Tools of prosperity

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Vaentorian, Jul 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

I know we're a long way from crafting being ready, but does anyone think these will be particularly useful? The description in the store suggests yes, but I have to wonder just how much the quality/quantity of materials and items will be increased. The 'unbreakable' aspect isn't that big a deal so I'm starting to wonder if these will really just be a vanity item to display in a collection?

2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Really great for a couple of weeks/months until the player crafters catch up and pass it.
    But I think that you are underestimating the conveniance of indestructable. Most players just want to have fun, they can take running around with a less than perfect item just because they will not break at inconvenient times.

Take those two into account and I guesttimate that a lot of crafters will want them early since they give a head start, then when the crafters pass them for better tools you'll see a trade shift where people will want to trade them for convenience.

Now the artisan tools in the pledges will also be indestructable, so they might do a similar journey.

(Unless they become upgradable using the crafting system, if so they become uber, but there is some ambiguity regarding that).

Sara Dreygon, 4EverLost and Budner like this.
  3. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I and others bought the tools of Prosperity on the assumption that they will harvest/produce high (but not the highest possible) quantify/quality items, and do not require repair. I see no reason why those characteristics can't be implemented in the actual game, in due course.

I figure eventually I'll specialize in a few harvesting, refining or production skills and will want the VERY best tools even if I have to repair them. But until then, these seem like the best available option and should be quite effective when crafting except at the very highest levels.

4. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

I like them for the fact that they are indestructible as I often times forget to check all my equipment before heading out to gather. Or rather I do check them but I can't seem to remember what's missing from that blank hot bar space. I know I'm missing a tool because it's blank but darn if I can figure it out.

So I go out and harvest some stuff and find out I was missing the sickle. Go back to town, and if I'm lucky I'll still remember that it was the sickle I needed. Most likely I won't because I went to get my mask the other day and I still couldn't harvest the cotton:( Pity too, as there were some pretty nice bushes around there.

Spoon and Budner like this.
  5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

As of R19 tools are so cheap (2 gold) that I just always carry a few spares and buy some more whenever I happen to be at the crafting vendor. If tools become expensive to buy or craft or hard-to-get in game it will be more inconvenient. It would be nice to know what to expect.

Ice Queen likes this.
  6. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I would say they'll give you a 5% chance increase, maybe 10%, since the system has been added now, I can speculate... But the best is the fact that they don't wear out, and they can't be looted (when looting is added), it's already been said in the hangouts that any item you "purchase" from the store, can't be looted or lost in anyway... It's bound to your account, but not permenately, so you can trade it in-game to another player if you wish (I'm not sure if that quality will pass to the new owner)...

It's the "artisian" tools that will give you greater "quality" chance, such as more often a sooty bark or pine resin or tin or nickle for harvesting, and a higher chance of getting a "buff" added to your item if using a "artisian" smithing hammer or tailoring scissors. But these item wear out so when they hit zero, you will need to repair them... I don't think anything will break, just hit zero durability and be worthless until you repair or replace it...

I bought a whole set of tools, some are discontinued now, so you can wait if you want...

7. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I have a basic set of them. Besides the now-fixed bug and non-fixed exploit, the correct answer to your question should be "it depends".

It depends on how much standard tools will cost.

It depends on how much the prosperity tools gather MORE and/or BETTER harvestables, refine more and/or better intermediate materials, and craft more/better final products.

It depends on how much the best craftable tools will be better than the prosperity ones.

It depends on how heavy the non-prosperity tools will be, and how fast they will degrade.

It depends how many passes are needed from raw material to finished products - i.e. how often you have to use your tools to reach the desired results.

It depends on how the "fuels" (wax, salt, coal, etc.) are implemented, and if they need to be harvested instead of bought at the crafting vendors.

It depends how rare the rare resources will be and how deeply buried in PVP areas we will find them: non-lootable harvesting tools will have a great advantage over expensively-crafted, perfect but lootable tools if the high end resources will be found in acceptable quantities (and again, how much is enough?) only when there's a risk of seeing your lifeless body stripped clean.

A lot of undisclosed aspects may influence the answer to your question. I'm afraid not even devs already put in tables and formulas all the variables.

It depends.

8. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Did you just summon Rule #34?

Ice Queen and Budner like this.
  9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

They won't be the highest level tools but they don't break and can't be taken from you in lootable pvp zones so they are a pretty sweet deal.

10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Nope, you are confusing it with Hoe of Prosperity...

Budner, Lained and Kara Brae like this.
  11. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

Thanks for the replies guys, pretty much confirms what I thought from using them in the last few releases, as Katrina said 'it depends' on many possible changes between now and release. So I might melt them down for an upgrade and keep an eye on the store for when their withdrawal is announced.

And IIRC, Tool of Prosperity was the sequel to Hoe of Prosperity, and Scissors was the girl-on-girl spinoff.

Sara Dreygon and Katrina Bekers like this.
  12. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

From this post by Chris it seems they will be upgradeable.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...on-harvesting-skills.22122/page-2#post-328559

"So I'll be honest, I'm the guy who argued against the tools of prosperity because to me they crossed the line too much to selling power and they are tough to design around. BUT like it or not, we've sold a ton and will stick to the design and promises we've made on them. I think we've promised that you could upgrade them some but not to the level of the best tools in the game. So my estimation is that they will probably go to probably +20 with upgrades vs +30 for very good tools. There will probably be some crazy bonus tools with something like +50 or more that are so fragile that they are practically consumables. Exact numbers aren't set as we're still defining the highest tier nodes and will be tweaking some math around those."

This may be of interest to you if you have dev+. Just in case here's the link. Look for the Darkstarr post on that page.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...goal-store-megapost.11352/page-65#post-190641

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    Lady Vixon, Vaentorian, Mata and 4 others like this.
  13. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

According to the post I linked from Chris they will be upgradeable, just not to the very best stats.

Lady Vixon and Budner like this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Which is ambiguous until we see some actual implementation since we have some statements that are contradictory some which have caveats and some which is current thinking and so on.
    DLMB and all of that.

Now if artisan/prosperity tools can be upgraded one tier that is still a big thing, but not uber. While if they can be upgraded multiple steps that would be uber.

Ice Queen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.