The SotA Community First Series Submission Thread

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Vyrin, Jun 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Reflections on Cannibalism:

Are we merely morsels of never ending goodness to these tribes who partake of our flesh?

As the Lord of Thunder slew his goats for meals on the go and summoned them the next day, are we, the Outlanders, the everlasting gobstopper for the undead and other unspeakable creatures who dine upon us?

Is our tastiness steeped in our depths of virtue, as a sauce to be more succulent than other paths?

The insubstantial, who stalk us in the sewers of towns filled with native nutrition, why is it they seek us for that daily special over others?

Why is it the liches prefer our bones to the meal of the mainland masses?

Why am I drinking this corpse wax laden ale, carousing with my fellow zombies, instead of searching for brains?

2. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Submission for the SotA Community First Series is now closed! What a wonderful collection to begin book writing in R19!

Remember, the rules are simple.

1) You create copies of your own book, as many as you wish, with a title or without.
    2) When you create copies your book, indicate that it is part of the SotA Community First Series, along with the volume number (randomly assigned below). If you need help publishing your book, please let me or other community members know.
    3) Hand them out or trade them in any way you wish, in any format you wish. (e.g., welcome items, private chats, party favors, quest goals) It will be a fun challenge in and of itself to try to collect them all.

Below are the assigned volume numbers:

#17: Themo Lock - Don't Lick the Moon Tower
    #20: Womby - Arachnophilia
    #8: Duchess Wyldemane - Maeremayde
    #5: Duke Greagoir - A Story of "Beauty in the Underworld"
    #15: enderandrew - A DarkStarr is Born
    #3: Raven Swiftbow - Raven's Story
    #7: Sophi - Refugees of Midras
    #9: Winfield - The Fish Song
    #19: Spoon - (A Bard's Tale)
    #13: Amber - The Story - DarkStarr
    #11: Lord Blake Blackstone - (Story about Thoren)
    #6: Net - The Monster in the Maze
    #16: Greyhaven - Jarial's Magic Recipe
    #1: Kara Brae - The Road Not Taken
    #18: Acred - Hans Goes Beneath Neath
    #12: blaquerogue - Oath of the Warsworn
    #14: Vyrin - Between Worlds
    #4: TRLobo - (Story of the Guard Captain)
    #2: RedDeer - Klaus the Mouse, Pt. 1
    #10: Stryker Sparhawk - Reflections on Cannibalism

If you didn't get a chance to participate and still want to do so, look for more opportunities in the future.

Thanks again to all of you for the absolutely AMAZING submissions. It gives a great snapshot of life in SotA!

3. TimeLord Smith

TimeLord Smith Avatar

TLS KEY

As I entered the smelly tavern, the first thing I noticed was the chameleon tail soup. Ah, Chameleon tail soup is my favorite <Just after hazelnut Parsnitp stew>. This is besides the point I thought. I needed to focus! Ever since 70 I never seem to remember what I was thinking each time I enter a room.

AAAHhhh! Thats right! I'm looking for Time Lord Smith's magic key! I knew that Time Lord Smith entered this bar but I cannot see him. WAIT that's it, the beer tap with the duck on it. I bolted toward the beer tap and yanked the duck. Immediately a passage opened under the tavern. I was just about to enter it and some guy with blood in his mustache grabbed my hair and stopped me.

"That's a lot of hair" he muttered. I replied, "Yeah, but I'm just looking for a man." Now the whole tavern began closing in on me. I was running out of time. I could hear Time Lord Smith wistling and humming a byzarre tune as was his custom, but it kept getting further and further way down the passage.

I popped the guy in the eye and he let go of my hair and I journeyed onward. Several of the men in the tavern followed. They started asking me questions about how old I was and did I have a boyfriend. I said "never mind that, let's press on!" One guy loitered by the gate, and I said, "Some team work would be nice right now!" Then I remembered that I was after Time Lord Smith and I wasn't friends with these people. AAAHhhh! That's right! I'm looking for Time Lord Smith's magic key!

Down the hallway we came to a door. I entered the room boldly. The rest of my team entered with me. I said, "LOOK a pool table". This room was definitely a man's play ground. There was a pool table and a circular bed with mirrors on the roof, and giant containers of old wine. My friends and I had a blast partying and doing stuff that we will keep secret for the rest of our lives. THE END

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  4. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

I made the story longer (I hope it's not against submission rules :D). It now ends in a more appropriate place and uses more from the 8000 character limit. Special thanks to Vyrin for helping me out with grammar and punctuation! You're awesome! I can't even say how much you tought me with your comments!

Klaus the Mouse, Pt. 1

There was a mouse called Klaus who sat alone behind the wall of an old house. His friends didn't dare to come near there, but Klaus didn't care. He was obsessed you see, same way as you and me, with manuscripts that from another dimension just had to be. He collected these from all around the world, some very old, some never sold, most of them covered in mold. Although a great job he did, he was a mouse and couldn't read, so he had to find another way to satisfy his need.

Not knowing what to do and filled with rage, Klaus bit into the page, invoking a spell left there by some powerful mage. There was a bright flash, and after a short fall, he did crash into water with a loud splash. When he swam up and gasped for air, it occurred to him he's not in his lair. The river carried him some place unknown as he tried his best not to drown, finally getting onto shore near a small town.

"Where am I?" the mouse thought, traveling through an empty lot that was yet to be bought. He was wet and alone, surrounded by houses built from cold stone, but for some reason he felt he was finally...

"...Home," he said and covered his mouth in shock - did he just talk? What a puzzle! Not a squeak but actual human words escaped his muzzle! "This is weird..." Suddenly a vision in his head appeared of a man with a long, white beard. "I must find this man!" he screamed as he ran. "I need to do it as fast as I can! I feel I'm a part of some bigger plan!"

His instinct led him under a tall clock tower, which just so happened to strike the midnight hour, making the poor mouse whimper and cower. "I can feel it... It's a place of power." He squeezed under the door, expecting a monster roar, instead hearing someone snore. He followed the dreadful sound up the stairs that went round and round, until the sleeping man was finally found.

He climbed the bed, sat on the sleeping man's chest, and to wake him up he tried his best. "YOU! You brought me here! Wake up and give me my quest!" The man rolled to the side and mumbled, "Oh, it's you avatar, please let me rest. Tomorrow is a better time for your big test."

Klaus was not believing his ears, the man obviously had drunk too many beers! Still filled with bad feelings and inner fears, he curled up on the pillow trying to stop his tears. He fell asleep soon after that, having a nightmare about a rat, a bat and a cat. He woke up all covered in sweat, only to see the old man's face, which seemed pretty upset. "Hello?" said Klaus, feeling under threat.

"Where did I go wrong?" moaned the man. "I hoped for someone strong, instead this is what I get for waiting so long!" He picked up Klaus by the tail, his face frighteningly pale. "You're too frail! You will not prevail!"

"And you stink of cheap ale!" cried the mouse. "Don't judge me based on my scale! At what exactly would I fail? Unveil the whole tale, you alcoholic, old male!"

"Enough of that! The name is Matt, a powerful wizard!" he said, adjusting his pointy hat. "Show some respect, you spoiled brat!" After a long pause, the wizard sat down and stared at Klaus with a deep frown. "It's about Lord British's crown, it was stolen when he was visiting our town."

"I- I don't know of whom you speak," the rodent sobbed with a squeak. "But couldn't a powerful wizard retrieve the crown real quick? Couldn't you use some magic technique? Maybe flick a wand or some other magic stick?"

"Unfortunately, this symbol of nobility is also a useful utility. When worn, it negates any magical ability directed upon you with hostility." Matt stood up and placed the mouse on the brim of his hat. "Let us get you something to eat. I bet finding your way here was quite a feat."

"It was easier than you suspect," said Klaus. "I'm always careful, hard to detect and as quiet as a mouse can get. I'm also quite the athlete, so predators are not a big threat."

The wizard stopped in his tracks. "That's it! Those thieves expect direct attacks! Instead, you'll go there through the cracks, right behind their backs! I'll get the maps!"

Klaus wasn't sure if he should be happy or mad. He fell off Matt's hat onto his bottom and it hurt pretty bad. However, he was still glad that he could make a difference (even if only a tad).

He watched the wizard collecting maps and some food. "Well..." he thought. "He is a bit rude and we had our feud, but deep inside I knew he's good. It seems we both were in a bad mood."

"City of Minoc, this is where we're going!" Matt said as he tapped on the map which he was showing. "They are here, but I can't get close without them knowing. This is where I distract them and where you go in."

"Did they take over the whole city?" asked Klaus.

Matt frowned. "Not yet, but the sights ain't pretty. I think we can expect a welcome committee. Play it safe, don't be gritty."

Klaus nodded and soon they were ready to leave, although knowing that their goal would be difficult to achieve. Some listen to vice and thieve, but those two - they believe! They're led by the virtues and are going to retrieve!

However, if you have any further queries, you'll need to wait for the next Community Series!

Book 2 of 20 in the SotA Community First Series

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.