Way too expensive

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by MalakBrightpalm, Mar 4, 2015.

?

Do you agree that repair should be cheaper than replacement in most cases?

1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    96.4%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Just pointing this out, but repair kits are obscenely expensive.

It is literally cheaper to buy any piece of augmented leather armor from the vendor than it is to buy a SINGLE repair kit.

I didn't crunch all the numbers for every piece, but I believe it would be cheaper to buy a new piece of augmented PLATE than it would be to repair it to full with kits.

Now, I understand that repairs need to be a gold sink, but it's unrealistic to have repairing any given piece of gear be more expensive than buying a new one. Perhaps repaired gear won't be as pretty, but repairing is almost always less expensive in real life, and I'd prefer to see it that way in SotA.

2. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

I wonder how all of this gold sink garbage will affect the SP experience.

3. silencer

silencer Avatar

I've always assumed that the augmented plate sold in Owl's Head is a placeholder, since crafting is very bare bones now and only has seen a very initial pass at implementation.

I'm assuming that it will vanish from that store as soon as crafting is implemented to a point where it needs fine tuning, as it is, since tuning crafting is not even a thing yet (I doubt Gathering is at that point either) the armors are there so its easier to get to the places that need heavier focus and testing.

Yes, at this point its a better idea to buy new aug armor than repair them with kits. But I am assuming that "manual" repairs at a crafting table and the actual prices (or the ease of crafting) of repair products will be way more acceptable once crafting features are included. Even now with gathering it's a tad easier to craft the kits, but it's honestly not yet worth it afaik, I have not checked yet.

The two durability saving skills do make a fairly noticeable difference too btw.

Either way, the current system is fairly clearly a placeholder to me, so I wound't be specially worried about how it works right now, it's just not the time yet.

4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

In the meantime I just carry an extra set of leather armor with me and destroy the damaged gear when it wears out.

5. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

What? Absolutely not.

Go to to a player and have them repair them for you. it's perfectly fine that repair kits are expencive.

6. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

When my augmented leather chest armor reaches ~50% wear (that's the armor piece most easily damaged), I go to an armorer, sell the old and buy a new set.

Gaelis and Ice Queen like this.
  7. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

...When player repairs will be ingame, you mean?

Duke Arradin and Gaelis like this.
  8. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

I think it's hard to tell as the economy is not even in its infancy yet and we really don't know how much gold is a lot of gold.

What I have found works best is to wait until they are sitting at 100g then buy a bulk load to last the week if you are using crafted gear, or as the posters above have confirmed it is indeed cheaper to just buy a new set of augmented plate than do a full repair if your using augmented.

Gaelis likes this.
  9. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I agree that repair kits should be lower in price and repair more than they currently do. 50-100 gold each and repair 40 points is about right .

10. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

ebon elites drop 15-30 gold each and are 1500 exp. sustainable grind.

Gaelis likes this.
  11. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Once single player offline exists, I will happily join any rebalance project. SOTA is interesting in the sense that, assuming it can be modded, we will be able to see exactly how much the developers had to compromise gameplay to enable multiplayer.
    Sir, that phrase is truly horrifying.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Not to the 40 or so people that instantly ran there apparently. The phrase that really strikes fear is "casual gamer".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.