Thank you.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thylbana Nyx, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thylbana Nyx

Thylbana Nyx Avatar

I have to say, even in this super early stage, thank you. It has been a real joy to ease back into a game like this. I know there is a TON of functionality that has not been implemented, but it is still fun. I was a little annoyed at first, but when I remembered it was a Lord British game, I really got into it. It's been quite charming.

I began this just to see what it was like. I'm not as big a fan as many here, but I thought I'd throw a few bucks toward a game that was suggested by Chris Roberts. I'm originally a Star Citizen fan who migrated here at Chris' suggestion. Boy am I happy I did.

The feel is a throwback to when I played games like Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, and of course the Ultima series on my Commodore 64. It appeals to many aspects that I like about such games as well as current games. I know we are quite a bit away from Alpha let alone launch, but I like what I see.

Just so I'm not all sunshine and love, this is certainly a Pre-Alpha. The connection drops, limited functionality, scary artifacts (I saw a blob-man-thing running by me. Creeped me out), and crazy clipping all tell me that it's a work in progress. The limited space and things to do are a bit of a crimp in my game style. I do have to say the day and night cycle is WAY too quick. I thought Skyrim was fast, SotA seems like it's twice as fast.

Even with all the bad points, I'm fine with how the game is so far. It's not like ArcheAge who is keeping a game in alpha that is beta level (and LATE beta level. It's really ready for open beta) to bilk people for more money. That alone is refreshing. Someone putting out an alpha that is really an alpha, not some gimmick marketing ploy.

Thanks again Richa...er.. I mean Lord British. I'm glad to have helped in my own small way.

EDIT: BTW, pump up the juice a bit. I'm running on average 50% of my CPU usage and my GPU never even heats up. Without optimization I should be at least be breaking a sweat. Give her some more juice, we're ready for it.

smack, Phredicon, Arianna and 9 others like this.
  2. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

mine runs at 120% usage lol

smack likes this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think this may have something to do with Unity. I have heating issues with all Unity games of this magnitude. I'm not trying to bash Unity, but I strongly suspect based on the many games I've played/attempted to play that use the Unity engine that this is the reason.

4. adrazz

adrazz Avatar

the player submitted images look awesome!! I cant wait to get home from work and login ;)

5. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I'll second that! :)

6. Numa

Numa Avatar

It's great to see a fellow Sc backer make it over here. You're in for a treat , things are about to get really exciting :)

7. Floors

Floors Avatar

I think it has a little more to do with the fact the OP is running a Geforce GTX 770.

Not everyone has that nice of a rig so I would suggest maybe getting it running well on more cards rather than "pumping up the juice".

Of course optimization is a long way off. I think it is finally possible to see what we are building now tho. Bring on the main map !

8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I understand that I'm using anecdotal evidence to support my claim about Unity. However, in my world it seems likely that this is what's going on. I have 2 PC's that are "ok" and seem to run everything fine until they get to a Unity game...then the PC runs hot.

tradyblix likes this.
  9. Arianna

Arianna Avatar

Welcome Thylbana, enjoy the ride :)

Celestial Knight likes this.
  10. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome

11. Thylbana Nyx

Thylbana Nyx Avatar

Come on, mine isn't THAT nice. I managed to piecemeal it all together over 4 months for just under $1000 (my 2 Tb HDD is a carryover from my old rig, but I bought a 480 Gb SSD for my OS and competitive online games). I'm currently OVER $1000 since I added 6 more fans (2 white LED 140mm and 4 purple LED 120mm) a month ago. That is probably one reason my system never really heats up.

12. Floors

Floors Avatar

Not everyone wants to use windows or build a windows machine. Some people are restricted because they use linux or macs or only have laptops.

Also, Not everyone wants to build a big bulky box with the design aesthetics from 1999 with a hacked copy of windows and put a thousand watt power supply in it, a ton of fans and 2 expensive and soon to be outdated GPUs when they have PS4 with 8GB GDDR5 and custom GPU and CPU setup for "gaming gaming" for the next couple years for 400 bucks.

SoTa is the perfect laptop game, let's keep it that way

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.