Weapon Kill counter?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Knight2, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight2

Knight2 Avatar

This might be the wrong area to post, but what about having weapons we use include a total # of kills with that said weapon.

When you highlight a on your person or in a bag, where the description is there will be a Kills counter that shows how many kills have been done by that weapon. That would be an interesting way for people to see how they liked using their particular weapon, as they repair it or upgrade it, it retains that number since its the original weapon. Or they can upgrade or repair then sell it on a vendor or put it on their wall for others to see "10,000 Kills" and they would know this is a nice weapon or they can see it in your house and think, "wow, you have done a lot with this guy"

Its nothing crazy, but I think it would be kind of fun and a neat way to start a story or myth about a particular weapon in a players life.

2. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

+1, I like this idea.

The only thing I would change - I would prefer if the kill count didn't just pop up when you hovered over the item. It would be cooler, I think, if you had to go get it appraised (by using a special skill or going to a special NPC) who could tell you how many kills it had

And maybe, for "retired" weapons, if you had the requisite kills with the weapon you could buy an official "10000 kills" plaque to hang it on. This is sort of an achievement system for weapons, which is sort of silly but also kind of cool since it can add to the legendary feel of old weapons.

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Killing lots of stuff for the sake of killing seems kind of silly. Slaying a certain dragon or bandit lord might have more meaning.

4. Knight2

Knight2 Avatar

I like that idea Alayth, he plaque is kind of silly, but does kind of put a certain achievement system of its own for weapons.

@Primerib, I understand but I think of old stories where you hear about a ledgendary sword that has slain 1000's or orcs or trolls, things like that and people want to see it or one day achieve that. That's all I am thinking, count only creatures as in anything that could potentially kill you, do NOT count rabbits or squirrels and little creatures that don't do anything for you. Only the dangerous ones would count.

Its more of a way to say, wow I killed x amount, because you have to understand not everyone will be hunters or killers, a lot will be tavern owners, farmers, tailors, smiths and whatnot and stay in town and make their own stories, and for them to walk in your house and see a great axe with 10,239 kills, they would be WHOA!, nice job man, cause they don't do it. Just like when they make weapons and armor for you to use, you think WHOA, that's cool, thanks and run out there. Plus for someone who made a weapon for you and checks later that you still use it and has so many kills, they would think, awesome glad my weapon kept you alive. ;)

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If they go with the idea that the weapon could gain perks after killing X number of a particular thing than they would have to track those stats anyway.. So this idea wouldn't really be much of a stretch. I'm not really sure if I like it though. It seems like a possible immersion breaker for me. There's no way someone could just look at it and tell how many of what the weapon took a kill blow on.. not unless it was some sort of magical spell.

On the other hand.. you should be able to put descriptions on items you sell. If you want to claim it's made 10k kills then you should be able to. (Not that it necessarily be true) and the case could be made that the wielder would know.. so you should be able to look up the stats yourself of how many kills you made with a given weapon.

6. Strongsquirrel1

Strongsquirrel1 Avatar

A kill counter is not bad, I just think that the weapon should take more damage from use if I killed an enemy in plate mail, than an enemy in leather armor. I could see a kill counter still working as Bowen said, maybe by using a spell on a gem in the hilt

As for selling it then, I would say what its durability is instead of kill count, since who wants a rabbit to count for the same amount of use, as a player in heavy armor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.