I could possibly be imagining it!) but I seem to remember an idea being mentioned that, once pets are better 'categorized' for their relative effectiveness, having an active pet would be a drain on your focus, higher drains for tougher pets, which would certainly negate the issue of brand new characters taking top level pets out for fast xp gain.

3. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

+1. Seems everyone has a pet now.

A noob with a ferocious spider could do fairly well starting out and this wouldn't take but 1 skill point.

FrostII likes this.
  4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

imagination,:( if the implement this they would effectively kill of taming, as depending on the template even a high level tamer might not have a lot of focus :confused:

Pets used to drain focus, now they just have a % focus reduction. :D

:cool: either way that odes not prevent a newb char from owning and using a pet.

It needs to be related to the taming skill somehow. ;)

FrostII likes this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

As I said I did it with my very new Dark Paladin. I walked into and managed Crag Foothills, not all of it of course but an obsidian wolf, and a few of the Elves, and I should have not even been able to round the corner there at level 5, but I did

Sara Dreygon and FrostII like this.
  6. Selene

Selene Avatar

I thought UO had a rather elegant way of handling this. If you wanted an overpowered pet, you could OWN one.. but it wouldn't listen to you.. and if you tried to command it, eventually it would get tired of telling you "No" and just attack you. :D

Pet summoning skill should have meaning. It should require skill to manage and handle a high level monster. You wouldn't give a rattlesnake as a pet for a 3 year old. (unless you really didn't like them)

Sara Dreygon and FrostII like this.
  7. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Wait. No cpas. No extensive use of exclamation and question marks.... Who are you and what did you do to weins?!

@topic: You are right. I am repenting since several releases that pets are op.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  9. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I have a ferocious red spider. I just use it on aggressive to defend me while I pick cotton. I named it Beetle Guard.

In the early levels it can be a great and totally undeserved companion. Massively OP but fun.

In the higher levels it just slows you down when grinding. Compared to a multi GM Avatar these things are meek.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.