Value of a POT lot from the citizen point of view

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phiedrus Oliva, Nov 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phiedrus Oliva

Phiedrus Oliva Avatar

I have been in SOTA for just a few days. I've had my home in a POT until R24, that I have found a lot in a public town, because I want to also test living in a public area.

In this time I've had time to see advertising of POT owners offering lots, so there is definitely interest in some POT owners in getting population. For those, I'd like to share my thoughts on what things I find attractive when looking for a home. Of course I am not telling anyone how to design their POTs, as there are many interests and priorities out there, but maybe someone finds useful the point of view of a citizen seeking lot.

So, these are the things I consider based on the days I've been in a POT. These are personal preferences, of course, but I invite you to add yours, because maybe you come up with things I haven't yet discovered.

* My lot is near one of the exits. Walking all the scene, even if the scene is wonderful, is only nice the first two or three times, and found this is to me a preference over a nice location with great views.

* Services are easily reachable. Specially, to me, the bank and the public crafting tables (yes, there should be crafting tables).

* A town crier at the entrance if you want to attract citizens, so they know if there are plots available withoug having to go around searching.

* Travel systems, like boats or caravans that are a shortcut to other towns or even within the same town as in Ardoris, where the boatman can take you to important places (I haven't seen those in POTs, not sure if that's even something a POT owner can have).

* Low lag. This is specially personal, because either you want to live in a town full of things or an emptier one. If I live in a POT with enouth services, I probably prefer a quieter place to put my house in, which in addition is lag-free. POTs are usually nice on this regard.

I have a tax free lot, so I could live in a place where I would never pay tax or be subject to any rule, but having these things could definitely get me into a POT.

Sheriff and Numa like this.
  2. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

As usual, I'm split between two views on this, not having had a house at all so far I'm probably edging towards having two, one in a POT and one in a 'general' town.

The functionality aspects of location, services and such would drive the 'public' house location, but the POT one would be driven entirely by it being a great centre for a community of like-minded people, so deciding which POT to try join is something I need to spend time considering and researching, and the 'facilities' and conveniences of the POT would be secondary to the community there.

serolrom likes this.
  3. Numa

Numa Avatar

Nice list @serolrom, I"m pretty sure a number of POT owners will take note of it.

And a very hearty welcome to SOTA to you & @Aurelius !

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    Sheriff and serolrom like this.
  4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Well, at least if the TC isn't at the entrance, most use a variation of the same template, so you'll find him on the docks. NPC towns are usually good about keeping him near the entrance, except that I still haven't found the TC in Kingsport.

Right now the #1 (temporary) problem for me is that most of them haven't even been touched yet. Once you trudge down to the docks you find no lots. When you don't see the TC near the entrance, it's usually an indication of an unconfigured PoT.

Second is the ones that were meant for private use (friends, guild, etc.) but you have trudge all the way down to the TC to see all lots are <Reserved>. (Note that I'm okay with when reserving lots to encourage settlement in another part of town, the problem is having to walk so far to find out that it's a Friends and Family PoT.)

But holy crap about location. I had been eyeing just to the right of the entrance in the standard template, and in PaxLair a couple of weeks ago saw that a whole bunch of lots had been unreserved. And right where I wanted to be (which also happened to be almost next door to the meeting arena), and I even set things up to complement the layout of the area. Crafting tables aren't as much of a problem with a village lot, plenty of room to put your own. I'm sad that more people haven't taken a lot there but surprised that two have.

And I don't mind going downhill to shop for crafting supplies, I keep enough in a box that I don't have to go often.

Numa likes this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

So lets see here.

I'm guessing you mean entrance here, since there are multiple exits in all of the scenes.

Everyone can't be near the entrance unfortunately.

But right now in Lux there are row lots left really close to the entrance.

Expert Crafting Stations, are next to bank, crafting merchant, decorations merchant, etc.

Out of our control.
    In the default template, Forest01, then Portalarium has placed it in the middle of the scene. :( and we can't move it.
    But what we did instead was to place a banker at the entrance for conveniance to all who run the late shift in the Graff Gem mines...

Dynamic POTs are not given such things. You can have them in static towns though, but I prefer dynamic regardless..

This is really correlated to the size of the POT. Larger POTs will have higher lag.

Arthur Shank and Numa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.