Tracking Gold with LUA?

Discussion in 'Lua Discussions' started by Bedawyn, Jul 6, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

When I first started playing, each offline character had their own separate bank account and gold amount. A few months later, the devs chose to combine all the banks, gold, and xp for all alts on each account. Recently, they backtracked and separated out the XP again, but the banks and gold are still combined.

In online mode, you can get around this by keeping each alt on its own free account. But in offline, this isn't an option, not if you want the multiple characters to still live in the same shared save-world. Currently, the only way to keep track of which offline alt has earned what is to either keep them in separate savegames or to manually keep notes.

Is this something LUA could help with? I wouldn't expect it to be able to fix the sharedness of the pool in the first place, but I'd think it could probably keep track of who earns or spends what in each game session, and automatically adjust a list of amounts. Just taking over the record-keeping, so it no longer depends on the player remembering to jot down the starting and ending amounts, and doing the math automatically. And hopefully also including a way to manually transfer an amount from one alt to another, to make up for the fact that we can't sell between characters offline.

I haven't been following the LUA discussions before now, but the shared gold thing annoys me enough that I'll learn LUA gladly if it gives me a way to solve this problem. But if it's just not feasible, I'd rather know now before I spend weeks trying to figure it out.

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

not sure if this works offline, but you can mail things to yourself. the alt that actually opens the mail gets the money.

3. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Thanks, but that would only work if the characters in question HAD separate gold pools, which they don't anymore. Or perhaps if LUA could handle the rest, it would also register the mail as an exchange, but since the separate pools would only exist as cells in a LUA table, using mail doesn't seem the most efficient way to shift the totals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.