Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Using old 3D overland map on 7th April for comparison

Discussion in 'Release 4 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Dear devs,

would it be possible to put the old 3D overland view into the game for the 7th of April anniversary alpha-test? So that we would have a comparison in order to judge what map looks and "feels" better?

2. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Excellent idea. I second this and +1 it.

3. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Adopts Scruffy voice: "Second!"

Wait a minute.... There's an anniversary release on the 7th? Really? Where was this mentioned?

Ragnabrock likes this.
  4. Aegis159

Aegis159 Avatar

This goes back to one of my original questions.... did it actually exist or was what we saw hardbaked?

5. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

The devs had mentioned that progress was moving slowly on the 3d map (or something to that effect), so they decided to change directions right before R4 with the paper pop-up map. Chris (dev) said they could always go back to the 3d map though and it hasn't been abandoned.

6. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

It existed.

I personally walked through it during one of the pre-R4 dev tests. There are a couple of screenshots of it in Dev+ if you have access (not from me, but other users who did the same). :)

7. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I wish they would let us Plebs out here see it.

I can't afford dev+ :eek:

Ragnabrock likes this.
  8. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

The version shown in the dev-test was essentially the same as this : http://forsakenvirtues.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/1.jpg

Except rather than a "Human Figure" the character was portrayed as Shield (much like how it was denoted in the R4 version).​

That is why I get the impression the "we made the decision a couple of days earlier" comment the devs mentioned regarding changing the art style, was really just that : A quick change of the art-style.

The actual game-play involved in either version was exactly the same (excepting one could rotate the map in the dev-test version). :)

docdoom77 likes this.
  9. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Thanks! I like that infinitely better, though I still hate the shield icon. Yuck. Give me a little avatar. Even if there's only two versions (male and female) that are exceptionally generic, I prefer a character on my map.

Ragnabrock and Ungoliant like this.
  10. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Hmm... I think I've changed my mind on the overland map. I did like the paper/cloth map look in R4, but I think for the Overland map itself I'd rather see the older 3d version... then move the paper/cloth version to the minimap.

The 3d version looks like the game zoomed way way way out which keeps things cohesive. The paper/cloth map look IMO would fit better in the minimap window.

11. Aegis159

Aegis159 Avatar

That is a little avatar, he's just got a rather large cape/cloak on. That's a still from the 3-month dev demo, and in it you can see the avatar walking around.

12. DNA Cowboy

DNA Cowboy Avatar

Great idea!

13. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I know THAT is a little avatar, but NRaas said that the stuff they saw in dev+ looked like that, "Except rather than a "Human Figure" the character was portrayed as Shield (much like how it was denoted in the R4 version)."

That is what I was referring to.

NRaas and Ragnabrock like this.
  14. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

I doubt there will be ANY changes for tomorrow's play period. Besides, I like the paper map :)

lemonkey and Canterbury like this.
  15. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I would have to agree -- on both counts, actually. It would seem too close to the last playtest for anything to have radically changed; unless something was almost ready last time and held back.

And, on the paper map, my thoughts are well-known, ie: It has a long way to go before it gets to where they want it to be, but I think it's a really interesting look, and I'm behind it if they continue on with it.

Time Lord and Seir like this.
  16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

A Dev+ member said that the old 3D overland view was in the game and playable in the Pre R4-test on which Dev+-members participated. They exchanged it just before the official launch of R4.

docdoom77 likes this.
  17. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Ok, as the servers are open now it seems we got ignored with our request... I would at least have expected a dev to show up and tell us that it would not be possible if they wouldn't include the old map, but ignoring it is not a nice way... I fear that our voices and feelings about the paper map will be dealt with in a similar way :(

18. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

In their defense, they've been very busy leading up to this week with all the deep dives, r4 deconstruction and prepping for r5. They may not have even seen this thread.

19. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I prefer "zooming out" to the 3d version. It feels more "real" and keeps the zones together in a more appealing way. It just currently feels like fast-travel done slow and perhaps a 3d version makes it feel more like you're travelling the distance than watching an Indiana Jones montage.

I imagine whatever version we use will improve beyond it's current iteration anyways.

As a future feature -> I'd love if instead of the little bubble closing on your avatar the camera angle instead changes and begins to zoom out to map level.

A map where clouds are drifting by and pleasant travelling music would be much more appealing and there are lots of improvements I know they can make to either version.

20. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Absolutly agree with that great idea!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.