The Devotionals of Virtue in NPC towns are referred to as "Shrines" but are named "Devotionals"

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Anpu, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I think possibly, the pool like objects in the NPC towns that represent a specific virtue, and apply a blessing when we enter the pool, are referred to as "Shrines" by caretakers. However, each of these objects are named in the point of interest markers in the compass and map as "Devotional".

I'll point to a specific example in Etceter:
    [8:57 AM] Anpu: shrine
    [8:57 AM] Caretaker: Generations ago, my family spent years searching for the remains of this shrine in the ruins, and then carried it here to be rebuilt stone by stone. Their devotion to honesty is shared by my brother and I, and each of us would die to protect what these stones represent.

The point of interest marker in the compass and map however labels this object as "Devotional of Honesty".

What I am wondering, is this supposed to be the "Shrine of Honesty"? Following the dialogue from the caretaker I would assume so.

We also have the player owned town decoration item that is also named "Devotional of Honesty".

Additionally, I believe the word shrine is more appropriate, based on the dictionary definition of shrine:

shrine
    a place regarded as holy because of its associations with a divinity or a sacred person or relic, marked by a building or other construction

devotional
    of or used in religious worship

I don't believe The Avatar worships the Virtues, but we do regard (or disregard) them as sacred.

EDIT: there is however a Shrine of Love located in the Sequanna Colossus.

This may however be intentional (?) or possibly are not named correctly. I was not sure, but just wanted to provide some feedback on this.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
    that_shawn_guy likes this.
  2. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

I did understood it that all of them are "devotionals" and only those in the city that represents that virtue is THE "Shrine of XYZ".

Anpu likes this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yeah, possibly the ones in the NPC Towns are supposed to be the actual "Shrine of <insert virtue or principal name here>"? But currently they are labeled in the compass and map devotional.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  4. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

I think of it this way: a "devotional" is the object with the pool, and a devotional is sometimes part of a larger "shrine" location. Also, the devotional caretakers use the term "devotional shrine" to clarify which type of shrine they're referring to in their conversations. ("shrine": "There are many devotional shrines, each dedicated to a specific virtue.")

Compass markers are centered on the devotional object, not the middle of the shrine nor its entrance. This is partly because it's often better to mark an object than an area, and marking an object with game mechanics (like a devotional) can be better than marking one that doesn't (like a gate).

There are also shrines in the game that do not include a devotional object.

Anpu and Alley Oop like this.