The game needs Tutorials.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ogarious, Aug 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ogarious

Ogarious Avatar

And it might not be a bad idea to place them outside of the main game. Say, like they have in some FPS's. At the menu area for SotA have different tutorials explaining quests, the map, combat and the deck system, crafting etc.

You can make these stand alone things that can be done online or off. They can be done with a pre made character that you set up before hand so that things can be explained to the players. A knowledgeable player base is a happy player base. And while I agree I think most games spend too much time holding your hand now a days, I see nothing wrong with this game teaching us some of the basics for playing it.

GraveDncer likes this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

3. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i was about to go "nononononononononono!" just from the title of the thread..but fortunately i read the first sentence inside. phew!
    i really like the no in-game tutorial mantra they have had to date. the ability to just dig in and figure it out is what fascinates me about games anyway.

but weins has pointed you in the right direction, if you need a little tutelage still. :)

4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I assume this will get much better as they prepare to release the game to new players. Many of the people on these forums have been playing some version of this game for 2+ years.

5. tangar

tangar Avatar

I'm planning to create video tutorials when I'll learn everything %)

6. Lained

Lained Avatar

As the game is in flux creating tutorials at this stage isn't a good use of resources they'll get to them when the game is nearer to launch and things are less likely to change, in the mean time as Weins suggest look out for player introductions to the game.

7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'd love to see a starter quest that teaches players how the player driven economy works. Teaches them how you don't just put whatever you make on a public vendor and expect to get rich.

Likewise, player vendors are not going to be successful if you take all the stuff you don't want and throw it in there for unreasonable prices. "The junk I found in-between my couch cushions" is not a good business model.

I'm serious and I don't mean this to sound condescending. Players don't get it and they need to if they're going to enjoy the game.

8. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

drocis, one way to combat against that idiocy is to charge a minimum to place items up for sale...yknow, a percentage of the total cost the item is sold for.. many people will figure that out and then start deciding what to place.. the stupid and greedy will just add that much more to the price, but the smart ones will actually do the math. :)

Acred and Tahru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.