The Regions of the Novian Continent

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anpu, Apr 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I'm slowly working on something on the Wiki, but there's one thing I have been looking for, but can't find.

I am looking for an actual document or description for each and every single Region on the Novian Continent. I am specifically looking for the "boundaries" for each one. Does such an official document exist somewhere? (Catnip maybe?). Or possibly this was found in some very old Update of the Avatar a long time ago.

Just wondering if anyone knows or could give me this information.

Thanks!

FrostII likes this.
  2. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

The map at shroudoftheavatar.com/map/ is amazingly helpful, but you presumably already know this. A lot of boundaries were defined by control points back when they genuinely separated the regions, along with impassable terrain features (mountains, rivers). Some boundaries are less clear from the map i.e. North Paladis/Regalis, though there are in-game references that may hint at their extent - virtue shrine caretakers I think will tell you which region Fortus End is in, the precious duck quest might give some insight into Northwood - in fact the wiki entry for Northwood places it in North Paladis so I guess someone found that information at some point!

If there is an "official" definition of the exact boundaries it would be interesting to see how it compares to in-game/wiki and any other sources. I don't imagine a land like Novia has such rigid borders as we (mostly) expect in our modern Earth, local landholders would probably disagree on exactly how much territory belongs to them rather than their neighbours and may even change allegiances from time to time.

3. Vaentorian

Out of curiosity I looked up a few other locations in the wiki, it seems the North Naryad Pinelands are part of Verdantis but the nearby POTs of Foundation and Brickport are in North Paladis - which calls to question my comment about impassable terrain features seeming to define boundaries.

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

In general, the wiki is a disaster. I want to fix that. Most all the regional descriptions there were manually typed in, but provided no actual or official references for this information.

FrostII and Vaentorian like this.
  5. Vaentorian

I could get behind a fact-finding mission, march around Novia and interrogate NPCs to find out their opinions :D though I can see why getting the details from a single handy document would be preferable

Anpu likes this.
  6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

@Anpu the only one I have is when Novia split into TRAMMUCA!!!

Anpu likes this.
  7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I always reckoned things along the natural boundaries with the control point/passes being gates.
    But I haven't ever recalled seeing "official descriptions" with firm boundary distinctions.
    Some are easier than others - Drachvald is pretty clearly "the whole area of landmass north of Vauban pass" but things like the boundary between Midmaer and Grunvald, not so clear. Is it the river? The edge of the desert? etc.

8. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Everyone know about the old regions map?

As an Sprindrift bay islander, ive never been convinced we belonged attached to any mainland based region.

[​IMG]

9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Where is that from?

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Spindrift Island is it's own thing, just like Graff Island is it's own thing.

11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I don’t believe any NPC in the Grunvald region actually knows anything about that region.

12. Vaentorian

Some NPCs talk about locations in regions beyond where they are found - Samael's history lessons during Sequanna's storyline, the virtue shrine caretakers all know about all the virtue towns etc. Grunvald doesn't have a lot of major features though, I can imagine it being hard to pin down for that reason alone.

Anpu likes this.
  13. thradia

thradia Avatar

This is almost exactly how we have broken up the lands for our BMC price checking. Those just seemed to be the natural boundaries for each region name. Our map we have made looks a lot like this.

14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Where did they get the information for each regions boundaries? Or did they just make them up?

15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

From the control points that separated the regional economies by blocking one from running across the entire map. They are now open and let traffic through. Islands were their own economies too. This is what I remember from being here since the KS and Release 1 and on.

Anpu likes this.
  16. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Ok, so they just made this information up (using control points as regional boundaries). But then how did they define Midmaer and Grunvald regional boundaries? Those 2 regions have no control point between them…. Also Regalis has no control point anywhere near it.

17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Plus, Quel on those maps should be a bit larger. Unless South Quel Woods and North Quel Woods/Quel Shardfall aren't supposed to be in Quel...

18. thradia

thradia Avatar

We just made them up. We tried to use the region names, Like Perennial Coast, Grunvald, etc.. and tried to make it as natural as a region border as possible. Using the mountains he control points for some borders.

I don't think I've seen anyone have anything official.

Anpu likes this.
  19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yeah, sadly I think this is missing. But thank you for the information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.