Weapons and armor crafting

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Baroness Innessa Lelani, Nov 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baroness Innessa Lelani

Baroness Innessa Lelani Avatar

Not sure if I fully understand at this point so I thought it best to ask. Will weapons and armor have "magic" properties in this game and if so will they be craftable?

For example in UO you could craft a base weapon using a regular tool, or use a runic tool to give it magic properties such as bleed or enhanced durability. Furthermore you could "imbue" even more properties on it, tailoring it to your desires.

I'm wondering if any of these concepts are coming to SOTA. Or will crafters just be making plain weapons and armor with no enhancements (thereby making everyone equal so to speak). I'm wondering what would set crafters apart from each other without any type of real skill or complexity being involved. Wouldn't people just buy from the lowest priced crafter?

The next obvious question of course is whether magic weapons or armor will be found during combat with enemies, meaning you can't make them but you will be able to find them in the world? If so, won't that further reduce any need for weapon/armor crafters?

Thx

Lonn the Earl and Lord Baldrith like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Weapons and armor can be enchanted using gems. All gems come from ONE place, the Graf Mines in Northeast Novia.

Gems can come in a variety of colors and quality, and will require someone to actually cast the spell they are enchanting the item with.

So to get a quality item that is also enchanted, it's going to take A LOT of work. Check this out...

You'll need someone to gather the resources.
    You'll need someone to create the item. (this is not going to be one person, the skill system isn't going to allow one person to create a single item - just trust me on this...there will be people that argue this point, they're wrong)
    You'll need someone to get the gems and enchant them.
    You''ll need someone to cast the spell.

This actually looks easier than it will be. There's going to be a lot of regional resources. So just finding the reagents to cast the spell is not going to be as simple as going to your local market place. You're going to need connections. And that wood you're using may not be very good in your area so for a nice fancy enchanted item you'll need (or at least want) the best wood and that only comes from the forest of X which just happens to be 3 control points over, and no one in your area has seen that type of wood in three weeks. Now multiple that times all the ingredients needed to make the item and you'll begin to see how crazy this is going to be to make the very best items that are also enchanted with really good spells.

It's going to be fun.

Spoon and Moonshadow like this.
  3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yes and Yes.
    Some but not the same way. But we have not yet seen this implemented so we don't know the exact features nor the level of complexity.
    No. Quite the opposite. Not only will there be quality tiers, there will be enhancement tiers as well. There is a specific pledge item that says:
    So if we speculate from that there is "enchantments" and there is some imbue process. There is also the quality tiers which can be improved by enhancement (not to be confused with enchantments with almost identical spelling - man I hope that change the names so we don't have both of those).
    There is the branding factor - all items crafted by you will have your mark.
    Then there is the known quality + enchantment + enhancements etc etc, there has even been talks of abilities giving different textures etc.
    So there will definately be lots of opportunity to make unique items.

Then there is the affinity thing, that if you slay a big bunch of kobolds with it then it might become "kobold slaying" etc. So there will be a system of making them truly unique but then you need the cooperation of a crafter and a PvEr.

Nope. MOBs will get their "treasure" stuff from the crafters.
    There are a couple of statements from the devs on this:
    -The best items in the game will be player created, not system created
    -When you sell crafted items to an NPC vendor they keep some for sale, and some we remove and put in the loot lists
    -There will be almost no personal item that you cannot craft, the goal is to have as much as possible craftable

So the best gear is made by players, and even the gear on MOBs is made by players.
    The exception seems to be some low level stuff like "kobold hammer" and such, and of course unique stuff from pledges.
    If so - but it isn't so - so no.

4. Baroness Innessa Lelani

Baroness Innessa Lelani Avatar

Very good. Thank you for your responses.

5. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

i'll just be happy when we can repair our stuff or even make it and i'm sure the bandits and skelitons would agree since about all we can do at this point is use their hand me downs:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.