Troll Dungeons and their status after the nerf a few years back

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fetid SirDidy, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

I did have a troll farm dungeon back in the day which was great for xp. I know some people had multiple lvl 6's which was even better for xp and loot to boot. it was a nice alternative to all the hot xp spots -- upper tears, control points, and other rinse/repeat areas.

As with anything in this game its nice to be able to move through different zones when you get bored with repeating one over and over.

I'm not saying the nerf was unwarranted but it was pretty heavy handed. It basically quadrupled mob hp which made the time it takes to complete each room, especially at the higher totem levels, ridiculous.

I'm more curious as to whether people even run them anymore.

I'd imagine their use has decreased by 95% after the nerf.

It would be nice if a dev could take another look, and perhaps reduce the hp's a little.

If no one uses them anymore what's the point of having them.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
    FrostII, Scanphor and Pifester like this.
  2. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Flair Minamoto has a nice dungeon full of Trolls (and Liches) for fishing contests.

3. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

Can you point me to where it is so i can check out how it spawns?

FrostII likes this.
  4. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Well, it would be her decision to invite you... @Flair

5. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

I opened a bug report on the troll dungeons. I can only get 5 out of the 12 mobs per room to spawn. (edit: tested 2, 4, 5 and 6 lvlv totems and they spawn 12 mobs) so it appears the lvl 1 is the only broken one.)

edit: Hoping they still fix the lvl 1 so i can test for speed - with the hp boost nerf it takes forever to solo the higher rooms. I'll do more testing on some solo run setups

FrostII likes this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Nerf is the dev's middle name... They don't listen to us at all like they should. Look at our pitiful population compared to 9 or 10 yrs ago.... Sad really

7. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

Maybe. Although there havnt been too many nerfs lately and I’m able to live with most (fire nerfs) etc. most were op and warranted but the troll one, although warranted, was so heavy handed it was basically like taking them out of the game. (edit: as I've been thinkin more on it I'm thinking there was a big push for grouping at the time and this might have been one of the big reasons for the huge hp boost on the mobs as well - they didnt want people to be able to attenuate solo so quickly). At least fix it so when you hop in the dungeon all the spawns populate. (edit: tested 2, 4, 5 and 6 lvlv totems and they spawn 12 mobs so it appears the lvl 1 is the only broken one)

edit: I still think the nerf was too heavy handed and they could pull the hp boost back a little to give solo'ers more att options.

8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Speaking of troll dungeons: Any advice on placing a troll totem in a spot that appears to be looking for a lich totem?

Here's the rest of the story: This past weekend in my POT dungeon in the town of Caladruin I went into a cave chamber, picked up an existing already-placed troll totem (trolls were already in the room), then I ran off for a minute. Changing my mind, I went back to put the troll totem back in its place. However, whey I tried that, the troll totem would not fit in the same spot, and I saw the spot indicating that it was a place for a lich totem. The situation presented as one where the totem spot had a troll totem before, but would no longer take the same totem back once removed. Maybe because its now a lich totem spot? Dunno. Has anyone else encountered this and found a way to resolve it to place the troll totem?

On troll dungeons in general: I will say that I find trolls to be a pain in the $$$$. Not only slow to kill, but that boulder throwing causing paralysis is a major pain. For me that pushes game play into the real of 'not fun' , although I get that its a type of monster with its own unique strategies and tactics to adjust to. But that's still the case for me with trolls as of this past weekend - not fun - which is why I picked up the troll totem in the first place. So I could see why the devs might have wanted to nerf troll dungeons before if it was worse than that.

9. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

All the totem ‘receptacles’ look like liches. You should be able to place the troll totem in it as long as it’s in the troll encounter room.

with the trolls you need to jump when they go for their stomp to avoid being stunned. If you do get stunned you can use the life spell purify to get rid of the effects. Similarly, you can put smelling salts on your non combat hotbar and use those to counter the stun.

they used to be easier to kill, well faster because they had vastly less hp then they do now.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    Beaumaris likes this.
  10. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Ok, thanks. Will give it another go!

Thanks too for the troll 'counter' advice. Its been a while since I've tangled with them.