Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Undead

Discussion in 'Release 49 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Dec 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Undead should not be impacted by mind spells like Dazzling Rays and Moon Beans.
    Undead should not have supply bundles or torches as loot.
    Undead should not be impacted by Rend or physical attacks that would make them bleed.
    Undead should not be healed by life magic. They're not alive.

Undead should be a little more challenging than they currently are. This goes for summoned undead too.

2. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Rend, unless something changed since a month ago, doesn't do anything to Undead. You can use it on them, but the bleed effect does zero damage every tick. No idea how puncture operates on them.

3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Rend itself does zero damage, but combos using rend still do damage afaik. Unsure on puncture - don't know how to use a polearm :x.
    I agree that the skeleton mages casting life magic is a bit wonky...surely they should only be able to heal via death magic, right?

4. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I assume, you mean Ghosts, when talking about "undead"?
    Skeletons and Zombies should be impacted by physical attack, sure no blood should flow ;)

I also asked about this ;)
    How do I fight a ghost with a -nonmagical- weapon?
    So it should be a special kind of magic used to improve physical weapons so that they can harm especially Ghosts and Lichs ...
    Yes, of course we are in a world full of magic and fantasy, there should be also some -logical- rules ...

5. Drocis the Devious

If a skeleton mage uses life magic to heal something that is not undead, I'm fine with that. But currently if you summon a skeleton (as a player pet) you can heal it with life magic, which is something I don't agree with.

6. Drocis the Devious

I wasn't trying to suggest that you can't fight undead with all physical attacks. Just physical attacks that do special damage (like bleeding) that an undead monster shouldn't really be concerned with. When it comes to ghosts, I agree that just swinging a regular sword against it doesn't really make a lot of sense either, but in an effort to balance the game I can see why this decision was made.

Paladin Michael likes this.
  7. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Fighting a ghost doesn't make sense...

8. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Ironically you can also cast Elysium Illumination on your friendly undead pets and that also heals them. I was amused when I did it on accident.

I don't really care so much about the torches (I find their addition to loot tables clunky as hell overall) but the supply bags are pretty much all there is for loot now in the game outside a select few salvageable things. Basically if they stop dropping bundles there's got to be a trade-off to have their loot be in line with basically the rest of the game. Offhand I don't have any inclination as to what that might realistically be, either.

As it stands on the loot front I'm not a fan of the endless loop that is grind mobs for weapons, get almost no components from salvaging said weapons, attempt to craft, get ~1/3 exceptional, attempt to enchant/MW, very small % survive.... yea... This is a very miserable loot "loop"... And honestly my biggest problem is the indeterminate length of the grind. I would much rather go a route that still takes a good long while but there's actually a light at the end of the tunnel.

9. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Unfortunately there are very little guarantees in life, or in-game. Guarantees are kind of boring anyway!

Elwyn likes this.
  10. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

How is everyone looting supply bags all the time? I've seen... maybe a dozen of them in the past few months.

Is this from grouping and tearing through hundreds of Skeletons or other Mobs or is this only on very high level mobs? I see some grey bundles here and there with a rare handful of yellow bundles, but very few, compared to how it comes across other players are receiving them as loot.

11. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Just this week with maybe 4-6 hours hunting in Greymark I've come across 2 or 3 yellow bundles and maybe 1 grey bundle. This was the first time I'd ever gotten a yellow one. heh

Nelzie likes this.
  12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

One must be careful when they try to apply different universes (like D&D) to SOTA. In fact, I would say that SOTA should have its own rules (although there should be lore behind it) instead of following cookie cutter design of games over the past 30 years. I think you tend to fall into the trap of thinking many different mechanisms in this game should be like others.

Exmple of *new* lore:

Rend and physical attacks may not make them bleed but you still strip away bone or rotten musls which disables the undead from say parts of its body like say legs. Or like walking dead, you hit them in the head and their brains leak out killing them.

Sure undead should have supply bundles and torches, they have the same equipment on them that they died with when alive

Dazzling rays and moon beams are magic and that magic can effect the connection the undead have to the real realm

Undead like lichs are so powerful in magic that they can cast life heals.

See, its easy to change the "lore"

SpaceNinjaPirate and Nelzie like this.
  13. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Maybe, I'm just not hitting the right spots.

As to weapons impacting undead... In UO, which this game is a spiritual successor too, Silvered weapons did much more damage to undead. Almost everyone is wielding a "silvered" weapon, since a Masterworked item has silver used in the process. So, we are all equipped to smack undead better, it would be neat if they doubled the damage of Masterworked weapons against undead, it would be a BIG deal to low level players when they craft or buy their first masterworked weapon.

We are also all using magical weapons. So, it makes sense that we can already beat the snot out of all of these creatures.

14. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Higher the level the mobs, the greater the chance. I usually get 3-4 yellow and about 5 grey in a couple of hours of farming. Sometimes a blue or none at all.

Nelzie likes this.
  15. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

There must be higher level than Tier 5 Mobs that I'm able to take out then...

16. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

This was after an hour of farming... the next hour resulted in one more yellow.
    [​IMG]

Nelzie likes this.
  17. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Which scene were you in?

18. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

The Rise. The grey bundles drop in the fighter/archer room and the yellows mostly drop from the mage room. The skeleton archers/warriors in the room above also drop yellows at the same rate.

Nelzie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.