Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Visual / Performance / Experience of Brittany Central

Discussion in 'Release 39 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Violation Clauth, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

This feedback is strictly for devs and not players/public. Thank you.

When I think of the nostalgia crowd from the previous LB games I immediately think of them going to Brit. So, as that will be an attraction for new people, I wanted to see if it felt rewarding with the new performance changes. Previously, the feedback was overwhelmingly no due to performance.

First impression: low fps, too much clutter, no clear direction where to go, guards are not helpful. Where are the signs and posts telling me what to do? Where are names of what this is/where I am? Why does everything appear to be frozen? I see no sign for all the frost... no one is dressed to show it's cold... just odd to have everything get a wet frosted blue highlight.

[​IMG]

It's worth mentioning the compass shows "Heavy Clouds Calm" and yet everything appears to be wet, frosted, dirty, yuck. Oh well, I have my boots on... let's go!

I head around and honestly I can't see where I am going. I don't know what anything is and can't pull my camera up high enough to see the roads. The walls are overbearingly high in comparison to structures and I can't see where the castle is until I get to a main road to it. It only took a couple minutes to find the main road again so, let's go meet Lord British.

Ah, a guard at the castle walls. I'll talk to him to tell him I'm friendly... err, her. "Hail"
    Camera zooms in, a new automatic conversation screen appears with words at the bottom... I'm not interested in these things so I read what the conversation log says...
    Guard: Good day, outlander.
    Violation Clauth: Hail

... okay immersion broken... game doesn't work... explained:
    ... I can't type. I press enter to enter the chat box, doesn't work, still can't type.
    ... I go to try and click and that works... I have to use my mouse to talk every time? This is retarded... okay now I know.

*Very clear feedback: AWKWARDLY CLICKS WITH MOUSE AFTER SAYING HI SO I CAN TALK EVEN THOUGH IT'S OBVIOUS I WANT TO TALK*

Violation Clauth: Where is Lord British?
    Guard: Hmm.

Violation Clauth: Would it be possible to enter the castle now?
    Guard: I do not understand. Could you explain?

Violation Clauth: Can I go in to meet Lord British?
    Guard: I'm not sure what you mean.

... well, this guard is not just less helpful than the last it is also apparently stupid.

Violation Clauth: Goodbye
    Guard: Take care and stay out of trouble.

I walk in, I turn to the left to what appears to be the castle entrance and see large cathedral style windows with no glass... this is odd to see all the wood framing for glass and not see glass. I can also clearly see through the building. The shadowcast from the torch on the wall is stronger than it appears like it should be but the fire and smoke look pretty cool. Firelight is not usually this steady either, why isn't the shadow flickering with the fire? Basically, this shadow looks stale, dark, and out of place; however, I can tell it's an attempt at a shadow from the torch.

[​IMG]
    The whole place still looks flooded and frozen... it looks like it would be unsafe to walk here and obviously this area isn't kept up so I'm not in the right place... I will turn around.

Oh, this makes sense now, I run around and find that I was actually at the back doors... okay, two guards now, huge doors, this has to be the entrance... let's see how smart the door guards are.

I double click the guard as to not create the issue I had last time... he rushes toward me as if to attack but I cannot draw my weapon or move back... I lost control, but he calms the worry with a ...

Violation Clauth: Good day! My name is Violation, I'm here to meet Lord British. Is he home?
    Guard: Well met, Violation Clauth.

Violation Clauth: Thank you, is Lord British in?
    Guard: Hmm.

... okay, another stupid guard.

Violation Clauth: Good sir, what is your name?
    Guard: I do not yet have a name to share with you.

... wait, he doesn't have a name yet? Why not? what the hell kind of place has an adult male and doesn't give them a name... this society is wack jack!

Violation Clauth: Okay, if you don't know about Lord British, you do not have a name, and aren't in a sharing mood I guess I will be on my way then.
    Guard: I do not yet have a name to share with you.

Violation Clauth: Farewell, guard.
    Guard: Take care and stay out of trouble.

I go to walk away and barely can move... almost as if he's arrested me. I see the chat log says "Greetings, outlander" and I haven't done anything to offend him so I continue trying to walk and finally free up. Let's go check out the castle...

OH MY !!! CARPET WALLS?! COME ON GRANDMA!!! Of all the things... carpet walls? Calm down... wet floors, carpet walls, and empty weapon racks... no one knows who Lord British is... clearly we aren't in Britannia anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh wow, this looks WAY better... but... No one is home... no one has heard of Lord British... Honestly, at this point, I feel like I've broken into the castle. I'm going to end my journey here before I get arrested for breaking and entering. Talking about laws, where is this oracle that was supposed to be watching everything I do? I haven't seen it yet... I'll go try to find it.

Whew! That was easy, oracle is right out the main door. Nice. Okay wait, was this all a trap? It's door is locked... okay there's a smaller one here... let's check that one out.

I go to talk to it and the conversation window doesn't pop up... stays in the chat box like before NPC changes... why didn't they change the oracle to match other NPCs?

*** interrupted: daughter needs a diaper change, noted due to the following ***

I go to talk to it and the conversation window opens... wait, last time it was in the chat box like pre-NPC changed conversations and now it's in the NPC conversation system with zoomed in camera... okay then. No clue what that was and can't replicate it so... whatever! (note: if you spam click over and over you do get the system message instead of the NPC chat window; however, that's not what happened the first time)

*** Chat logs ***
    11:45:46 The Oracle: Welcome, Violation Clauth. I see you have taken your first steps on the Path of Truth. This will ultimately lead you to the titan, Boreas, and you will learn that truth can be a source of great strength and great terror, both for humanity and those not of your species. Your destiny awaits, and I am here to guide you.

11:52:20 The Oracle: Yes, hello, Violation Clauth. Do you seek my counsel on the path before you? Perhaps you are here regarding my protection? I can also test you on your knowledge of yourself, if you so wish.

11:54:00 The Oracle: Yes, hello, Violation Clauth. Do you seek my counsel on the path before you? Perhaps you are here regarding my protection? I can also test you on your knowledge of yourself, if you so wish.

11:54:03 You just tried to talk to that NPC. Please wait a moment.
    11:54:35 The Oracle: Yes, hello, Violation Clauth. Do you seek my counsel on the path before you? Perhaps you are here regarding my protection? I can also test you on your knowledge of yourself, if you so wish.

11:54:51 Violation Clauth: Hail. I am actually here to ask about the whereabouts of Lord British?
    11:54:51 The Oracle: Yes, hello, Violation Clauth. Do you seek my counsel on the path before you? Perhaps you are here regarding my protection? I can also test you on your knowledge of yourself, if you so wish.

11:55:04 Violation Clauth: Do you know who Lord British is?
    11:55:04 The Oracle: He is the first outlander, yet we have never met, he is that which I can never, ever know.

11:55:52 Violation Clauth: He's the first outlander, yet, you have not met and can never ever know him? Then how do you know me and are able to meet me?
    11:55:52 The Oracle: I know of your true origins, Violation Clauth. You are as the prophecy states.

11:56:14 Violation Clauth: Yet, Lord British is the pinnacle outlander that you can not know?
    11:56:14 The Oracle: He is the first outlander, yet we have never met, he is that which I can never, ever know. I know of your true origins, Violation Clauth. You are as the prophecy states.

11:56:22 Violation Clauth: What prophecy?
    11:56:22 The Oracle: Your arrival has been forseen. You are the agent of that which will come. You bring hope and doom with every step you take down your path, a path which has long been predicted. You believe you have free will. You do not. You are part of a song which is nearing its final chorus. And at its end, I shall be there with you.

11:57:15 Violation Clauth: Well, that's intense. You say I bring hope and doom, yet, I see no one who wants to have a conversation with me. Without meaningful interactions how can hope or doom be part of my story?
    11:57:16 The Oracle: On that subject, I have nothing to share with you.

11:57:53 Violation Clauth: So you know why they refuse to speak to me and will not share it with me? The cause for this brings me concern. Why are the people here unwilling to speak to me, that is my information request
    11:57:53 The Oracle: On that subject, I have nothing to share with you.

11:58:05 Violation Clauth: Then, I have nothing left to speak of with you.
    11:58:05 The Oracle: On that subject, I have nothing to share with you.

11:58:10 Violation Clauth: goodbye
    *** END Chat logs ***

The bushes and flags are fine... the person walking exceptionally slow and semi awkward is just too out of place... I'll go talk to the one with the thick furs on...

Citizen: Greetings.

Violation Clauth: Hail, my name is Violation, what is your purpose in this place?
    Citizen: It is a pleasure to meet you, Violation Clauth. Greetings.

Violation Clauth: Greetings, what is your job?
    Citizen: My business is my own.

Violation Clauth: It seems everyone here has a point of contention with me and does not want to talk...
    Citizen: Hmm.

Violation Clauth: Could you explain what I should do about that?
    Citizen: If you say so.

Violation Clauth: what should I do
    Citizen: I need no assistance, thank you.

Violation Clauth: You're welcome, thank you, goodbye.

I am a bit disappointed they know my family name without me sharing it. I've yet to tell anyone here that I'm a Clauth, yet, when I say I'm Violation they know I'm a Clauth. It's rather odd and not explained as to why. No one will talk to me. I know from previous quests they don't like me here but I don't know why. I don't understand why Lord British isn't here... this should be his home. I haven't found anyone who knows him or of him and yet I've seen him in the game. He's obviously here and part of the world, yet, the Oracle says they do not know him and can not know him. I think my journey in Brittany has come to an end.

System: FPS is lower than anywhere else I play by 20-30 fps... it's 10-15 fps lower than the other brit towns
    Experience: I'm bored and dissapointed

Purpose of this feedback: I just wanted to see what it would be like to stream the game to people and show them the state. I want to get into streaming; however, I feel like the game isn't ready to be shown. I think the sandbox side is. I'll keep my streaming to the sandbox side because the game is missing a TON of quality content right now. NPCs conversations are basically all empty and pointless. The visuals are fine and graphics should basically be ignored at this point. I want content. I don't know why time was spent adding this water look to the place. My wife walked by while I was doing this write up and I laughed because about 10 seconds after I wrote the piece about the wet frosted look she asked "why does that town look like it's flooded" and I said "I don't know" so she asked "Did it just rain?" and I said "nope, hasn't rained on the overland map or in this city that I've seen yet... also, says it's calm on the compass." So she kinda let out a puzzled "hmm". My wife, family, friends, and the general public look at this game with confusion. It makes no sense where things are going and why.

Personal example of the above feedback: Why do I have restrictions being placed on my inventory? item # makes sense... not being able to put a bag in a chest doesn't. I know why now that I've asked a developer; however, it's not explained in any way in the game. It just simply should work and doesn't. It feels broken and disappointing still.

After a long and potentially negative write up (*seriously not my intent, I had no idea if it would be negative, neutral, or positive since I haven't gone through this town for months*) I want to finish with the fact I'm really having a LOT of fun with SotA. I keep taking breaks for work and family and sota con and other life events; however, each time I come back. I see this game as having the X Factor that most games miss. I'm sold out on it; however, I think it's just still in an infancy state. There's missing end-game content and compelling desires to go do something. It makes the game feel overly grindy and underwhelming. I think if less restrictions are placed on players and more just open content and stories were made the focus it would help resolve some of that feeling. Also, I think it would be important to start giving things away again. The traveler hats were a great success for a lot of people's monthly "I have something new to do!" play experience. I think a renewed "you played X hours" award that didn't require quest writing time would be great... even if it's just a block of experience and/or gold... something to get people logged in and socializing INSIDE the game instead of on the forums.

Another interesting note: when reading through a lot of complaints and bug reports I have a lot of "well, you just didn't realize that was changed already" or "That's because you're doing it wrong" thoughts going through my head... Getting people into the game for this stuff might help resolve that by naturally exposing them to more in-game knowledge.

Take and leave the thoughts for what you will. I'm very happy with the state of things right now and I look forward to some of the above concerns being resolved as the game is bolstered and moves closer to the finish line. Also, I just purchased a ton of new cloths due to the transmog system... *cheers* love it! THANKS SO MUCH for putting that in!

Cheers!

edit 1: do=due

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Xeethrax and Ickthmus like this.
  2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I agree with the majority of what you say.

I've said a few times on the forums. This even match's what Richard says in his new book. This new funding model is harsh. Its going to take years and years to get a game we consider complete, this is just how the gaming industry has turned. They just cant afford to drop 100 mil on an unknown MMO thats fully complete to the detail that you talk about because some of them have failed and the company lost all the money (Tabula Rasa for example, sorry RG). What we have is 11 mil. Richard uses the example of EVE. EVE was pretty bad a launch but by its 10th year was one of the biggest games ever.

The best we can hope for with SOTA is that it has an adequate launch, people continue to buy stuff and fund them and in 5 years we have a great game with hopefully all the detailed things you talk about. This is my hope.

3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Thanks for posting this, it really illustrates the frustrations I've also felt with the dialogue system in particular. I love the concept, but the execution - particularly when trying to get information for say, a quest - usually leads me straight to the forums to figure out what the magic word is. The new dialogue box, at the least, removes this step. Sort of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.