What happened to Cards combat?? Post your support to see it here!

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by mike11, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike11

mike11 Avatar

So, I was noticing that there seems to be not much talk about the cards combat.

It seems like Portalarium have likely stopped work on a card mechanic? Could be just speculation but it I haven't seen any talk of it, especially since I think we are 2-3 months late on that target but the continuous changing of the schedule is understandable.

So if anything post your support to see it happen here. Why?? Well we all know that there is a certain 'boring' aspect to the regular hotbar style combat that so many MMO know.. While not a bad thing, really I think that there is at least some promise for a better implementation of the hotbar idea, and one of those is a card based system of 'delivering' your combat ability choices.

Also, there is a chance to graphically make something impressive or slick with the GUI element of the Card mechanic. Some cards would be shown as turned away or as a part of one or more stacks.

Chris's early version that was announced (link here) sounded interesting and, maybe not a totally proven idea for a online game it's principles sounded somewhat strong.. When choosing to reference a good combat system one of the top names that comes up is card game themes or chess. If not totally using the card combat I'm sure some of it is at least good.

By designing the GUI elements well the result could potentially be pleasing to see in action as movements can coincide with combat actions taken, as well as build up of cards and other things like timers timing down. Accumulation of points can have a element that shows heightening power or opportunity and just plain old timers as well such as enrage seen in some other games.

There has already been much done with combat styles and magic paths that those can also come into play and be found in the card system to make it more visually or customized for individual fighters. Wizards role or fighter role, stealth role and tank role?? I have to refresh myself more on where the team is at with detailed fighting documents.

Anyways I can't seem to figure out what is going on with this lately I would like to see a update if they are still considering Card combat.

cheers

2. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

its scheduled to be in release 9.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think we're about to hear more soon. I would be surprised if we didn't get a release or two with some form of the card system.

I'm a supporter of the card system concept. I think the typical pvp combat systems in MMO's are horrible, lack depth, and favor people that attack first and use "the best way to inflict max damage". They're really all the same so I look forward to people trying new stuff out in the hopes that "we can do better" than the lame nonsense we've had to put up with all other games.

4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I think the concerns have been made known.
    I think everyone is open minded about some kind of innovation.
    Now we just want to see what they have, instead of debating some straw-man we don't really understand.

Akro, NRaas, Tachys and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.