Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Time of day

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Barugon, May 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I love that the night is shorter than the day but the time of day text under the compass really needs to be adjusted. For instance, it says "Late Night" when it's clearly dawn and even mid morning.

2. smack

smack Avatar

Novia Time / Period of Day
    06:00 AM / Dawn
    09:00 AM / Morning
    12:00 PM / Midday
    03:00 PM / Afternoon
    06:00 PM / Dusk
    09:00 PM / Evening
    12:00 AM / Midnight
    03:00 AM / Late Night

It would be silly to stretch time, just as it's so silly now that darkness lasts all of 7.5 minutes of every hour. If core game systems depends on night time, that's an embarrassingly small amount of time to do anything meaningful.

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm not suggesting to stretch time, just adjust when the labels are used.

Time Lord and Katrina Bekers like this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

Understood, but it would imply removing some labels and extending others, so essentially we lose the Midnight period from 12-3, and it simply goes from Evening (9 pm) to Dawn (12 am) to Morning (9 am), with Dawn lasting 9 hours instead of 3.

I actually wouldn't mind such a thing, if the game had seasons and hours of daylight dependent on latitude. That way there may be areas where there is more daylight than others, and at certain times, constant daylight. That would also make your location of housing a more meaningful choice.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It doesn't mean removing any labels. Midnight could be from 12 - 1, which actually makes more sense. Late night could be from 1 to whenever the sun actually starts to rise. Etc.

Time Lord and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  6. smack

smack Avatar

Well, it's the same result, as it's shortening and extending the length of each phase as I said originally. Instead of 7.5 minutes per phase (3 hours Novian time), you're suggesting it be 2.5 minutes (1-hour Novian time) for Midnight, with Dawn being extended to 22.5 minutes (9 hours), or whatever. And I doubt they're going to break the 1-hour day/night cycle to 2 hours to accommodate.

As I said, I'd much rather see they fix the lighting in the game and perhaps implement the seasons w/ axial tilt for light-hour calculations based on latitude.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:rolleyes:~Yep Yep Yep~
    Our Time of Day is also an rhythm that will be effecting our economy... so I don't expect any changes...
    Not this year anyway... o_O If it did change...

~TL~:rolleyes:

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Appropriately labeling what we see visually does not make dawn 37.5% of the total day. Please stop exaggerating the issue.

9. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

This one should be in the bug forum.

10. smack

smack Avatar

This is what the labels are like now, not taking into account what the sky looks like (snippet from my post back in R18):

00:00 / 12:00 AM / Midnight
    07:50 / 03:00 AM / Late Night
    15:00 / 06:00 AM / Dawn
    22:50 / 09:00 AM / Morning

Using the new times/labels as suggested above, based on actual sky observation:

Mins / Time / Label / Observed
    00:00 / 12:00 AM / Midnight / Dark sky
    01:25 / 01:00 AM / Late Night / Dark sky
    07:50 / 03:00 AM / Dawn / Sun rises above the horizon <<<<---------
    15:00 / 06:00 AM / <<<need new label>>> / Completely bright sky, sun half-way to zenith
    22:50 / 09:00 AM / Morning / Completely bright sky, sun almost at zenith

So the sun rises at "Dawn", 7.5 minutes after the top of the hour, and in the absence of any extra labels, lasts until the 22.5 minute marker when we get to "Morning". So how was I exaggerating again?

If you thought I was saying Dawn last 22.5 minutes, I could have worded it better because I meant it lasts until the 22.5 minute marker, until the next known label. But I added an additional one above so feel free to suggest one to the devs. Perhaps it can be "Early Morning".

In any case:

Perhaps then we'll know if the labels are a bug or the design as-is is intentional or they'll say one way or another what that design is supposed to be ultimately...

It will be interesting if they just drop the "Late Night" moniker to maintain the PeriodOfDay calculations to be consistently 7.5 minutes each vs. introducing some special case that breaks that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.