Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The next release

Discussion in 'Release 4 Feedback' started by Aldo, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

It is important for the developers to have feedback on their work. But more importantly, it is necessary to stress load the system, fine tune the instancing engine, manage the databases and develop the communication system among others.

To accomplish this, it is necessary to have a lot of people logging on, moving around, performing tasks, communicating and etc.

May I suggest that for the next release, you have something for them to do. It is not enough to have the world to basically run through. After a couple hours of exploring, really there is nothing to do. I for one have found myself letting the rest of this release time out without participating much. What purpose, what enjoyment is there to go mining, for instance? You find a colored rock, hit it once with the pick axe, it disappears and you get a nugget of ore. Or you go hunting elves and every fight is exactly the same. Swing until one of you dies (and you cannot even monitor the foes health).

I realize that this is an Alpha build.... I get that. But for gosh sakes, asking for people to log on just to run around to populate the world is just not going to work. People will do it once, but more than that is asking too much. I suggest some tactic that will draw people in. Some reward for early testers. For example, let the early testers fill their recipe books by gathering, crafting and etc. Books that will survive the Launch. I am sure others can come up with great ideas for drawing in lots of people during the critical testing periods.

2. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Just to let everyone know, if you bring up the names by pressing "n" key you should see a green dot next to your's and your foes name, this dot will change colors from green to yellow to orange to red as the oponents health goes down.

I know it's "new", but it is a way to tell how your foes health is depleting.

Also use a Halberd, it does 23 damage...

Miganarchine likes this.
  3. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

It could well be (and is probably likely), that they are getting the numbers they need, and more, just by turning on the taps every month, with some new features to try.

I realise what you are wanting -- more meaningful stuff to do; ways to get a headstart on the live game, etc -- but as I say, it could well be that they just don't need it.

At the end of the day, they're in the better position to know what they need more of, and if it's more "us" they need, I'm sure they'll ask :)

4. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

You make a good point. I am assuming the load is light with no real data to support that assumption other than counting peeps walking by. Also, thank you Smoker for pointing out the damage display. I completely missed that.

I do not need more content at this time, being content to wait for the finished product. It will be difficult, however for me to log in just to walk around over the next few months. Hopefully you are right and peeps will participate sufficiently for adequate game testing from now till release.

5. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Well, without trying to be smart, no one's going to make you. Although one of the great attractions of following a pre-release game is jumping into the game world like this, I know plenty of people who toss their money into a crowdfunded game and then totally ignore its forums, community, playtesting, etc, for the next year or two and enter the real game "fresh". Heck, I've even done it myself with some titles (eg: Wasteland 2). It can sometimes be a good call to make.

So what I'm getting at, is that if you think you aren't going to be too entertained by the next few releases, and they will be "difficult" for you, why not consider dropping out of a few and not putting yourself through doing them?

6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I wonder if they are even that worried about "stress" so much in the fact that you never really have a huge number in one area at a time. Just curious really.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Your welcome Aldo, and don't feel bad I missed it too because I felt the names being up all the time was annoying so I turned them off. Then we had a patch and the names returned with a dot. I think Chris added it on the fly, thank you Chris...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.