The Loner: Why Some People Play MMOs Alone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oplek, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Same.

Sometimes I'll group up. Usually to help others with building XP. Maybe I'll clear out a mine or room for them to gather. Or help people out of a difficult area they stumbled into and help them find a better scene more to their level.

But generally I'm like you. I enjoy seeing other players in a scene doing their thing. Grouping not as often.

Numa and Chatele like this.
  2. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

I love playing alone, but the best moments are when you make new friends no matter how long that friendship lasts. So, enjoy the solo time, I say, but don't be afraid to party up and see if there are people you like.

Sentinel2, Anpu, Numa and 1 other person like this.
  3. Eve Midnight

Eve Midnight Avatar

Awesome video. It does explain why Solo play is important specially when you reach high level on a game that has no level regardless of dimishing returns on skills.
    The devs need to wtach the video and make sense of the changes introduced

The new changes to AoE timers are lame, very lame. The should be reverted to how they where. The increse of reagent cost only damages new players, it costs a lot of gold to cast AoE's now. Leveing up those skills for a new player is now very costly but still doable, however unless you are SPEc in that magic tree it's kind of not worht it. You spend more time recasting the AoE's and leave yourself open to attack in the mean time. For mages this is über lame. As a mage I feel I'm playing recast skill rather than actually playing the game. For those who attack with melee waepons I guess its not that bad.

In the same way that AoE's cost double reagents then arrows should cost double to buy or make. Makes sense right?

New UT is cool but it's not rewarding in any way or form. It's not as hard as one many think, you just need to be more active in UT to beat it. The last wave has no incentive for any reward, either solo or in group play. Adding artifacts to UT that only drop there wont solve anything as the scene is supposed to be a group endevour, if one can solo it perfect. SOTA has not XP grind spots to reach ATT for new players. The last two waves in UT should be double XP reward, the new loot items do not make it rewarding in any way or form. There needs to be a scene that new players can get 2m or 3m XP per hour farily easily in a group.

Part of the end game to SOTA is being able to go solo, this doesnt mean that you should be able to solo everything but if you invest a lot of time in game and manage to make a build to solo Dispair then that is a good thing and shouldnt be nerfed or players punished for being a one trick pony or having spent countelss hours to build a kick ass avatar.

The new changes that have recently been introduced seem to harm new players more than top tier ones. SOTA suffers from low number player base, there is a large numebr of players that are high level, welcome to MMO gaming. IF we had 5k or 10k players then all would be good, popularity will itself bring in new players. A lot of the changes ans new scenes have been made to either cater to them or to nerf them in one way or another. The introduction of Tartar Sauce has come with a very OP boost to fire mages. So are fire mages going to be nerfed... or are the AoE's timers nerfing supposed to address the Fire Mage OP-ness?

Tartar Sauce needs to be heavily modifed. We need to nerf the Fire mages, not acceptable that they can solo ATT on 5mXP cap. What about the rest of us that refuse to be a fire mage... Flavour of the month? Tartar has been out for months yet the other magic trees have not been given any significant love, if anything the AoE timer have nerfed non fire mages. New timer sux really bad.

2020 SOTA Vision of Nerfing: Tamed Pet's are going to be nerfed, Magic arrows are going to cost reagents as may ... Fell free to reply with nerfes we dont want or need.

My RANT is to be continued......

4. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I play alot of solo mainly because of my hours and also because other people get me killed more ;)

5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I have grouped in SotA, and outside of UT, it has been fun. (Running around Tartarus for the first time with @Barugon and others was a blast, even with the party wipes and no res ankh.) But it's only something I want to do once in a while.

Conversely, I have only grouped once in ESO, a few months ago. I got kicked from a Fungal Grotto I PUG for not putting out enough damage. Now, I can do it solo. (FGII is another story.)

I don't need to solo all the things. I need to be able to solo enough of them to have something to do. If I need to get a group together every time I want to play... there's other games that don't require that.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Mishikal, Anpu, Barugon and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.