Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Temporary PVP Flagging

Discussion in 'Release 24 Feedback' started by Abydos, Nov 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I want to comment on this too, because it was funny.

I mean here I am level 41, and I have no idea what level royalsexy is. But I'm watching him destroy one of the flesh eaters and I'm just waiting for a moment when his hit points are low enough that I can reasonably attack him. Not because of who he is, but because he's in the shardfall and I want to see how far my character has progressed from a pvp standpoint.

Well his hit points get to about half of whatever he has normally, and I think well it's now or never. So I attack him and my hit does like 10 damage! HA! This is on a level 71 Death Touch. 10 Damage, ridiculous!

So then I hit him with a few more spells and it's really the same thing. And instead of attacking me, royalsexy just ignores it and is like "hey man what's up?" LOL

Which led me to believe maybe he wasn't even paying attention and didn't realize I had attacked him. So I just stopped, talked to him a little bit and left.

So yeah, royalsexy would've destroyed me and it wouldn't have even been close. And he showed class by just waving it off and not trying to embarrass me any more.

But here's where the disconnect is between this style of play and what I'm looking for. If royalsexy and I switch characters and he gets my stats and I get his...who wins? That's what I'm saying there's no skill component to any of this beyond building a good character and having the free time to grind that character up to the highest level you can.

Again, I want to emphasize that in no way am I saying royalsexy the player isn't skilled in PVP - I HAVE NO IDEA, he could be the greatest pvp player that's ever lived. All I'm saying is that in this system, we'll never know. Because skill doesn't matter very much, levels do.

2. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

@Chris

I really feel like the level progression system could be easily balanced so that powergamers don't have an unreasonable advantage over normal people. I'm all for having progression, but the only way for me to be "good" at this combat system is if I get a divorce, disown my kids, quit my job, and win the lottery.

Surly you understand this, right? If you look at who's the highest level in R23, it's not people playing the game for a few hours a week, is it?

4. royalsexy

royalsexy Avatar

That was a level 71 death touch?!? I think death touch is broken! That was my first day trying out heavy armour, I was killing flesh flayers for the XP so I could train the armour up. I think the main problem is the amount of health that comes with each level. I'd been playing as a cloth-wearing air and sun mage with sword as backup. Probably had 10 levels on you, I've just hit 60 today and I've been playing for a few hours each day since R23 was the best release in ages.

Also, I'm extremely unskilled at PvP, unless you're talking dance battles, where I'll smoke you :p

5. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Things will change drastically when the game is released. The population ingame right now, is hopefully not the amount of ppl. when the game goes live. I am sure you will see more of those blue gank squads after Release if it doesnt change or less people flagged PVP.

6. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

I'll fight you Drocis. I was flagged since the first day of release and was probably about the same level as you, although over the past couple days I did stay up way too late grinding to get GM before changes went in...so now I'm like level 52 or so. I'm assuming you can get a general sense of level from a person's health if you turn the numbers on. I don't know what the best build is, just picked some combination of what I was handed at the start and what I felt like doing.

Back on topic, I agree that I don't want to get hit by unflagged or my enemy healed by someone who can just flee the scene. Fleeing to the Oracle at least gives me a chance to hunt him down if I'm still alive.

7. Logain

Logain Avatar

How could you not? Since you can wait till the time's right and a decent victim with a soft spot passes by, prepare, stack up glyphs, in order to 'loose the battle', you'd have to be very bad at PvP. Once the other person is a ghost, you have either 2 minutes, or the time it takes to reach the Ankh as ghost. Is there even a (group) scene that you can not leave in 2 minutes?

In one of your very first videos, you elaborated on the selective ('relevance') multiplayer algorithm, which, according to you, would factor in 'if people had their PvP flag, (they'll be much higher on this list)'. Is this still planned? If so, how does this temporary flagging factor in there? If I'm PvP flagged and I see mainly PvP flagged people, would we even need this 'feature' of temporarily flagging?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.