Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The Skill of the Month !

Discussion in 'Release 23 Feedback' started by Abydos, Oct 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolwaters

Coolwaters Avatar

It wasn't even imbalanced for PvP. Folks just didn't train the resist skill. The ability to cast it on the move (and not other spells) made it great for PvP, but that isn't really the problem. It's the other skills. The fix is to let most dps spells be cast on the move. I see no reason not to.

As for PvE, many other magic skills seem underwhelming. That made it seem as if it "worked." But it just barely did. I still had to kite mobs and finished OOM.

Colgarra and Lord Baldrith like this.
  2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think they nerfed it a tad too far. Making it the same timing as Fire Arrow would have been better. But yeah, it was seriously lulzworthy as it was. I managed to get it up to 60 in a couple of hours, partly helped by all the skeletons I was slaughtering in Spectral Mines.

It was because they were getting my way of mining, honest guv'nor! Also, they used to turn and run when you got near the ankh location, now they chase you right past it to the front door exit. So yeah, powerful ranged spell, low cooldown time, skeleton archers that keep running away, what would you do?

3. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

Personally, i dont have any problem with the new nerf of seering ray. I feel ok with the fact that there cant be many instant cast spells.
    What i dont want to see is mages in heavy armor.
    The only spells that could be casted in heavy armor are just life tree and earth tree spells, and not a single one from the other trees (there are some ways to do so like triple the focus cost for any other spells while wearing at least ONE piece of heavy armor)
    I want to see all magic shield spells buffed so pure mages could do some pve.

FrostII and Abydos like this.
  4. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Unfortunately that's what happens , I guess balancing pvp always affects PVE.... They need to do what LOTR did, they had skills read something like this ( stun for 30 sec (pvp 20 sec) just an example, they had this on every skill that they wanted to be diff in pvp vrs pve without having to nerf anything. The skill skilled down or up depending whether you were flagged for pvp or not. They could do something like that here. Or simple do a counter to the skill rather then nerf it, that way PVE doesn't get affected by the ones who will never PVP to begin with.

Gurney2, Colgarra and FrostII like this.
  5. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

Are you working up and using the skills and passive skills under the light armor tree. I played a Mage and now ranged and that tree is vital to mitigate damage and allows me to kite mobs easy with high level swiftness

6. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Yep...I have the entire light armor tree filled in...been doing this for the last few releases. Have acrobatics in the 40's I think...and swiftness I love...

This release the mage is better for sure...but still my pole arm is a much more powerful attack that my spells...Magery is supposed to be powerful. Thus far it is not. Ice arrow still only doing about 12 damage at level 45 and it does crit for 50 every great once in a while...The slow effect 30%ish is pretty pathetic too...doesn't stop mobs from reaching my mage at all...hoping for freezing and/or very much higher slowing...we are mages not tanks!...

Retro, Gurney2, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  7. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I completely agree that when I was playing a Mage last release I did not feel the spells packed any punch. I still have high hopes with will be improved in a future release. It appears the trees are set up in a way that you can spec burst damage, crowd control, or DoT damage but the numbers have not been upped to make the skills work properly. I feel that most CC abilities are still broken in that most are not effective.

Gurney2 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  8. Colgarra

Colgarra Avatar

Then you must really be wild about the 20 seconds we have to wait to leave a scene - (remember that's after we've already waited to get into non-combat mode) - each and every time - day after day, year after year....
    Because of what? :confused:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  9. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

Colgarra, those cooldowns were made to prevent exploits.

10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

What "exploits" would that be exactly?

11. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Cooldowns can still potentially be bypassed with an unlocked deck. I really loved Searing Ray as a cast-on-the-run spell. Truly wish they had left that portion alone.

Now I'm far better off dropping a Corpse Explosion which has similar cast time/focus usage and damage and also an AoE.

Air stuns give the most survivability, as does a well-timed trip. Since high level spells are not very OP and can have fizzle offset by focus tree / reagents / skill level, there's no real reason to not roll with plate chest/legs. The other pieces give too much fizzle for the tiny increase in mitigation. Also means staff is pointless, go with a nice 2Her with tons of passives :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.