War Preparations - Part IX - Road to Necropolis

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Boris Mondragon, Dec 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Boris saw what the silver cannon could do using the spyglass. That coconut tree exploded from the impact and both Boris and Dwalin grinned. "Razulah any seagulls return with replies?".

"No, Captain, none yet". Boris looked through the astrolabe and his suspicions were confirmed. Within 24 hours something was going to happen according to the skies. "Razulah, send out the last three seagulls to Dragomir, Serenite and Numinous Gleann. Let them know something is going to happen tomorrow and that they may want to do final preparations".

The "Dragon" was heading south and then east past Grumridge towards Etceter. They had considered Etceter a good docking stop yet something was not right as they neared it. At least two of the Obsidian Warships were docked there. "Josephus, we need another nearby secluded port near Necropolis. What do you suggest".

"Captain, on the east side of Siren Isle there is a small island called Parrot's Roost. We can dock there and you can take a small boat to the shore. From there we can draw a map that will take you to Necropolis. If we dock on the eastern side of Parrot's Roost we will be almost invisible to nearby ships passing to and from Etceter".

The course was set and the "Dragon" docked on the eastern shore of the island as the sun was setting. Final preparations were made and Boris and Razulah prepared to lower the boat with map and provisions for three days. Boris looked at the island with the spyglass and noticed all was calm yet something stood out. There was a woman running not far inland with a bear. "Razulah, that is the woman that I saw in Rat's Nest. How could she be here, do you see any other ships?". Captain, she may be privy to those scrolls and incantations some use to travel long distances in minutes".

Boris looked atop the Captain's quarters to see Marak resting there. The dragon had fed well and would accompany them on their land travel. "Razulah, if we stay here tonight and depart at sunrise, can we still be in Necropolis tomorrow night?".

"Aye Captain, I know these mountains to the east and a safe passage south through Cooper's Pass then east to the Necropolis Barrens. I see good weather ahead so its is probable we will be there at sunset".

The stars were visible and Boris looked at the sky thinking this could be an alternate home port besides Serenite.

2. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

'Oracles Boricles…….it's that ship, again!!' After a day of languishing in the sun with a spot of fishing to relax her, the recent strange happenings had begun to dim in her mind, until there again off at sea the ship which seemed to be treating her as a homing beacon had appeared, again.

She had watched from amongst the dense palm trees on the shore, its occupants anchoring at sea and rowing into the shore just as the world gave its final glorious sight of the day. The sunset here was unmatched anywhere in the world of Novia, or so she thought at least. This was 'her' cove and settled back behind some palm trees around the point from where the ship had anchored was her main home. It was peaceful there, rarely any visitors, apart from those with an exquisite taste for home grown and cooked food, and those seeking a fighting beast to accompany them on their adventures.

As she watched from amongst the palm groves, the 'invaders' as that’s what they surely were now, invading her home surrounds, had embarked from a rowing boat they had lowered from the ship now anchored out at sea, and had set up camp for the night on the shore. Whatever happened they couldn’t turn around the corner of the spit and see her home in the morning when they arose. Hopefully they would set sail again or head off through the small track to their north and inland away from her and her secrets. Not willing to leave this to chance a plan needed to be actioned…

'Hargol, I want you to head home and get all the troops ready for action, understand?'

Harrghh gaarrrrgh…..

'I will be heading to Etceter, I will meet you back home in a few hours'

She heard them before she found them…..'Rawhhh Raaah Raaaaaaaaah Rawwwww', the 'Raaa Raaa Boys from Sawtooth Thicket' as she liked to call them had recently become unemployed and spent most of their days now hanging out at the pub in Etceter. They had been employed as a deterrent to poachers in Sawtooth Thicket, meant to scare away any would be thief's but with their combat skills lacking they had resorted to this task by having a bark worse than their bite and had been fired in favour of a new bunch of less vocal but more adept cutthroats.

With lack of work and coin in their pockets they didn't have much choice in agreeing to the proposal she set forth to them…..

Getting home a few hours later, lined up outside the house were her friends and troops Hargol had rounded up for operation 'Get off my beeeeaaaaach', a catchy name she had thought up on the journey back.

Squirter, was a big ferocious red spider, deadly in a fight, but for this operation no force was to be used. 'Squirter, I want you to creep up under cover of darkness and do your sticky stuff, squirt all over the beach between their camp and our home, understand?'

Hsssshhhhh shhhhssshhhh…..was her reply

Good that should make them head in the opposite direction when the morning came, especially when they were bare foot.

'Pip'…..A small rabbit looking dog raised her head and thus her ears and waited for her instructions. Pip was an unfortunate result of a rabbit hunting trip, where her mother had got stuck head first down a rabbit hole and had been unable to repulse the attentions of an amorous jack rabbit. A body of a small dog, but with ears any rabbit would be proud listened intently.

'Just do what you do at home, steal all the shoes and socks of the invaders, I want them barefoot, understand?'

Grrrrr squeeee Gr Gr squeeee…..

'Gobbler'…..A friend that always seemed to appear around Christmas, a turkey with an amazing vocal box, cocked its head on one side and for once listened without making any sound.

'Head off into the palm groves and make as much noise as you can, all night, understand?'

Gooooble Gobble…….

'Hargol, Same for you, into the palm groves, growl and howl all night, and if those Raa Raa Boys take a break from their employ, you free to give them a quick swipe'

Haaaarggghh Graaaagh……..

Just at that moment she heard the first 'Raaaaaaaa' emit from the dark of the palm groves. Good they were in their positions, 'Ok friends, off you go, and remember as much noise as possible I don’t want them sleeping a wink tonight!'

With that she headed down into her basement, 5 floors down to a nice cosy bed and a lovely quite night's sleep…..

3. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

They had set camp on shore and finished their meal. Razulah had brought rum and his special blend to smoke as well. He lit up the pipe and passed it over to Boris. "Razulah, last time I smoked whatever you have in that pipe it did not end very well for me so I will pass on your offer" "But Captain, tis only ground nightshade and a sprinkling of mandrake root, tis purely medicinal". "Medicinal?, no matter what you call it, I want a peaceful sleep hence I will stick to the rum".

Then the noise began. The howls, the growls and upon waking up their shoes and socks were gone. The sticky substance near their camp gave proof even spiders were in the area. "Razulah. pick up camp, we are leaving now".

Both men walked slowly trying to avoid rocks and other items scattered on the sand. "I thought Josephus recommended this place, I think he walks the plank tonight, maybe I will feed him to Marak". Boris was upset at this outcome on this otherwise tranquil looking beach. They finally made it back to the rowboat and half an our later were on the "Dragon".

"Captain, what happened" piped Josephus. "Josephus you may be Marak's next dinner entrée if you say one more word. That beach is haunted. Lift the anchor and get us on the shore next to the mountains. We will travel to Necropolis tonight".

At the first sign of sunrise the "Dragon" had anchored again far from that haunted island called "Parrot's Roost". Again the rowboat was lowered with Boris and Razulah rowing to the nearby shore. They made it through the mountains and saw a town called "Jagged Hold". From there south around the "Sawtooth Thicket" and through "Cooper's Pass".

"Captain, we are near the Necropolis Barrens, mayhaps we rest and eat. Tis early afternoon and we can still make it to Necropolis by early evening" "I agree Razulah, Lets set up camp and rest a few hours. We do not know if this will be our last meal nor what to expect inside Necropolis".

The small cave they camped in was clean and with good ventilation. A small simple meal comprised of bear meat and potatoes with a bit of ale would suffice for now. The sun was setting on the horizon and both men headed out quickly towards Necropolis.

The barrens were a bit hostile as both men battled wolves, spiders and a few skeletal troops which had blocked their passage yet they finally arrived at the entrance of this nefarious locale as night had set in.

Boris heard the noise first and took his two-handed sword from the scabbard only to realize it was the Dark Knight from Serenite who nodded to him from a short distance. Another noise revealed Marak who had arrived and perched himself atop the dark fortress. "Marak, stand guard, only Razulah and I will venture inside. If we do not come out then go back to the ship and alert Dwalin to sail on to Serenite without us".

With torches in hand, two men pushed the doors of the Necropolis open and faced their fate.

4. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Boris had heard stories of what some faced in Necropolis before they ran out in Horror yet all seemed calm as if the place waited for him to show up. There was a smell of death in the air and twice Razulah stopped as if the oxygen had been sucked out of his lungs. Boris picked him back up each time his friend collapsed. "Razulah, come we have to finish what we started back in Brittany".

They turned a corridor and then they saw it. A large lich sitting on a throne and next to him was Camilo Mondragon in chains. The lich stood and spoke in a mocking tone. "Ahh the dragon child comes to us. You can take your father back. He has no purpose now, he brought you to us and now he can go." Mysteriously the chains holding Camilo Mondragon disappeared and he walked to his son on unsteady legs. Boris held his father briefly and whispered to him as they hugged for the first time in Boris' life. "Father, leave now. Razulah will guide you out and Marak will lead you both back to the ship. Have Lieutenant Bombardin head to Numinous Gleann where they will help you get back to the old lands". He motioned for Razulah to take him out of there and the large man hesitated at first not wanting to leave Boris alone.

"Razulah, he has instructions , get him out of here. This is something I must do alone". Razulah nodded and both men hurried out of the room.

"Well dragonchild, are you ready to serve our master or do I soften you up first". Again that mocking tone infuriated Boris yet he knew to control his temper. "My name is Xanatos and ye will serve Master Asapi through my commands. Come to me now so we can begin the process". Boris did indeed walk towards the large lich who again laughed at him. That was his final act for the day as Boris came close to him and leaped as high as he could burying the special dagger in the Lich's forehead.

The room erupted in brilliant blue light and the Lich crumbled to the ground in a heap of ashes. "Soften this if you can" Boris looked down and retrieved his dagger from the pile of ashes.

He was about to leave when another voice was heard and an image appeared. "Ahh Dragonchild, ye are a formidable opponent for my minion but not for me. Let me show you my plans for you"

The images were clear as day showing Boris on a throne made of pure obsidian filled with gold, gems and voluptuous women. It also showed a coastline full of ships under his command. "This can be all yours Dragonchild, all I want is your servitude and part of your dragonblood. You and I can rule the entire continent and then beyond to other realms. All I need is your answer now".

Boris felt the temptation briefly and walked toward the image which began to materialize then stopped. He threw the dagger at the figure 10 feet from him yet the dagger exploded before reaching him. "Did you think you cojuld match my power, Did you think this puny thing could harm me. You cannot defeat me dragonchild" The figure moved closer to Boris now who stood in front of him clutching his two handed sword.

"You cannot destroy evil, you may contain it but to do that you will need two others. A valiant warior and a mage of the black robes. If you can get both to agree to follow you into Malice then you may give me a challenge or entertainment. For now take this back with ou".

Two bolds of obsidian energy hit Boris. One hit his head and the other his chest. Boris crumpled into a heap then slowly got up. The image of Asapi disappeared and Boris struggled to get back on his feet. He held himself up and slowly walked out to the entrance of Necropolis. He opened the door and fell flat on his face in a lifeless heap. The last thing he remembered was a large figure who picked him up and slung him over his shoulder. He barely heard Duke Williams's words "How is he". The large knight shook his head as he lowered him to the ground in front of Duke William of Serenite.

The End?

OOC Note; *My eternal gratitude to all those who comtributed to this story and those that encouraged me and supported me in this story* R/Boris

5. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Duke William was attending a sermon at the Oracle Temple when the dark knight arrived in Serenite. William signals one of the temple priests to come over. "Please help him."

The priest opened up Boris' shirt to look at the wounds. The priest looks at William with worried eyes "Look at the wounds the flesh around them is rotting." Boris' wounds were two black holes one on his side and back, around them the flesh was turning black and green with a putrid smell. "Let me get the Arch Magus to look at it" says the priest. The priest runs into the Oracle temple and at the podium was an man in his late years with a white flowing beard, with a black robe with Oracle eyes everywhere. The Arch Magus lets out a big sigh "There is only one way to help him." He motions to the priest bring me a cup, quickly! The priest runs in the temple and runs back out with a silver chalice with Oracle eyes on both sides.

The Arch Magus walks over to the dark knight and pulls out a dagger and begins to cut him. He then proceeds to catch the blood with his chalice. He then begins to chant in an old tongue long forgotten to the ages.
    He lifts up Boris' head and gives him the blood to drink. He then rubs some of the remaining blood around the wounds edges. As soon as the dark blood touches the wound Boris' flesh started to change back to normal. During all this time the Arch Magus never let up chanting and began to spin his hand above the dragon mans chest and a dark ball began to form. "Drinking the dark knights blood is fatal, his soul will become possessed unless the magus completes the ritual" says William.
    As the magus chanting intensified, the dark ball began to start glowing white and at that moment Boris head popped up with his eyes wide open. The priest says with a big smile on his face "Welcome back to the land of the living."

Boris seemed a bit bewildered, he proceeded to shake his head in confusion. "What where am I, William?" The dark knight brought you here and now you are safe, however you must rest. Everything is ok now thanks to our Arch Magus Magnus. Your soul visited a very dark place and has returned, you will be weak for a few days. He reaches into his pouch decorated with Obsidian gems and retrieves a pouch with yellow herbs. "Here drink this with some hot water twice a day."

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  6. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Razulah helped Camilo Mondragon out of Necropolis though his heart told him to stay and help his captain. Camilo was fatigued from weeks of inactivity chained to the walls of Necropolis by the Lich Xanatos. Razulah gave the man a strenght potion which did help considerably and both took the same path back to the Dragon. They traveled all night until the "Dragon" was visible. The rowboat was still where it had been left and Razulah rowed back to the ship with a sense of urgency.

"Dwalin, have them raise the boat, we must hurry." Marak descended on his usual perching spot being the Captain's quarters roof yet he was restless as never before. Something bothered the blue dragon and Razulah and Dwalin noticed it.

"Razulah where is the Captain and who is this man that resembles him?". Dwalin was concerned at this point as things were happening faster than he could understand. Razulah pulled Dwalin over to the side and let him know what had transpired back at Necropolis.

"Quartermaster, tend to this gentleman who is our guest and feed Marak as well. Josephus, raise the anchor and head towards Numinous Gleann. The captain will meet us there". Those words calmed the nervous crew who was used to Captain Mondragon barking out the orders yet this was the reason Dwalin was next in command as executive officer of the "Dragon".

The ship headed south then east and by daybreak was close to Numinous Gleann. The drums onboard announced their arrival as many from that town rushed to the dock to greet them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.