The PVP Philosophy of Kirito in Sword Art Online

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wilfred, Mar 16, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

I recently rewatched Sword Art Online and noticed something interesting.

In SAO episode 19, starting about 20:15, Kirito says:

" 'In the end, it's just a game, so do what you want. If you want to kill someone, kill them. If you want to steal, you steal.' I've met more people who think that way than I'd want. In a way, it's true. I used to think the same way. But it's not true. There are things you have to protect especially because it's a virtual world. I learned that from someone special. If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and the character are one and the same."

So is it true that your actions in a virtual world affect who you are in the real world? I think so. And because it is true, the creators of virtual worlds have an obligation to ensure that peace loving people have a chance to survive and grow.

In ancient times, people walled their villages to protect themselves from roving bands of real world PKers. In Ultima Online, many people could not protect themselves, and so they left.

But in the end, the actions of each person are their own personal responsiblity. Can people reach a point where they could interact in peace and harmony in a virtual world with no PVP restrictions? Could they exist in a world where they have every opportunity to kill and steal, and instead support and share with each other? Could people exist in a full loot PVP version of SotA without descending into strife?

----------

Anpu and SmokerKGB like this.
  2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I watched that series some time ago. It was well written. I don't think I can make the leap that connects real life behaviors to game life behaviors. I am sure it is true in some cases. But I also believe that some are mean players to compensate for being treated badly in RL. And I also believe some people just do it because its a game and they just don't care how it impacts anyone else just because it is a game. So I guess I believe in all of the above.

Cordelayne and SmokerKGB like this.
  3. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I would say no... because if you can steal from someone in game, then you were that way before you entered the game... The game just gives you an opportunity to do it anonymously, and not be caught... as you say: It's just a game...

I played UO for 13yrs and quit in disgust, when Trammel came about, and to read the disgust of the players just amazed me... Why was it so important to them if I had a safe place to play? It got through to the developers, so they doubled the resources in Fel, and halved the resources in Tram. that just peeved me off, so I stopped paying to play UO.

This is why I like SotA: I have a choice, now and if the PvPers don't like it, well I'm sorry for you...

Anpu and Tahru like this.
  4. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Sword Art Online is an anime that is based on the assumption that virtual reality soft- and hardware advance to a point that you transfer yourself into the game by connecting your own body to the computer.
    In the first season the main threat is that players are trapped in the game world, canĀ“t return to their bodies who after a while will be depending on life support and risk real death of their body in case they die ingame.

So in that world far more of oneself is in the game than in any game that we in our world could be playing. The risks are far higher and the urge to have your character survive - as that means your own survicial! - can turn anyone into someone trying to get every little bit of advantage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.