Traveling

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bayard2, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bayard2

Bayard2 Avatar

I was wondering what are the ways to travel around the new lands... I can pretty much guess walk/run and I'm sure there will be mounts and boats. What about gate/recall/teleport/bind spots etc?

thanks!

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  2. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

There won't be mounts or boats in Episode 1, though I believe they are on the list for Episode 2.

I believe they have said recall/gate will be available, and teleport to any location you could walk to (no more hanging out on the roofs of banks.. :( )

derek6665 (Baldrith) and deryk like this.
  3. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Vorpal Bunny Portal.

As they eat you the molecular structure of your body is sent through space to the destination location.

Exhibit:
    [​IMG]

4. Bayard2

Bayard2 Avatar

Wow, taming and no mounts...sigh lol. I guess in the begining there wont be marked runebooks lol. I wish they would post a list of information like this that most former UO players would be thinking about. Thanks Nir!

5. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Good idea, a thread that updates a list on the top post, displaying differences and commonalities between SotA and UO as we learn them.

6. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

When looking at Garriott's game map prototype, there looks to have been serious consideration on having hot air balloons, but nothing has been mentioned so far.

7. Bayard2

Bayard2 Avatar

Zeppelins! I love steampunk, so that thought would be real appealing.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  8. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

Forgive me if I missed it, but I don't remember there even being a recall spell. Closest I saw was:
    "Blink: Instantly move to nearby spot that you could walk to"

not much use for a runebook then?

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

As in just about every aspect of SotA game design, we don't know if there will be recall or not. Some feel that it is indispensible. Some feel, myself for example, that recall should be expressly forbidden in Open PvP. There is much disagreement on that, but we don't know clearly whether there will be any such spell available.

Such is the state of our current game knowledge.

10. Bayard2

Bayard2 Avatar

Blink is from WoW. Recall, Recall Scroll's, and Runebooks were the way a lot of folks got around UO. My friend that got me into UO many years back she was a GM mage and sold all kinds of runebooks...dungeons, cities, mining/lumberjacking spots, etc so a fighter type (or new player) with no (or low) magic skill could click a button and go where ever they wanted (as long as the book didn't run out of charges lol)

11. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

I meant in this game of course. I recall the world of UO seeming a lot smaller once runebooks become commonplace. I'd hope there will still be moongates and I'd love to see hot air balloons, but mark my words: the ability to instantly travel to virtually any point on the map will always cheapen the experience.

Kal Por Ylem was tagged planking on Lord British's throne

12. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm a bit confused about travelling in SoTA in the first place.

With the dual scale map, it surely cant take more than a few minutes traversing the entire landmass can it from the top down view?

Owain likes this.
  13. Bayard2

Bayard2 Avatar

Its also all about time. If you have all day then an hour to get to the dungeon might be fine. If you only have an hour to play then that's a different story to me.

14. Bayard2

Bayard2 Avatar

Not sure since we haven't seen the whole map yet. I'm hoping its F'ing Huge! ;)

15. 2ez

2ez Avatar

I am curious to see how travel across the map works as well since they said some instances will be rare if you recall to dungeons and towns all the time you would miss out on a lot of the fun... Hopefully there are boats by episode 2 because I liked to zone out and travel for no real purpose and boats made that fun lol. Does anyone have a link to where a Dev mentioned recall and/or Gate travel I can not seem to find it.

derek6665 (Baldrith) and deryk like this.
  16. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

From what it looks like and what they have described it will be like travel in Dragon Age, and Mount & Blade.
    You'll go to the map and see where you are and where you want to go, click on your destination and see a little line be drawn between the two locations.
    And there will be a chance of a "random" encounter on the way.

It is simple and easy, and really eliminates the need for a mount. All destinations/zones will be kind of like instances on the large map.

17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I like to have travel mean something. Getting from point A to point B and it being an adventure makes the world feel bigger. BUT, when point B is a planned event with friends or coming to the aid of someone, a faster travel is a must. 30 min wait for people to gather due to everyone having to heel-toe express will get old. Specially if there is dynamic content that lands on you and you can't resist pouncing on it - will never make it to where I was going.

2ez likes this.
  18. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Why would they publish a list like that? This isn't UO 2.

If they do publish a list showing what UO features won't be in SotA. They would also have to publish other lists showing what elements from other RPG games that are not in SotA including:
    Ultima 1-9
    Tabula Rasa
    World of Warcraft
    Asherons call
    Akalabeth
    Dark age of Camelot
    Star citizen
    Conan
    Ad&d online
    Neverwinter nights
    And the list would never end....

Because someone may want to know that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

So, you go in the "in-hole"aka. mouths of the pack/herd of vorpal bunnies and you exit or re-appear through the "out-holes" of a pack/herd of bunnies at the destination?
    sounds a little embarrassing, but if it gets you there it gets you there.;)

violation likes this.
  20. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

I personally hope that they dont add in instant travel like there was with runebooks. With the dual scale map you should be able to move around fairly quickly only really exploring where you want and still have the chance of being engaged by creatures in the zones you are going through.

Kuno Brauer, Siriustar and BillRoy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.