Unskilled Crafting

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

For this idea I'm mainly thinking about making crude but useful items "in the field" provided you have the proper components. Right now I'm mainly thinking about torches.

So long as you have a large enough stick, a cloth or cloth strip and a flammable liquid you could be able to make yourself a cheap torch without needing any additional tools. Torches, as you might expect can be very useful and it's very likely you'll find yourself in a position to need one.. and not have one.

Obviously said torch wouldn't last as long or be as sturdy as a well crafted item.

Basic bandages might be another item.. all you need is a cloth and something to cut it with.. knife or scissors.

What are some other useful items that shouldn't require skill or a workbench to create? I realize the number of items is limited but it seems this should be a reasonable ability to have.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  2. Margard

Margard Avatar

As long as you have string/rope and a knife - you can make a lot of things:

Tent (wood, large leafs)
    Spear (knife - make a point; or use knife as the spear head)
    Mace like weapon (rock, branch)
    Hat (Leafs)
    Splint

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

A splint I can see but the rest is starting to delve into basic survival skills. I wouldn't expect anyone to know how to make a tent with leaves or how to tie a rock on to a stick so you can hit things with it without it coming loose. While I agree you could make those without a crafting station or specific crafting skills.. most of those I think you'd need at least some basic survival skill. (Except the spear that's a no brainer.. just carve a pointy end).

This could make an interesting survival training scenario. Living off the land with just a knife. :) (You could use certain types of tree bark or long grass as a binder).

4. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

I agree with OP.

But my concern is the following.
    AFAIK, Devs said that there will be no skill cap, so anyone can train as many skills as they want.
    I see this as something bad, because having all the skills you need means you don't have to interact with other players to get what you need.
    That was the issue with UO. Everyone had crafters, tamers, thiefs. Thus nobody had need for crafters, only for resources.

Now I know most people would be more than happy to lock themselves in their own little world that supports itself without any need for anything from the outside big world, but its just kinda dull.

I know many of you wouldnt agree with me, but thats how I feel.

If I remember correctly, on Siege Perilous, the harcore OSI shard you could have only one character with only 700 skill points. Now that was good.

5. Margard

Margard Avatar

You could make a walking stick ... :) , spikes for a trap .... when i was thinking of things you could make i was thinking tropical region (banana leafs)

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

walking stick.. rudimentary staff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.