We are One - The PvP & PvE Compromise

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Benn289, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TantX

TantX Avatar

Spoon, you quoted my statement about memorable MMO moments and said things like "individual", "infamous vs. famous" and then cited an incident on WoW. That's all you did. I think you like arguing for the sake of arguing. If you google "memorable MMO moments", you won't find "Staring at digital sunset in multiplayer game by myself" (I see this one a ton on the forums and it makes me laugh, like that tinfoil hat who covers web cameras to prevent spying).

My point is, was and has always been that griefing created memorable moments. Can things other than griefing be memorable to an individual? Of course, but paying customers don't give a damn that you played by yourself watching a friggin' sunset or grinded a dungeon or explored a hilltop. It's 2015, it's all been done before. People who are going to pay for a game, who are going to fund the ability for you to see Episode 2 (which, let's face it, is when we're going to see 50% of the promised things anyway), want to know what makes a game stand out. Hearing about players locking down a road or a fast travel or a respawn by killing the NPC in a non-PvP zone is what makes news and gets people talking and piquing their interest, not that you spent $5K on a virtual house.

What enjoyment you get out of the subtle elements of the game, smelling the roses, isn't going to keep Portalarium afloat. The trends of threads and posts on these forums are very evident of that. The money raised so far doesn't just need to carry us to launch; it has to carry us beyond, long enough to make sales to keep servers up, to keep in-game updates and bug fixes in the works, to maintain progress towards Episode 2 and then Episode 3. Major player induced events keep people's attention, get folks excited. They don't have to be griefing-related, no, but you pick the top 5 or top 10 or whatever out on Google, and more than half will be. Don't blow it off because it doesn't appeal to your inner monologue while you bushwhack across NPC orc infested woods by yourself.

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

But, those things will bring in the people who are interested and push away those who are not if that's what they see about the game.

What about the hearing about a intricate economy, a deep and satisfying crafting system, a large interactive world full of interesting quests and interactions?

If players locking down the road or a fast travel...or some moron killing all the npc's in a town is all I heard about the game I doubt I would be interested in it.

Ice Queen likes this.
  3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Which Leroy are you two talking about?
    I thought that the famous LEEROY JENKINS was the vid where his friends was making an elaborate plan while Leroy was AFK. Then when he returns he promptly storms into the battle ruining the plan, the moment and the party.
    Neither griefing nor exploits were involved, just beer. Where one overly refreshed player was acting rashly getting the party killed. A facepalm moment. (Possibly staged as well =).

Check out any if the interviews with Ben Schulz at the time.

Tahru likes this.
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Leroy Jenkins was "Cooperative" PvE.

5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

People don't talk about Leroy like they wish he was in their group. Heck, I remember frat parties with "memories" I laugh about. Doesn't mean I want to be in a frat and I don't wan't to be playing a game designed around that play style.

Tahru likes this.
  6. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

Also, #5 on that list (which was obviously looked up to forward the off-topic points) was also PVE and straight forward. An aspect of PVE content (killing the Sleeper in EQ) that was indeed, extremely difficult to pull off. On topic, I agree that the compromise that is in the works seems fairly good and I am satisfied with it thus far. I am concerned however for the level of content that will exist in this game though.

7. TantX

TantX Avatar

"Cooperative". lol

DavenRock [MGT] likes this.
  8. Hugsforpeace

Hugsforpeace Avatar

Because some people enjoy it, and who are you to judge another person's play style?

9. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

Hmm, bait much?

10. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Generally anything that falls under the category of griefing is also a breach of rules. Much like real life.

Ice Queen, Dryxaline, Gaelis and 2 others like this.
  11. Hugsforpeace

Hugsforpeace Avatar

My point exactly. You are tossing out blanket statements that mean nothing.

Tahru likes this.
  12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Who are you to think people should follow the rules;)

Spoon and Hugsforpeace like this.
  13. Hugsforpeace

Hugsforpeace Avatar

The circle jerk is strong here. Again, greifing is quite a blanket statement. Killing someone in the middle of combat why they are trying to loot their corpse to return to battle could be considered greifing. Preventing players into a dungeon while a world boss is happening could be considered greifing. A handful of you are so enraptured by your own ideas that you can't even look at a bigger picture.

14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

So, what is the bigger picture? It seems that statement you made at the end could easily apply to your arguments.

Hugsforpeace likes this.
  15. Hugsforpeace

Hugsforpeace Avatar

That is exactly the point. Instead of discussing ideas, people are quick to vote one side or the other, while a game is in pre-alpha. Drop the basic arguments and pull out some theory crafting and ideas of balanced systems that can suit everyone.

Edit- Forgive me for any grammatical errors, I'm at the bar on my phone and it's hell posting from here.

16. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Pretty hard to take any of that seriously. If you want to campaign for integrated support for upsetting people and being disruptive.. good luck with that.

Ice Queen and Dryxaline like this.
  17. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Open PvP is off the table for the entire server. Chris Spears said there will be instances with varying loot rules. You could go the whole game sticking to PvP zones and PvP PoTs once the game is launched.

Dryxaline and benn289 like this.
  18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Why bother. We don't need to discuss pre-alpha, we have more details in their plan to discuss than what is currently in the game.

If we all keep to the design the devs have announced and stop bouncing it off of other games, like pre-trammel UO. We can all have a conversation that works toward a similar goal. We also need to stay away from the mix of all styles. PvE, Open PvP, PvP hexes, they all have different systems. But when people post about their preferred style someone always comes in and objects from a different preferred style.

Impossible to have a discussion when the subject matter is two, or more, different topics. Full loot =/= Shardfall =/= Open PvP =/= PvE.

rune_74 and Destroying Angel like this.
  19. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I wish Leeroy was in my group, people like him are fun.

fantalio likes this.
  20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

But not successful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.