Warning do not GM gathering skills Lock at 99

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Rofo, Feb 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

So I was mining in Etceter Crag mines for copper or Gold earning 1500 xp for a success minus cost of skill spend.

I decided to work up Swift gathering first, when I dinged 100 nodes became worth only 500 xp for a success.

The plan was to raise skill next, but instead of earning 1500 a node I'll only be earning 500 node.
    If your planning to GM several Skills in the same gathering tree, make sure you lock at 99 until you've done most of your leveling, otherwise the reduced earn rate will cripple your progression.

2. agra

agra Avatar

Ah yes, the hidden "fine print" of all mysterious mechanics. Go Go false transparency.

Excellent post, Rofo, good to know, and thanks for the time & effort to discover this rather stinky "easter egg".

3. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I think you will find that has more to do with your PRD level

Moiseyev Trueden, Weins201 and Leelu like this.
  4. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

nope still producer level 58 which I dinged in the low 90's.

edit..
    Themo says, which makes me doubt myself.. perhaps I could have missed it. I but I checked @99 because I was tracking the spend of success and failure. But it's possible my math was off because I saw what I expected to see.

5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

@Themo Lock, are you saying that pooled producer XP yield lower as we go past 50ish level?

6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I am not 100% sure but it seems like killing stuff that has green name (lower level than you) yields lower exp than when you were lower than it and if that is true then perhaps is same with gathering. Need time to verify. @Rofo don't doubt what you see because i comment, it is just a quick theory that is mostly untested

7. Womby

Womby Avatar

My experience with levelling up mining: When I reached level 80 Mining Proficiency I had about 2.5 million Pooled Producer XP. As I mined, each successful ore node grabbed about 2,000 of that pool and spent it on all four mining skills. I turned off Survey and Swift Gathering. The amount was still around 2,000 but it all went to Mining Proficiency and Meticulous Collection (the green bar was moving by noticeably larger increments). Then I switched off Meticulous Collection and had a smooth ride to Mining Proficiency level 99. I then locked MP and brought Meticulous Collection up to 90. I currently have 500,000 XP left in the pool.

8. agra

agra Avatar

What's your opinion regarding Mining at 99 skill? That is, do you see multiple harvest results, rare harvest results, that kind of thing, consistently? Or is it just faster to harvest, overall?

9. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

@agra With mining GM'd I have a 68% chance on the Crag nodes, but I'm getting pretty consistent crit harvests and Meticulous collections (lvl 50). Swift gathering is at 90, its like 73% harvesting rate increase, pretty noticeable now.

10. agra

agra Avatar

Hm, that's lower than I expected, but thank you for the hard numbers, Oba.

I don't think the general population is going to like such low chances at such high skill, but I guess we'll see on July 28th. :)

Beaumaris and Oba Evesor like this.
  11. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

68% with what tools?
    Normal or prosperity?
    Do not forget that later even better tools are available.

4EverLost and Oba Evesor like this.
  12. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

It's always a balance that is hoping supply doesn't greatly exceed demand. It might feel great as a gatherer to get 5 ore per harvest, but then they would just need to have higher costs for the next level recipe (which people already complain about when converting logs to timber).

%'s like 15% would be far more annoying because you can get really streaky with not getting anything.

At 15% chance to gather ore if 20 people sit down and mine 20 times odds are one of those people won't get any ore to show for their efforts. At least at the 68% you are very unlikely to even go more than 5 in a row without getting any ore. (1 in 1000 chance of missing 6 times).

Jivalax Azon and 4EverLost like this.
  13. agra

agra Avatar

There's quite a number of creative, innovative, and non punitive ways to increase that 'cost' rather than just doubling the harvest requirement every tier/level of final product.

14. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Sorry, good point. I use the Prosperity tools. If I didn't it would be 58-59%

Leelu likes this.
  15. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I'd be interested in hearing these creative innovative and non punitive ways of this.

Right now there is

1) Producer Supply
    2) Then Supply lost to Refinement
    3) Then Supply lost to Crafting

And the balancing of 1,2,3 will determine how much demand there is for producers. This is simplified, but if the base of the pyramid is Supply and the top of the pyramid is finished product, increasing the supply affects rarity all along the scale.

But at the end of the day there is still balancing to come on these numbers.

4EverLost likes this.
  16. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

I am still testing the numbers but there are at least three things that influence your chance to harvest.
    Producer level, Mining Proficiency, and tool used.

With a harvest chance at 62% I very rarely received a "crit" harvest that finishes almost instantly, but more common than when I was at 50%.

100 swift harvest speed is increased by 80%.
    To me it seems like a priority place to spend points, it turns mining into skinning as far as speed is concerned.
    I personally don't mind failing once or twice, if each attempt is 3x faster.

I tracked the xp spend rates from 75 to 100 which I noted in the bug form
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-more-xp-than-you-can-earn.45464/#post-503621

I have since deleted and rerolled Rofo (again) to more fully track "everything" this time around.
    But real life has kept me from making much progress so far.

Moiseyev Trueden, agra and Leelu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.