The Art of Repairing

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Knoxinn, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

The 6 month development video just came to light and we were able to learn a bit about crafting from it. They also posted a fishing pole for sale in the Add-On Store. Oddly enough, I feel that I learned much more from the fishing pole than the video. I've posted about this in a couple of other threads but I would like to bring it home to one thread that really focuses on repairing as it relates to crafting.

When evaluating the SotA crafting system, it is hard not to compare it to the old/current UO crafting system. Whether this is fair or wise...I'm not sure but at least it gives us a point of reference as to what might be different. For example, in the 6 month video, RG combined "iron sheets" and leather straps to create an iron chest piece. The addition of the leather straps is new (akin to Skyrim). The iron sheets are also new. In UO, one went from ore to ingots to plate armor. In SotA, it appears that there is at least one more step...from ore to ingots to sheets (and other materials) to plate armor. But, the fishing pole is even more interesting:

The Fishing Pole of Prosperity (digital)$10
    INTRODUCTORY PRICE: Available at 33% off the regular $15 price
    This unique, indestructible fishing pole increases your chance to catch fish, the quality of the fish caught and the speed they are caught. While fishing poles with similar effects can be crafted and purchased in the game, this particular fishing pole never needs repair.

Here's what we can draw from this:
    1) Items do have durabilty so repairing items will definitely be in the game.
    2) Fishing poles need repair. This opens up a big can of repairing worms. What else needs repairing beyond the obvious? Skinnning knives? Cooking instruments? Alchemy equipment? Simple clothing? How extensive will this get? Will every type of crafter have some sort of repairing ability?
    3) Fish have quality. At first, I took this as you have a chance of catching a different species of fish (ie a Large Mouth Bass is tastier than a Bluegill). Upon refection, it could also mean that indivdual fish of the same species may have different qualities. I don't know which concept is correct.
    4) Fishing poles with effects can be crafted. At first, I took this as Carpenters, perhaps GrandMaster Carpenters could create fishing poles with various effects. Upon reflection, it could also imply that an Enchanter could place a "fishing enchantment" on a pole. Either concept could be correct or maybe even both.

I told you that fishing pole was interesting. Anyway...here's a few things that I would like to see in the game when it comes to repairing items:

TRADE WINDOWS - I believe it was UO that created this game mechanic (if not, please feel free to correct me), but repairing gear while in a trade window was absolutely genius. For those that didn't play UO, you would come up to me, a Blacksmith, and ask me to repair your things. We would open up a trade window and you would place your items there. While that trade window was still open, I could repair your things as long as I was near an anvil (in this game, a crafting station). I would never have to physically hold your items.

Those that haven't delved deeply into crafting may not like this system. It's not "real" enough. For those who know crafting...we LOVE this feature. At high level and in production mode, I have a ton of things all over my inventory screens. Physically adding another players gear is a nightmare. The trade window method is an elegant solution. It is an absolute must for the game.

SKILL GAIN - Some games give a chance to gain in skill from repairing, some don't. I'm definitely for a skill gain, especially if every type of crafter may have the ability to repair something. Some people may not like this as there may be a way to abuse it. Sure, always a way to abuse any game mechanic in a game. Non-crafters typically do not see the incentive to repair their items is just not tips or straight payment, it's the possible skill gain. That's the carrot on the stick for repairing anything.

GM REPAIRING - When "repairing" is in a game, there is typically a chance to decrease the durability of the item. If there is a chance for "failure"...the durabilty goes down further. Also typically, the higher the skill a crafter has, the less durability that you lose (in a numerical sense). I have no problem with any of this really. The only thing is to increase the grouping of who can do what. Here is the Repair Chart that UO currently uses.

Instead of upping the precentages at every 10 pts in skill, I'd rather see one group at 50-69 and the other group at 70 to 100. When one attains the rank of GrandMaster (or whatever this game calls it) Craftsman it should be a very cool thing. As a GM Blacksmith, I can now make beautiful armor and outstanding weapons. What does my life turn in to? Being chased all over to repair gear. I go from a GrandMaster Smith to a glorified handyman. This is just how it goes. Opening the grouping up would not only stem this, but it would also swing more repair work to those that could really use the chance at a skill gain.

Alright, that's it. Anything else you would like to see when it comes to repairing items?

rild and Wodin like this.
  2. Wodin

Wodin Avatar

Knoxinn,
    Excellent post! I hope to join you as a GM crafter of some kind someday. I enjoyed that aspect of UO as much as I did trying to solo demons and lichs.

At this point, I think I have reached all of the content in the non-developer forums. I need to encourage my better half to allow me to get to that level of backer. Keep us updated on what is in there, and perhaps I will see you at the forge.

rild and Knoxinn like this.
  3. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

@Wodin

First off, thank you for the kind words. As for "Keep us updated on what is in there..." I'm afraid that I'm the same exact boat as you. I do not have access to the Dev boards. The first part of the post are simply observations from the 6 month video and the Add-On Store. The second part is just what I'd like to see based upon years of gaming and crafting. Whenever durability and repairing are introduced into a game, it really needs to go under the microscope. There can't be enough good ideas thrown at it when they begin tweaking it, probably near the end of the Alpha or beginning of the Beta. No reason not to start throwing them now though... ;)

As for meeting up at the forge...sure. If mining is in your future then smiths might have to group up a bit just to get out to particular mines. Personally, I'm going to dabble in Animal Taming so I can have a little added protection while venturing out to the mountains and/or caves. A pick axe, a wolf, a mine full of ore, and a nice bottle of wine. What more can a man ask for? :)

Wodin likes this.
  4. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

Sounds like repairing could be in game, but isn't it also possible that the items will just degrade and then break without the possibility of repair? This would seem to align with their 'zero sum' economy where there are plenty of resource sinks to ensure the economy is as player based as possible. If you could keep repairing the same item the system could get saturated pretty quick.

derek6665 likes this.
  5. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

This is what I'm hoping for as well, repair it sure but over time it will continue to degrade as its used. And please not Powder of Fortification hooey :)

Also, I think face-to-face repairs are important so no repair deeds; if I can't find a real player to repair my sword, I can take it to the local NPC BS.

Favonius Cornelius likes this.
  6. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Single player mode people wouldn't be able to repair then. Some people wont actually want to interact with others in this game.

Carlin the Archer likes this.
  7. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

If this is a reply to my comment, I mentioned that you could take your sword to the local blacksmith and him/her repair it. My suggestion is that the repair is much less effective OR maybe depends on the actual skill of the NPC (maybe there is a grand master hidden away in one of the small villages? cool). If players choose to live in SPO, and don't care to go OPO in town to get a sword repaired, then they can just deal with the NPCs. Seems like a choice to me.

8. rild

rild Avatar

I feel like a true master should be able to repair the item with a chance to
    • increase its durability
    • improve it with a new feature
    This could further help to create unique items, if that player now could use the recipe to create new items with that added feature, which could vary, being picked from a table of possibilities. Yes it would be a very slim chance, even for a GM.

The character could then teach this recipe to others, or market his items with this advantage, or keep the knowledge all to himself (mwahahaha!)

Likewise, some recipes might be learned 'spontaneously' by making a roll after reaching a certain level of skill.

derek6665 and Knoxinn like this.
  9. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

Well, there seems that there will definitely be some form of repairing in the game. DarkStarr's Early Access Schedule post does mention it:
    "RELEASE 4: March 20 - ?, 2014
    • Crafting: Resource Gathering will be added to crafting including resource nodes placed in the world. Item wear begins happening and in turn, Repair will now be available. Item enhancement will now also be possible, allowing upgrading of items to more powerful versions. On top of all that, more recipes will become available."
    So we have to wait around until March to see it. Ok...so my post was a few months early ( :) ). But typically any system that I've seen that features repairing also has decreasing durability with both use and repair. I've really only seen repairing with no effect to durability in single player games, not MMO's. I would put down some virtual gold that the more you repair your weapon, the less durability it will have. I doubt repairing would effect the weapon's damage...it's possible I guess, but I doubt it.

Rild, in the same exact quote from DarkStarr that I previously posted, he does seem to talk about the things that you mentioned. Item enhancement and upgrading to more powerful versions sound good to me. Of course...they also sound hard. Rare recipes, hard to gather resources, maybe even time-based (remember items like "Mooncloth" from WoW?), special places one would need to go to craft these things...who knows. Whatever the case, I don't think either enhancing an item or upgrading it is going to be a walk in the park.

10. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

If crafting is to be a major part of the game maybe armor & weapons need a repair were tools clothing etc just wear out. In UO you always took lots of picks?shovels on mining trips has they soon broke.Clothing and all other items could have so many uses. so changing an outfit 9 times but when you remove on the 10th its destroyed.
    If repair deeds are introduced maybe a set price so they can be an expensive way to repair could be frustrating looking for a GM Smith online .
    Enhancing items should come with the making of an object not repairing with repair it should have a chance to lose enhancments.
    Always Remember in a world were durability counts always carry an extra weapon/food your life may depend on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.