Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Tools can't be unequipped by right clicking on the tool when in inventory

Discussion in 'Release 27 Dev+' started by jiirc, Feb 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

1.Title: Tools can't be unequipped by right clicking on the tool when in inventory
    2.Reproduction Rate: 100%
    3.Blocker? No
    4.Details: When a tool is in your inventory, you are able to equip the tool by right clicking the tool. You aren't able to unequip the tool by right clicking on it. (If I'm able to equip it by right clicking, the opposite action of unequipping the tool should be doable as well.)
    5.Steps to Reproduce:
    - place a tool in your inventory
    - make sure the tool isn't already equipped
    - right click the tool
    - you have an option to equip it
    - equip the tool
    right click on the tool
    - you can't unequip the tool in this manner (you can only unequip through the skills menu)
    6.User Specs: Early Access 325, Windows

2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Bug submitted. Thank you for reporting.

I agree with you, but out of curiosity, what scenario would you find yourself in where you wouldn't want to have a tool equipped? When would a player rationally say to themselves "I don't want this useful tool equipped, and would rather run around with an empty slot"?

3. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

To be honest I think I was messing around with deleting tools when I realized this.

However here are a couple of scenarios I can think of where I'd probably want to unequip a tool and equip a new one.

First would be a regular tool that no longer has any durability and I'd need to equip a new one.

Second, would be if I've upgraded a tool to a netter one. So going from a level 1 tool to artisan, founders, or prosperity tools. and of course upgrading to the high level tools that aren't in game yet. :)

But the main scenario is to remove crafting station tools from inventory because of the added weight and encumbrance or similarly if u wanted to remove gathering tools that you don't need a the moment. Currently when a crafting tool is equipped it must reside in your inventory. Since they have weight they take up valuable points as far as encumbrance is concerned. That extra weight is valuable if your strength and carrying capacity is low. If all the tools, standard, artisan, founder, prosperity, etc, all have minimal weight then the issue isn't as serious.

4. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

@Attenwood

I came across another scenario for you.

If you are crafting and need to switch from an ingot mold to another mold, you can't manually (by right clicking the tool) unequip the ingot mold so that you can equip the other mold. Granted you can just equip the other mold, but is that going to be intuitive enough for everyone; or will people try to unequip the ingot mold before equipping the other mold.

5. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

@Attenwood

it's not just the primary tools that fall into the inventory problem, but secondary ones such as molds, wood rasps, etc. Once these are equipped they stay in the inventory bag (This might not be a problem if they can be removed from inventory and put into chests.)

6. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

And one more just for fun. :)

When I was equipping prosperity tools, I had equipped some. A while later I went back and right click them. For the life of me I couldn't understand why I couldn't equip them by right clicking them. It was only later that I realized they were already equipped. If unequip would have been there, I would have realized that they were equipped and not made an error in why I couldn't equip them.

7. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

@jiirc Thanks for the input! :) Hope we can find a working solution.

8. GingerLoaf

GingerLoaf Developer Emeritus

Thank you for making us aware that there was no opposite function! I have implemented the menu myself and it will appear in the next patch :). Happy un-equiping!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.