The ability to "cross off" journal entries no longer pertinent to your journey.

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Xanthirius, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xanthirius

Xanthirius Avatar

A simple feather and red ink would be necessary for this feature and it would seem to help the "adventure" feeling and also to help clear my brain from looking at pages of quest log, wondering if I did something or not!

Good idea or no? :eek:

GraveDncer, Duke Raas, smack and 7 others like this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Good idea.

3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I know they don't want a traditional quest log. They don't want hand holding and they want this to feel like an old school RPG.

But could we have sections of the journal? We write all our Owl's Head thoughts in an Owl's Head section and Ardoris thoughts in an Ardoris section?

smack likes this.
  4. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Or even a checkbox feature so we can manually "cross off" our list. Kinda like Santa.:D

(Like the questbook available in modded Minecraft - of all games :p)

Lord Lonn likes this.
  5. enderandrew

Minecraft's first release was over 5 years ago. It had 5 years of post-release development for more features.

6. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

i agree we really could use better organization in journal even if it was your quest line lined up together not some 5 pages apart or the ability to manually move them in order or even have chapters u could move them into like current quests completed quest repeatable quests and (whate ever magical word or phrase for a quest that keeps on giving when u go back with collected items)

7. smack

smack Avatar

The game shouldn't auto-group them for you except for perhaps by NPC or by Location. Definitely not by "quest" as that would be connecting the dots for you. They don't want a traditional quest log / quest journal. You lose that sense of discovery and puzzle solving if they did that.

Manual re-organization, custom tags or annotation, filters, etc, will help. Filters already exist in other UI controls and would really help here. Show all conversation entries by Halmar, or those that refer to Halmar. Show all conversation entries in Owl's Head. Show all entries with a custom tag. Things like that.

I also feel that some conversation entries should have been recorded in the journal but they weren't. Perhaps those are bugs, but the ability to record any conversation entry into the journal would also help.

8. enderandrew

I think grouping all the entries by city makes the most sense. From a RP perspective, a person writing in a journal can write in different sections they bookmarked off in those cities. The entries are still in the order you wrote them, so the player may still have to dig a bit and figure things out. It isn't really hand holding but it will make the journal vastly more useful for players.

Look how much your journal fills up with monthly wipes and hardly any cities in game yet. Now imagine playing for years at launch with a larger world.

smack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.