Travel Speed on Overland map?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by fan.of.devin, Dec 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fan.of.devin

fan.of.devin Avatar

Have details about this been discussed so far?
    Will players magically be able to walk at 800mph on the overland map despite being restricted to realistic movement speed when inside of a scene?

Though I initially HATED it, I am somewhat warming up to the idea of the dual scale map. But my major concern with it now is that we will be able to transverse the globe in a 2 minute jot... Seems to kind of defeat the purpose of using an overland map to establish the large scale of the world.

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  2. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I vote slow or something like the oregon trail where things can happen to you to slow you down.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This feature is going to be great because of they can add new points of interest on the fly without releasing a major patch or new expansion. It also cuts down on server costs. I think it was a good idea.

4. vjek

vjek Avatar

in the current map, an overland hex represents about 1 degree of latitude or longitude. Extrapolate as you wish. :)
    At between 70'N and 10'N as per the current map, presuming New Britannia is a spherical body, longitude distance would vary between ~35km per degree and ~100km per degree (roughly). Latitude would be ~110km per degree.
    (all based on earth sized planet of ~40,000km around the equator.)

Using 100km per degree (or hex) means yeah, from the demonstrations so far, you are moving at a fair clip on the overland map. But hey, there's lunar rifts and gate/recall, so... meh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.