Unofficial Poll: which game mode are you interested in the most?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by monxter, Jul 31, 2013.

?

What is the MOST interesting SoTA game mode in your opinion?

1. Open play online

64.6%
  2. Friends play online

22.9%
  3. Single play online

6.3%
  4. Offline mode

6.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monxter

monxter Avatar

Hey guys, I thought I'd start this poll just out of curiosity... choose one. I know it's hard to pick just one since we can play all of the online modes or the offline one, but think of what will most likely suit the gameplay to your liking. Cheers!

2. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I expect to play both FPO and OPO for the most part; the percentage of time in each will depend on how my wife and friends accept what the OPO mode is.

3. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Although I'm Not Big Into Pvp, I Still Think OPO Will Be The Most Fun To Play. It's The Only Way To Meet New People Who Aren't NPCs.

4. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

It's kinda tough. The plan is to play online with my wife, which would be our first online game together. So FPO is a big deal for me. But after that, I'm way more interested in the Offline mode. After years of playing MMO's I just have no interest in seeing more groups of people who annoy me and I want nothing to do with. But my friends? Totally want to occasionally play with them.

But the thing I'm most looking forward to in the game is the story, the lore, and the exploration. I don't need to be online, with friends or otherwise, to enjoy any of that. It helps, but if the online portion fell away tomorrow, I'd still play the hell out of this game. I can't say the same thing in reverse.

5. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

I'm interested in playing whatever mode will make this game feel the most like the UO inspired sequel Richard Garriott talked about and a lot of us are waiting for. (open pvp online?)

I am also interested in whichever mode that will let me mod and tweak and try out modules in the game to my liking (single offline or some kind of private online game?)
    I want to modify the game and maybe even use the engine and toolkit to rebuild older Ultima games.

While the story intrigues me, I am far more interested in the sandbox portions Richard Garriott will deliver (both online and in the toolkit).

Having said that, I am very happy this game provides a variety of modes to keep all kinds of fans happy. Game on and enjoy, guys!

6. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

I think there will be two OPO modes, one w/ full on PvP and one without.

7. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I personally would prefer either single play online (SPO) or friends play online (FPO). Not sure yet about open play online (OPO). I'll probably check it out and see what type of people turn up.

Postulio - From what I understand, there is only one OPO mode, but you'll be able to flag yourself as being PvP or not.

Jambo and Freeman like this.
  8. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I sincerely hope not

9. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

@nightshadow
    I guess we'll see. I was under the impression the game matches you with whoever you want, so while you are still in OPO, you either see all PvPers or all non-PvPers (although I could be wrong, I don't have the ability to follow every video and chat session the devs put out, just what is posted on the forums). I just want full fledged PvP, don't really care how others play as long as we are not in each other's way.

@Phredicon
    Why not?

10. GFN

GFN Avatar

thanks for judging us before you even see anyone -_-

that being said, Open play is better IMO because even though you may love playing with your friends they won't always be there. SO why not go out there and meet new people? Or you know.. go single player if you wanna be a stick in the mud. All up to you.

11. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

When I switch to OPO mode, and I certainly will, I am choosing to play in that mode - with all it includes. And I want it to be like that, seeing all of the people also in OPO mode that match my matchmaking criteria, whatever that is. And when I choose to do some action that enables PvP (entering a particular hex, accepting a particular task, joining a PvP guild, going to a certain part of the world, whatever) I expect it to then ALSO include PvP enabled people in my matchmaking list.

I know we won't know the specifics of this until we start to alpha/beta test, but that's always been my assumption on how it would work.

12. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I think this says it best for OPO mode.
    http://tinyurl.com/jwzlx86
    Not sure what it all means yet but it does sound like you can turn open pvp on or off in OPO mode.

13. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

Wasn't necessarily judging you specifically, but if you're that quick to jump in with those people... be my guest.

So, let me give you my take;

Before MMO's I played MUDs. I've been online in some way shape or form as a means of playing with my friends for about as long as it's been possible to do so. I was in the beta for UO, DDO, Rift, LotRO and others. There was a PLATO system in the 70's I wish I could have go on at the time, but I wasn't quite old enough yet. The novelty of seeing dozens or hundreds of people I don't know walking around doing things that don't involve me has worn off. I've seen it before. And that's what OPO is, sure there's lots of people to meet, but how many of them do you want to meet? In short, I've met you guys before in one incarnation or another, and it's not high on my list of things to do to meet you again. I'm sure some of us could have been great friends, but if those people have anything in common with me, they'll be playing FPO or SPO too... so I probably wouldn't run into them anyway.

All that's presuming you're putting value on number of people met. Coming up on 40 here, with a wife, kid, job and a handful of friends I haven't managed to alienate yet, I'm not looking to build new commitments to people, let alone do so in volume. Adding to that circle just means time to maintain the connection that I honestly don't have. Plus I don't want to spend the few moments of personal time I get dealing with someone begging for gold, or someone griefing, or someone spamming guild requests. For every person I've added to my friends list in a game in the past, there are 50 I've hit with /ignore. Quality over quantity is kinda where I'm at right now. I'd rather have that focused experience where random strangers running through shouting stuff out of character, or begging gold, doesn't detract from it.

Does that mean I'll never go on OPO. I can almost promise I will because some quests will require it. I'll poke my head in once just for the sheer curiosity of how it works on the match making side. Maybe I'll stay. Maybe I won't. But I wouldn't miss it if it was gone, just like I didn't miss it in Neverwinter Nights.

I'm glad it's there. I'm glad that's an experience people will get, but it's not my bag anymore.

hanskrsg and Fanforran like this.
  14. Owain

Owain Avatar

I don't think you can judge what players will be like on release based upon people who post here. It may be that we are very unrepresentative.

15. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I know one thing: if this game is overrun with the Chuck Norris Joke Generation - I'll be switching to SPO for good.

Fanforran likes this.
  16. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

I will be mixing it up playing between the 3 Online modes, picked SPO as most interesting not so much because I'll play it the most, but, because I like that the option is there.

cobran likes this.
  17. hanskrsg

hanskrsg Avatar

For me this is a hard question. Wihtout the offline singleplayer, or at least online singleplayer, I wouldn't have backed the game. But I will probably try the open Multiplayer first, to see if its enjoyable as it seems it could be.

18. Owain

Owain Avatar

There is no offense to be had. Everyone goes into SotA with their own preferences. It is commendable of the dev team that they are trying to appeal to such a wide and diverse audience, and the plan they have to do so is brilliant. I hope they can pull it off.

Umbrae likes this.
  19. Borg

Borg Avatar

Tbh we have to recognize that RG is giving to the players the ultima feeling kind of game we were waiting for.
    And in adition he is ofering to every single player the option to play the way he likes to.

*Solo offline
    *Solo online
    *Friends online
    *Open World
    *Open world PvP

So the fact is that he is giving us, all we want.

Which in my case will be........

SotA OPTIONS MENU

[X] Online
    [X] Open World
    [X] PvP

Take care......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.