We're doing this PVP XP Bonus thing all wrong.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Poor game design, Feb 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Players should only get a PVP Bonus if there's actually someone else in the same scene and not in their group.

If that condition is not true...where's the risk?

Womby and Solazur like this.
  2. Selene

Selene Avatar

I get your point, but that might be a little hard to track, though. Plus, players could get around this by parking a naked alt in the zone that's not in party.

Womby, FrostII, Solazur and 3 others like this.
  3. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

No.. I see people get ganked all the time when flagged for PVP and grouped. That's the whole point. You get rewards until...

When/if the community gets bigger you will see it a lot. It's just that the community is small now, and the current founders are the friendlier type of players... if only I could get my PVP clans to come here... you would see the benefit... :D

Armar, Stundorn, Numa and 4 others like this.
  4. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

The risk is that anyone can show up at anytime.

There will always be less risk in under trafficked zones. This is made yet less of a risk w/ the small current population. Nevertheless, the risk does exist and will only grow as population grows and, IMHO, the xp bonus serves as an excellent general incentive for entering the "second layer" of game play that SotA offers (PVP).

Once people get high enough level to be comfortable in their skin, they will realize just how very tough and durable their skin is - avatars gain in hp, focus, to hit chance, dodge, etc w/ every level; they are tanks and don't even know it - and the xp incentive to flag will be more of a no brainer for many an avatar in many a situation. More robust players will flag and the PVP second layer of the game will start to grow in a social way.

This is the potential I see for the game and this is why I am for the xp bonus for flagging (and also why I was disheartened to see the outcries against it). Removing it would be removing an incentive of obvious general appeal which would have the detrimental effect of giving the general player community significantly less of a reason to unlock their hidden potential in this second layer of our game.

5. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

why should solo pvp Players get penalised because Other choose not to enter the zone?

Armar and MrBlight like this.
  6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Reminded me of the christmas video @Envy did for some reason.

And I dont agree the more reasons to toggle the better. Sounds like a punishment to require another player staying in the same scene to get any bonuses.

Id love to see a pvp faction like uo had.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Duke Avery likes this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

They shouldn't get penalized, they just shouldn't get the bonus when there's zero risk.

If you're in a zone and no one else is there, it's no different than single player online.

Womby likes this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

Here's the story behind that.

A player used a known bug to kill me in my POT. The bug was a positioning error that caused players to be invisible and untargetable. The result was that while I was building my POT, lightning bolts from every direction on my screen killed me in a few seconds. That player derailed another thread by posting that screen shot, because he was apparently proud to have killed me (by exploit) and because he and some other players would rather attack me (the player) and not my ideas for which they often have poor arguments.

The player's guild leader was so happy about it he made a completely new thread about it. When both threads were closed, he made a video about it.

Now the screen shot is being used again by another player so that attention will be taken away from what I'm trying to do, which is make pvp better by balancing risk vs. reward. Ya see, what some players fail to realize is that "old UO" became old for a lot of very good reasons. It's not a business model that works, being the primary one. Because no players show up to a game saying "I really want to be the loser" or "I really want to be the sheep". Players simply don't do that.

But right now we have another problem, the fact that players can get the experience bonus and the moment someone else jumps into the scene with them they can run out of the scene and go somewhere else. There's really only risk for players that stick around, not for the players that leave when someone joins the scene. That's my point. That players should only be getting that bonus when there's actual risk.

Womby and Stundorn like this.
  9. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

What you're doing is soliciting for a greifing opportunity. Imaging being alone in a PVP scene and BAM - early warning indicator lights up top left... errrr... I mean, the Daring Adventurer bonus kicks in because someone else just entered the scene. The people that flag, they know there's a risk - everyone flags for different reasons, but we all know it's a risk. If you really want to make PVP better for everyone - try flagging for Open PVP and just come out and play. :)

10. Drocis the Devious

There's already a question mark that appears in the scene when a PVP player enters. It doesn't happen that way in POT's, but there's nothing that gives you XP in POTs so your statement is completely incorrect.

I play meaningful PVP. I'm attempting to help the devs deliver that. Until then, I PVP when and where I choose to.

Outside of the exploit kill, I haven't been killed yet. I've killed five other players. (six if I count the guy that came back for more)

11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Uo got old because the graphics are from the 90s, many people still play it today 20years later. If you never played it then you will never understand its greatness.

Factions was a blast because you could take over cities for your faction and place guards the other factions would have to kill the guards to take over the city so they could place thier guards. However this isnt uo, this game has little pvp content that pulls people into pvp to try it. Anything that makes it more desirable and encourages people to try it im a fan of. Imagine an oposing faction taking over owls head and u needed to kill a few tough guards so u could take controll and hire ur own guards. People would show up to help and or and defend these guards, thats a good time.

As far as the video I found it entertaining I dont know any of the story behind it and didnt care if he killed you or someone else did and he took credit for it. Ive died many times in pvp my self so w/e.

Duke Avery likes this.
  12. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

There are no unknown indicators in PVP scenes... wow - how long has it been since you've come out of Rat's Nets? Seriously man - PVP multiplayer scenes have no indicators until you've actually run into someone (scoreboard). In adventure scenes, anyone there is a potential threat to Open PVP flagged players... PVE players grief all the time by following folks around and flagging on the fly.

All removing the bonus does is remove the bonus and will ultimately discourage people from flagging - because the risk will not be perceived as being worth the reward.

What we need is a faction system embedded into the world and real choice/consequence game mechanics for PVP.

13. Drocis the Devious

I've played UO. I think a faction system would be good for this game.

But the idea that "anything" that brings people into pvp is a good thing is not something I agree with. One of the problems with UO was that it brought players into PVP by force and they often left in force. We don't want that here, we want PVP to be fun so that people stay because they like it. I doubt that's happening right now, one of the reasons for that is because risk is not balanced with reward.

14. Drocis the Devious

You're not reading what I wrote. You can't get an XP bonus for a POT because there's nothing to farm there. This thread really has nothing to do with POTs, but for you bringing it up.

That's a different issue.

That's also a different issue. I agree that a faction system would be good for the game and I assume we'll eventually have that. But until then it makes no sense to give a bonus to people that are not taking the actual risk.

15. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I think you really need to come out of your POT and check out any Ruin in the game, or Shardfall, or Blood Bay... seriously - immediately you'd understand what I was talking about. Because your only PVP experiences are in your POT you really don't know what you're talking about here. In forced multiplayer PVP scenes (not just POTs) - there is no Nearby Players UI... it becomes a scoreboard and the only time it serves to show who's in the scene is after you've already encountered the person.

16. Drocis the Devious

Yes, correct about Shardfalls and Ruins. They work that way. So fine, keep the bonus for those areas. That makes sense to me.

But not Deep Ravenswood. Not the Fall. Not some place that has no players and you KNOW there are no players.

17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I wish that score board thing would go a way. I wish the ? Would go away also, there is no surprise factor and no feeling of you have to look over your shoulder.

Save the score boards for battle grounds.

18. Drocis the Devious

I agree.

Btw, do you know why the score board no longer shows players (in shardfalls and ruins)? Do you know why Shardfalls and Ruins are multiplayer only? Because I asked for it. I begged for. I championed it.

Sometimes it really amazes me how people develop this imaginary story narrative that I don't want "real" pvp. What I want is meaningful, fun pvp. I want balance. There's a big difference between what some people say I want and what I've been fighting for over the last 3 years.

Womby and Brass Knuckles like this.
  19. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

So you're saying even if there's another PVE player in the scene the PVP bonus would become active? That sounds like a grief/exploit just waiting to happen.

20. Drocis the Devious

That already happens now.

What I'm saying is that if you go into some no where spot where no one ever goes to, you shouldn't get a bonus if no one else is there.

Ideally, non-flagged people shouldn't be able to attack flagged people in the first place. But since they can, the argument can be made that there is "risk" and so flagged people should get the bonus when there's another PVE player there. But if there's just two PVE players in the scene, then no bonus because there's no risk. If you're not flagged for PVP, no bonus because there's no risk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.